Numbers in answers

Surely it can’t be that difficult to code in to accept this? :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

The site is set up by default to just take all spelled out numbers. It’s not a matter of programming. They could add every combo of numbers and number-words as answers if they really wanted to.

And you can add it as a synonym if you really want to use numerals.

4 Likes

it accepts only numerals and only words, but never any combination of them. So, “1000” and “one thousand” are acceptable, but “1 thousand” isn’t. Don’t worry, I had to learn this the hard way as well. :3

1 Like

The answers have a bit of tolerance to them. So for example, if you answered with “one thousnd”, it would get accepted. The risk with numbers normally is that answering with 2000 instead of 1000 would be marked as correct. I believe for 1000 they added it to some kind of whitelist that’s only accepted with an exact answer (or something like that). If you email them, maybe they’ll add “1 thousand” to the same list.

3 Likes

i’d set “1k” as synonym. if it works, i didn’t try it out.

2 Likes

That’s really helpful, I didn’t realise synonyms were a thing! :grin:

2 Likes

(The issue with this argument is that “two thousand” would also be marked as correct, unless it’s been blacklisted…)

1 Like

It’s a bit harder to fat finger “one” to “two” than “1” to “2” though. :wink:

Anything is possible for the sufficiently determined.

2 Likes

I’d also add “ten hundred”

1 Like

Do people say that? I don’t think I’ve ever heard that for 1000.

Yeah, it’s weird that we don’t. I’ll happily say “eleven hundred” for 1100, but “ten hundred” for 1000 just sounds odd.

But then, we do pronounce 1066 as “ten sixty-six”.

5 Likes

I’ve added synonyms like “ten myriad” and “hundred myriad” because it doesn’t make sense to translate a word which means myriad to “ten thousand”. We have an English word for that number, why not use it in this situation where it’s the obvious fit?

5 Likes

:exploding_head:

1 Like

It’s an uncommon word. I didn’t know it meant 10k until I read this, I just thought it meant “a lot”.

2 Likes

I learned it because it was mentioned in a sermon when I was younger that the word meant 10,000, but it was used [in Ancient Greek (ca. 30-100 AD)] to metaphorically mean a very large amount. So the metaphorical sense certainly has some historical precedence.

2 Likes

I always spell it “one 000”.

7 Likes

I will make “wuhn zeeroh zeeroh zeeroh” a User Synonym for 一千, don’t test me.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.