Please check a few very simple sentences, thank you

パトリックさんの年齢はごじゅうごさいです。

お母さんの仕事はパイロットです。

お兄さんの専攻は歴史です。

エドワードさんの国籍はイギリスです。 Or should it end in イギリス人です。

Could you please let me know if I have made any mistakes. (I want to practice making more sentences, and want to make sure I’ve made them right first). Thank you very much.

1 Like

We have a thread dedicated to writing sentences and getting feedback :slight_smile:

I think that’s grammatically correct, but usually one would say something like this:
パトリックさんは55歳です。 Patrick is 55 years old.

Usually that would be:
お母さんはパイロットです。 My mother is a pilot.
or for the non-kana word instead of パイロット - 操縦士:
お母さんは操縦士です。
Also, assuming one is talking about one’s own mother (which is the case when no extra context is given), 母 is sufficient:
母はパイロットです。

I would say イギリス人, since it’s nationality. イギリス alone refers to the country.
If you want to emphasize that Edward comes from England:
エドワードはイギリス出身です。

7 Likes

Thank you so much for all your help. I’ll join the Sentence and Day Challenge, and try to figure out the userscripts. :smile:

4 Likes

In fact, only 母 is correct - you use more formal terms for other people’s relatives, and more humble terms for your own. Similarly, お兄さん should be just 兄 for your own older brother.

4 Likes

I would say that’s not 100% true. If the goal is to be respectful, speaking of one’s relative or addressing them with さん is okay. At least that’s what I’ve seen so far :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This could of course just be something that my Japanese teacher is doing to simplify things, but she very often emphasises that 母 is ‘my mother’, whereas お母さん is ‘someone else’s mother’. That’s in line with this:

I don’t think it’s wrong to speak to your own family with さん and so on, and they can be affectionately respectful forms of address, but using those terms when talking to other people formally may cause confusion.

However, based on some of the VTuber stream snippets I’ve seen, I guess it’s OK if you’re telling a story fairly casually, even if you’re using polite language… but that’s only because the story’s casualness will allow you to use pet names like ママ or かあちゃん. In an actual formal context, especially when you’re talking to people you don’t know, I don’t think it’s a good idea. My honest impression from context was that these two sentences

referred to パトリックさん’s family. 母 and 兄 would have been better in textbook formal Japanese.

I agree with the other suggestions you made though.

4 Likes

Japanese in a nutshell. :joy:

The only scenario I can think of is when speaking to another family member or to someone within your うち about someone else in your うち.

3 Likes