Privileged: Quarantine is making me learn Japanese faster

Recent life motto; if you’re learning new vocab words, it counts as studying! :joy:

3 Likes

I’m learning a bit faster; doing reviews & lessons as soon as they come up. I’ve been home for more than a month so far & my main project is scanning 35mm film & archiving it. 183 rolls of 333 scanned so far. Scanner is going from about 6am to 10pm; averaging 8 rolls per day. Slow, tedious work. Advice for anyone wanting to archive family photos: just get a flatbed scanner & scan the prints. Faster, easier than negatives. Scanning negatives =s more control over final results. I want to scan a lot now because once I go back to a normal work schedule I’ll have less free time. Want to spend more time studying WK, reading texts. Still haven’t looked at macro photos of flowers I shot in April; at least a day of work to edit that.

Keep chipping away, everyone.

2 Likes

Omg, do you have a site or an Instagram account where you post your work, I personally do love scanning family photo albums, so interesting. :eyes:

welcome back! :star:

1 Like

Family albums, good idea. Years ago I sat down with my grandma & scanned old photos, had her tell me about them. Two months after that she passed away. Had I not done that scanning, those stories would have been forgotten. Glad I did it. Scanning I’m doing now is my life since college. I just started Insta & am johndomjp Some good stuff & I rarely post, but my best I don’t like to post online; it goes on my walls.

2 Likes

I’ve actually slowed down significantly because I work at a grocery store and suddenly became an “essential worker”. I’m getting back into studying as of a couple days ago, as things are becoming marginally less stressful at work, but honestly the last couple months exhausted me lol.

4 Likes

Maybe ‘guiltily’ is a better word than stealthily. I don’t think my high-ups understand my devotion to the crabigator >.<

1 Like

Can’t imagine the amount of work load you had, I imagine also emotionally. I hope things return back to normal soon for you and everyone else, If we can be of any help, here for you!

1 Like

I’m also suddenly having a lot more free time, and decided to get going with Japanese again as well. Thanks a lot for the tofugu link!

1 Like

I had a lull in WK prior to lockdown but have got back into it and am on top of my reviews and now ploughing through more lessons.

I also do night classes. The last lesson of last term - with a test! - was on the day the UK announced a lockdown so we all blew the test (well, those of us who showed up) and after that I couldn’t face any revision or practice for a few weeks.

Classes have started again online and I’m starting to get my rhythm of homework and practice back together.

1 Like

Excellent! and no problem, they have a ton of other lists about resources too.

I totally get it, I have online classes from 3pm to 9 pm, and I surprisingly have gracefully managed my schedule. It feels so good to finish my activities, do my last review and go to sleep. Getting a bit tired of my routine though, thankfully I have many cats to look after.

1 Like

Holy sh dude, I see that you’ve already reached level 42 and no doubt fast approaching level 43! :exploding_head: Keep it up!!

2 Likes

Yeah I’m currently lvl 43 (the forum might be lagging with updating my level) and I’ll be leveling in 2 days again. I messed up a little bit so this level is going to take me a couple more days than it should have, but I guess that’s fine.

The schedule is a bit tighter than usual, but I guess that was to be expected :sweat_smile: Once you level you suddenly have a whole lot of lessons available. This is because you’re getting the vocabulary from the kanji you just guru’d, but also the kanji from the new level you just unlocked. I can tell by the amount of reviews I have to do that I have a lot more apprentice-level items than usual. I think I went from around 150 reviews a day to about 200 reviews a day.

I hope you all doing well yourself :grinning:

P.S. I’m happy I finally got to learn 誰 (だれ, who) on WaniKani as I’ve known it for so long already.

P.P.S. @pilimeds I suppose you wanted me to keep you updated, so here’s your ping :wink:

3 Likes

That’s awesome, I can’t wait till I complete level three to actually start making some good traction on Kanji. I just have a few exams in a couple of weeks then I can fully turn my attention to Japanese before the new year starts. This is gonna be fun :yum:

2 Likes

As an essential person, my schedule hasn’t changed much but my family’s schedule has gone berserk! I like to do reviews on a computer but my kids, now out of school, are always on it. And my wife wants to go for walks all of a sudden. She never wanted to before. So yeah. Reviews are hard to do right now.

2 Likes

I feel like quarantine has hid the fact that no one would have seen me for three months anyway because I discovered Japanese grammar and it’s everything I never knew I wanted.

2 Likes

Thank you for the update!! You ARE going fast, here in my country people are starting to go back in business, except for us students. I hope I can really keep on going my flow so that when everything returns back to normal I just have to give the last stretches hahahaha. Can’t wait to hear more of you!
P.S. I get super excited when I learn kanji of words I love :heart:

1 Like

Thank you for your response, I can only imagine! I too think that doing reviews on the computer is the best way to do them.
When I’m doing reviews near my family I always tell them funny facts about Japanese, I wonder if your kids might get bored though :joy:

Right? The only thing my friends see on my social media is me getting excited over learning how to read 宿題 (which is homework). Japanese is definitely my best buddy during these times as well.