Privileged: Quarantine is making me learn Japanese faster

I haven’t seen one of these, if there are I’m so sorry. So, it’s pretty straight forward, even though I have my uni classes online, there’s so much time! I find myself doing every single review on time. And with the 2020 spring Japanese learning resources from Tofugu (thank you so so much), I’m also hearing, reading Japanese 24/7!
I do know that this is because I’m really privileged, I’m curious about you guys, has your Japanese learning path been helped by covid19 or otherwise?
Sorry about my English! not the best.
Also, if you have some more resources you could share, it would be great.

12 Likes

I’m a high school student so online classes take up about 2 or so hours of my day instead of the normal 9 or so. I have a lot more free time due to corona and most of it I spend on wanikani.

6 Likes

I’m also doing better with more time to work on Japanese. I’m able to do my reviews when they show up. Even better, I now have time to get going on grammar, and have learned a lot of grammar.

3 Likes

I’ve had a lot of extra free time as well. Going back to work in two days though, so we will see how things change.

4 Likes

This is the second time in my life I can learn two languages in parallel. Now I’ve time to practice grammar I hate the most. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

What other language are you learning?

2 Likes

Taiwanese Hokkien.

3 Likes

Oh wow another language that uses the character system. Good luck! :smile:

3 Likes

I felt less motivated in the beginning of the pandemic because before I used to do a lot of reviews sitting in the train… Sitting at home with all this time kind of shocked me at first. Then I got more used to it and actually started focusing more on grammar and reading! So, back on track :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Good luck! Be careful :heartbeat:

1 Like

hahaha, wow! I couldn’t keep up with two, that’s great! teach us some Taiwanese sometime!
I have a bipolar relationship with grammar as well :joy:

1 Like

I used to fit Wanikani to my busy routine as well, I remember doing them in the 10 minutes I had free, although most of my review scores wouldn’t go higher than 70 because of the rush! And when the pandemic started I did them in bed so the scores would’t go high again, no I do sit on my desk, couple 90s since then :joy::joy:

Yeah I´m leveling once every 7 days now instead of once every 9 days. After I finish my current level (40) I´ll be entering super-fast-leveling-territory! Curious to see how that’s going to affect my reviews.

2 Likes

Well I’m studying about the same amount BUT I have a ton of free time so I’m watching a lot more Japanese Let’s Play videos, does that count? :joy: It IS getting a lot of vocab added to my Anki deck…

2 Likes

I send my support, please do tell us about how it goes :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Classes take up much less time than they previously did, so I have more time to learn.

I’m not on 24/7, but, thanks to the schedule, I plan out when to check during the day.

1 Like

:joy: totally, I’ve been watching a vlog made for Spanish speakers and discovering a bunch of Japanese beauty gurus, and the new vocabulary is endless.

1 Like

I had actually intended to stop studying Japanese but got back into it because I wanted something to fill my time during quarantine besides netflix. I was previously around level 11 on WK but decided to reset. I’ve been going through the levels super quickly, partly because I half-remember most of this stuff but also because working from home makes it much easier to stealthily do reviews during the workday.

4 Likes

Don’t be stealthy! Embrace our cult leader lord and savior, the Crabigator!

3 Likes

I haven’t exactly stopped working but we definitely slowed down. I’m practically deskwarming in the office most of the time, and that’s given me a chance to study at least one grammar point a day, on top of wanikani. I’m almost halfway through N4 grammar now, whereas it took around 3-4 months for me to study just N5 grammar :muscle:

1 Like