Forty-two?

There’s a LOT that I like about this site, and it has been a huge help at this stage of my learning. So I’m not a complainer.

But REALLY? It’s very annoying when it won’t accept “42” instead of “forty-two” or “to enter” instead of “enter.” There are really a surprising number of exact equivalents that it won’t accept, something I would think would have been cleared up by now.

It’s answered in the FAQ:

Why won’t you accept numerals as correct answers? For example: “1000” for 千, or “10000” for 万.

The answer is two-fold:
-Numerals are not vocabulary words.
-Since there is some leeway on your English meaning answers, the difference between 1000 and 10000 would not be detected. So you would get the answer correct even if you put 1000 in for 万 (which should be 10000).

For now, numerals will not be allowed, but we may add the possibility in the future.

oh and:

Why do I have to write “to” at the beginning of each verb?

WaniKani needs to know that you know that verbs are verbs. So, you will always put a “to” before a verb. Don’t forget!

15 Likes

add it as a synonym :slight_smile:

This. Allowing numerals would play havoc with the typo forgiveness system. When you enter “hunderd” instead of “hundred” it’s pretty clear you knew the answer and your finger just slipped. On the other hand, 10, 1000, or 200 are all very different from 100 but would be accepted as correct if we allowed numerals. There’s an eventual solution to this but, for now, you have to write them out.

5 Likes

What a coincidence. I thought this post was going to be about why does review show as 42+, but i don’t know the answer to that and got curious…

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.
42 has some special meaning in that book. People think they’re cool making references to 42. :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

Ahh, thank you. Been a while since i saw the movie. The reason to life, Marvin stole the screen for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Never seen nor read it myself, so I have no clue what any of that meant. :thinking:

Marvin a chronically depressed android and his humour is dry… Very dry, but his comments are very amusing. Try watching Best of Marvin (The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy) on youtube - though you don’t get the same experience as they just cut out responses.

The 42+ is a pain on the reviews and lessons! My reviews can get past 42 within a few hours of clearing them and it would be so much easier if it showed the actual number, at least up to 999+! I know there’s a script that can do it on the computer but I don’t use scripts and I’m often catching up on a mobile device.

When you click on the reviews and lessons you will see the real number. I think it’s a bit silly to hide it, but there are threads here in the forum where people freak out when they see large numbers and want even less information, so there is a reason to show 42+ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

42 is the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. Unfortunately no one knows how to interpret that answer.

1 Like

I thought it was simply six times seven?? :wink:

1 Like

Giving up on hope is the answer. You will need to remember lots of things anyways.

I’m not sure why numbers are even part of it, I learned numbers from a different source and while I like wanikani, but teaching numbers dose not work well. Maybe 1-10 but weird asking for example 42. For the most part I can tell numbers have mostly set patterns. I have yet to see the number kanji’s used, almost everything I’ve seen are with Arabic numerals in Japan and outside. I’m sure someone can tell me why that is but I’m guessing there is still a place for kanji numbers somewhere.

9 Likes

Have a good point there. What I really mean is why most modern media, anime, news and etc Japan is using Arabic numbers compared to the kanji numbers?

The same reason why most people speaking English would type using 1, 2, 3 etc instead of one, two, three. It’s both easier to type and read. I can assure you that you will definitely see numbers written in kanji though, it may be more rare depending on what you’re reading, but you will encounter them here and there no matter what.

4 Likes

I see kanji numbers frequently, but they limited applications. Maybe even Japanese realized that they are too clunky and hard to read.

They are used on restaurant menus for prices, especially where a traditional atmosphere is desired like unagi shops or Japanese confectionary.

Addresses are officially written in kanji, and also in formal context like invitations. For more casual letters single digit numbers as in ◯丁目 are still in kanji. Dates in traditional format. Proper nouns as well. For large numbers 万億兆 are often mixed in.

Why not learn them, they are still kanji :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Really? I mean, no one is going to argue that kanji numbers are more common, but kanji numbers are definitely normal to see. Even beyond things like 二人, 三人 or whatnot, there are plenty of things like 一石二鳥, 百点満点, where it’s normal to see the kanji numbers.

I agree that you’re often not going to see longer numbers written out fully in kanji, but I’ve seen that as well.

Here’s an image from an article explaining how to write the address on a New Year’s card, though you could write it like this on anything, and it uses kanji for the numerals within the address (section 2, and other places on the card as well). It’s fine to write arabic numbers in addresses as well, but this is not unusual.

Though you’ll notice that in this case, they use 一〇 instead of 十 for an address.

3 Likes