Olympians (medalists announced - congrats everyone!)

Slowly working myself through the review pile that came about as I moved. I guess I should try vacation mode some time, but nah. I’m pretty sure this will be my longest level so far. I’d have to check my stats but fairly sure. Still not back to lessons since I’m still about 300 reviews, but I’m doing at least 50 a day and not really getting many new ones most days, so should be back to lessons soonish. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

So it doesn’t look like I’m going to make level 60 after all by the time of the deadline. Admittedly it did seem a tad unrealistic back when I started Wanikani on May 28th, 2019. Looks like I might be able to hit exactly level 50 though, which would be a great alternative and something I can be proud of I think. I’ve come a long way, and I’m not the only one, judging from the leaderboard.

ラスト頑張れ!

8 Likes

:partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: @tigrennatenn , you made it! Congratulations on level 60!

Also congrats to @plantron & @konsei on your level ups! \(-o-)/

& welcome back @Kawameki :eyes:

11 Likes

me trying to manage uni, research, WK and other hobbies at the same time. It’s quite hectic but fun. Hopefully this time I can do at least another 20 levels in a row :eyes:. It sure is lonely in death zone though, quite the dead ambience !

8 Likes

Glad to have you back! 頑張って! :muscle:

5 Likes

Hi guys,

how you all doing?

5 Likes

Woah, 27 gold medalists in total! And everyone else is at such high levels. Ya’ll are amazing.

10 Likes

I’m not participating in this challenge but I have been following everyone’s progress and it’s coming down to the final stretch so wanted to cheer you all on!

皆さん、頑張れ‼︎

4 Likes

Well, I’ll be ending the Olympics on level 32. But this group made me pick up speed at different points throughout the year and a bit. So that is great. I leveled 22 levels. I’m over halfway done with WK. It has made my reading easier and I plan to continue since there are still some very useful levels. Probably all the way to 60.

Due to basically taking most of the summer off (unintentionally), I probably won’t be able to achieve the goal of hitting level 60 by the end of the year as I had hoped. I’m not exactly sure where I will set my goal next. Something to motivate me to try harder, but not to pile on the pressure. (Although right now I am thinking maybe my birthday next year, late May. Would give me quite a bit of time for the next 28 levels… Hmmm…)

10 Likes

Looks like I’m level 56 for the deadline. I’ll be two weeks shy of Olympic gold if I can stick to my current pace. At least I’m not level 59 right now. That would have been infuriating.

Regardless, I’ve noticed that my retention of a lot of the mid-level stuff is pretty shaky, possibly from having a whole month with my mind off Japanese to lose all those neural connections, so I plan on using the Self Study Quiz to enact the Great Burn Review™ once I’m done with the final sprint. Here’s hoping I haven’t lost too much, and I can head into Grammar Season in October.

Original goal was to be able to read Death Mage in Japanese beginning in the new year, but that might be too aggressive at this point, so I’ll have to pick a new reading target. Part of me still wants to bash my brain against the Japanese until it works, using the fan translation as a guide, though.

7 Likes

Just one day left everyone! (Though the gold medalists have pretty much been finalized by now so I’ll update the first post soon!)

And for everyone who’s just a little shy of 60, the silver medalist deadline isn’t for nearly 4 months so let’s keep smashing kanji!
fast levels here I come

:sob:

8 Likes

Hey y’all, I’d be surprised if anyone remembers but I was once part of this group, wayyyy back in the beginning when I was level…6 :laughing: man am I slow

Though I may have fallen out of the race, I’ve been lurking tracking y’all’s progress over this whole thing, and I just want to say that I am so proud of y’all. Even if you didn’t make it to level 60 (which I’m sure you’ll get to very quickly), it’s been really inspiring to see y’all progressing through the levels, cheering each other on, and just generally having a good time. And if you did make it to level 60, congratulations! Go get you some cake if you haven’t yet :cake:

Thank you to @konsei (who I still remember as @pensei lol) for starting this group. You’re a real one :two_hearts:

10 Likes

i finished aufust 20th, but i am too stupid to edit the post… pls help

3 Likes

The first post isn’t editable that’s why! Which level were you when you joined? I’ll add you

3 Likes

its in the log i think it’s 34
yep

3 Likes

Done! Thanks for letting me know and congrats on getting the cake! :cake: :tada:

6 Likes

sure thing, thanks for adding me.
glad i made it :smiley:

5 Likes

:two_hearts:

If this group was able to motivate people to keep chipping away at their kanji then I’m glad! Even though I wasn’t able to make the deadline, the kind words of the wonderful people in this group are the main reason I keep coming back after every hiatus and I hope others feel the same!

10 Likes

Have you seen the Luminaries thread?

The next total lunar eclipse will be on May 26th 2021 (days left ). Let’s set level or burn goals to reach by then!

3 Likes

I have seen/heard about it before. I’ll see if I will join, but for now I am still getting back into WK after my break when moving internationally and then cross country.

When I find a rhythm again, I’ll see what kind of time line that puts me on, and then maybe I will join a group or I might not. :slight_smile: Thanks for the invite though!

7 Likes