Practicing recall (e.g. reversed flashcard)

What is your strategy to do this? Even if reversed flashcard is possible, what do you put on the front side anyway? English?

I actually have some other ideas, like cloze test. Or even not really flashcard at all, like some kind of synthesis.

Furthermore, do you practice writing? For example, I do practice writing on AnkiDroid. (That is, Anki, but on smartphone.)

Lastly, after doing reversed flashcard for a while, some problems arise,

• Grammar / usage in sentences
  • Similar meanings, resulting in recalling multiple answers, and wanting a thesaurus explanation
  • Multiple meanings for a vocabulary, but single reversed card?

I doubt that pure EN => JP works well…

There are some issues, with synonym confusion for sure (i.e. girl or boy = ???). Even so, you might wanna try KaniWani for English → Japanese reviewing.

1 Like

I use KameSame for this. You could give it a go and see if you like it.

1 Like

I use Kitsun for Eng->Jp. I like that each card has full dictionary build which reduces quite bit of synonym issues with other cards. Plus I want to know all meanings associated to a vocab word just so I’m aware. I prefer having En->Jp in my same session (though sibling delay is possible if prefer not to spoil) as reading/means as it strengthens my retention…something I thought WK should have had to begin with so I have a single SRS system to control my pace, not 3rd party programs in separate SRS cycles that become to difficult to manage and reason why I dropped them. I don’t want waste time with manual input on Eng->Jp with synonym issues either on items that share the same meaning so I turn it off…this is a complete waste of time on top of the additional time required to manual input IMO.

Cloze test is essential what BunPro is it seems, perhaps you have different layout idea…not sure how it works with Eng front. I’ve run into issues of similar meaning grammar points and fishing around for the ‘correct’ answer, another synonym issue that can be frustrating especially at higher N levels where there a number of correct choices but just one accepted.

I practice writing with a Eng->Jp writing deck on Kitsun where I will write the kanji based on Eng meaning and Jp reading…I tried keep of much as a build out to avoid synonym issue to focus on writing and the dictionary helped along with stroke order diagrams. For iphone I have to use a simp Chinese keyboard for the handwriting which isn’t perfect but it gets the job done mostly. Android is probably better. But overall, it’s been largely beneficial and wish I worked on this alot sooner to iron out the similar looking kanji issues or being overly dependent on collocations to aid reading.

The kanji deck is one of the manual input deck nowadays. If the testing criteria is setup where even a native can’t get it correct on the relative first or second attempt, the method is now suspect on its time efficiency to me.

1 Like

I realized that it is possible to use デジタル大辞泉 to generate the front side of a recall card. Although, it sometimes needs editing to remove the traces of the actual vocabulary.

It looks like this.

1 わからないことや不確かなことを、いろいろな方法で確かめる。調査する。研究する。「渡り鳥の生態を―・べる」「電話帳で番号を―・べる」

2 不都合な点や異常・ごまかしなどがないか、実物に当たって確かめる。検査する。点検する。「所持品を―・べる」「帳簿を―・べる」「故障がないかどうか、エンジンを―・べる」

3 罪状などをはっきりさせるために、あれこれと問いただす。とりしらべる。「重要参考人として―・べる」

4 音楽を演奏する。「琴を―・べる」

5 いろいろに音を出して、音律を合わせ整える。調子を合わせる。

「次の『紀文大尽』に出る夫人が三味線を―・べている」〈三島・純白の夜〉

6 調子に乗る。

「わづかに聞き得たることをば、我もとより知りたることのやうに、こと人にも語り―・ぶるもいとにくし」〈枕・二八〉

The only problem I see, that it might not be ideal for drawing Kanji and writing vocabularies by hand, as it already revealed too many Kanji and radicals.

My card styling as of now (with SentenceAudio + JapaneseAudio autoplay’d). Of course, it changed a little from a while ago. I adapt every now and then.

Back

I feel that Goo Progressive JE dictionary is partially translated, though it doesn’t necessarily include all definitions in 大辞林. At least sentences in many contexts are included (i.e. don’t just include random but similar context sentences).

It isn’t necessarily copy-pasta from JJ dictionary. I might need to edit a little. (There is still the original in some note fields)

Back

The front side is missing ちゅうじき, while the actual JJ entry / back side has it. I am not sure whether I should include ひるげ / ひるけ, though.

I also notice for a while that 大辞林 doesn’t necessarily include some definitions I have seen either. (i.e. people use it, but dictionary officials don’t recognize it - so, if for Wiki’s, such definitions may possibly be included?)

There are also times when I can’t find a JJ entry; but there are results on Google. Might post more later.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.