OJAD Pitch Accent Dictionary

Hello,

I just found this incredibly useful resource online. http://www.gavo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ojad/

It looks pretty neat and is extremely detailed. It even has the masculine and feminine versions of pitch accent. And every word also has audio pronunciation for both versions.
Have a gander at the example below!

9 Likes

I saw this resource mentioned somewhere last month, but forgot all about it. But it ses very useful. I can never make myself do different pitch patterns consistently, so repeating these words a bunch might help me develop a feel for it.

Took me a minute to figure it out, so thought Iā€™d mention it: you can click on the female and male buttons below the words to activate sound.

2 Likes

Good one, added it to the main post.

1 Like

Yep, this is a nice one. I usually only use the ā€œSuzuki-kunā€ feature of this web page, though. http://www.gavo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ojad/eng/phrasing/index

It generates pitch curves for whole accent phrases, which is pretty cool. Itā€™s rare that itā€™s wrong.

5 Likes

My teacher recommends we use that when preparing for presentations!

1 Like

That sounds painful. I use it every day, but only for smaller pieces and phrases Iā€™m unsure of. Hopefully weā€™ll be able to internalize pronunciation sooner or later!

2 Likes

There are a lot of audio files that do not play. This one, for example. I wish this resource was fully functional.

1 Like

Hmm, I see. I think itā€™s still in the process of being completed, since it is a project by a university in Tokyo. Iā€™m sure the missing audio will be added in the future.

I hope youā€™re right! My guess is that itā€™s been mostly completed, but they havenā€™t updated or maintained the files in working order. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Do those words work in the suzuki-kun feature?

Iā€™ve been using this for my iKnow sentences (I do those a bit in between my WK reps of hell!) Itā€™s pretty good for sentences and defo helps me get my ear in a bit better on where to stress. My Japanese pronunciation sucks so this is helping me. I also screen shot it and plonk it into Anki decks as a reminder. Going forward, I hope all Japanese learning materials can build one in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.