Olympians (medalists announced - congrats everyone!)

9 Likes

Wow, so many people leveling up! Congrats to everybody! :tada::tada::confetti_ball: Also, Welcome back kitsunensei! :candy: By my side I got to level 5 yesterday! Hope I can keep up the pace. As I see it is very difficult in the upper levels D: I installed the wanikani leaderboard, so I can add some of you in there.

so many kanji :fire: :hatching_chick::fire:

10 Likes

Congrats on levelling up!! You’re halfway to Painful :cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat:

6 Likes

I decided to take a 3-week vacation from WaniKani. I have a licensure examination in less than 3 weeks and I want to prioritize it first. See you guys again in three weeks. :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t2: (waving)

14 Likes

Good luck! Don’t forget to turn on vacation mode!!

7 Likes

Hi guys!

I just wanted to share a recent discovery I’ve made…

It’s a fun podcast, completely in native Japanese, aimed at intermediate learners made by a Japanese guy named Teppei. It’s easy to follow, Teppei tries to explain things as he goes, and covers a range of random topics. Each podcast is 15 minutes long, so won’t take a lot of your time, but the listening practice is invaluable!!

I’m really loving it - - Nihongo Con Teppei - - hope you enjoy it too!! The bonus is I can listen to it on my drive to work. Love love love!!

15 Likes

At what point of time will first burns occur? my list is getting a bit master-heavy, but timeline has no burns to be seen yet T_T

I sooo wanna burn something :fire::fire::fire:

4 Likes

A burn takes 6 months from when it was first seen, provided you get it right each time it appears, so depends very much on what speed you are moving.
I saw my first burns pop up around level 19. I had over 2000 items in my enlightened list at the time. They are streaming in now and have greatly increased my workload. That said, I don’t mind seeing the burn reviews come in as I usually know exactly what they are with minimal effort and that’s a good feeling.
Take your time, the burns will come, I promise!

4 Likes

I’ve been doing max speed… so guess I’ll reach level 20 before any burns then.
Oh well :smiley:

3 Likes

The intervals between stages are:

Apprentice 1 → Apprentice 2 = 4 hours
Apprentice 2 → Apprentice 3 = 8 hours
Apprentice 3 → Apprentice 4 = 23 hours
Apprentice 4 → Guru 1 = 47 hours
Guru 1 → Guru 2 = 1 week - 1 hour
Guru 2 → Master = 2 weeks - 1 hour
Master → Enlightened = 30 days - 1 hour
Enlightened → Burn = 120 days - 1 hour

So in total it will be 174 days and 6 hours if you get your reviews correct every time and do them whenever they become available.

So at full speed, you would only get burns at level(174.25 days until burn) / ((6+5/6) days per level) = 25.5

But, level 1 and 2 have a total duration of 1 level, so basically it’s at level 26.5. So half way at level 26.

So basically if you’re not getting any burns by then there might be a problem somewhere.

7 Likes

You know, cute has never really resonated with me. Not personally, not interacting with other people. Not with things. It holds my interest for about two seconds.

2 Likes

Thanks! Excited to keeping along.

3 Likes

Thanks! Everytime I think I’ll finally start to catch up to @redglare, we level up at the same time.

6 Likes

Seems great! Will take a look, thank you for sharing

Also, use the celebration plugin for maximum fun/motivation!

I’m doing 7-day levels and, according to my heat map, I should get my first burn review precisely at those levels. Very precise calculations O:

B-but Keeeeei

But I get it, I think(?)

7 Likes

I don’t think that sentence is quite finished :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

How dare you criticize my

11 Likes

Thanks! 43 screwed me up though! I didn’t expect it to be a fast one so now I’m swamped in lessons (and have an exam next week! :tired_face:). Hoping to hold onto a steady pace until the 50s!

6 Likes

Ooh! Hohoho! (* >ω<)

頑張ってくださいね ✧ (`・ω・´) b

6 Likes

I quickly got overwhelmed with lessons once the fast levels started. Even took a break around level 51.
I changed my approach by forcing my levels to still be 7 days long. I did this by first doing all previous level vocab and new radicals as the “first half” of my level, and then after 3.5 days, doing all the kanji of that level as the “second half”. (The kanji may be a smaller amount of items but require about the same amount of effort for me.) By doing this I kept the same workload even during the fast levels, and that allowed to keep a consistent schedule without regaining that burnout feeling.

10 Likes

You’re welcome. I hope you love it!! Great listening practice.

Sounds awesome… But I use my phone for WK… so… No user scripts for me. :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes