Now Reading: Volume 6! フルーツバスケット・Fruits Basket 🍏 🍇 🍑 🍒 🍐 🍊 (Beginner Book Club)

I’m curious, where was your copy from and where are you? Maybe I’ll cancel my order and get it from elsewhere.

I just bought it from the Amazon.jp link provided in the OP. They outsourced my shipment to DHL, which delivered it surprisingly fast. Amazon.jp has been nice to me with orders, as I also got some graded learners I ordered a couple weeks ago and they arrived within a week as well :thinking:

It’s really sweet of you to volunteer :blush: a couple of others have also stepped up who have done it before, so I’ll ask them in the first instance :+1:

@Ditto20 - are you actually reading this? Seems pretty unfair to ask you to run it if you’re not reading :joy: in which case would @NicoleIsEnough or @Naphthalene be able to? Perhaps @NicoleIsEnough, as @Naphthalene is running Night Market / might help out with Laid-Back Camp?

1 Like

Sure, I can run it, no worries :slight_smile:

Also, if somebody else would like to help, maybe we can share responsibilities? I would like to set up the threads (if only to play with my generator a bit more :joy_cat:) but if somebody else would like to take care of the vocab sheet and run the final polls, that would be a good opportunity to e.g. on-board somebody new? What do you think @Ditto20 and @Linkruler (and @Radish8 of course)?

4 Likes

Sounds reasonable to me!

And thank you :blush: I do really appreciate it.

I’ll just add the vocab sheet link and make it a wiki…

5 Likes

Same for me! My copy arrived just now. Waaay before 魔女の宅急便 which I ordered one month earlier

2 Likes

I made a Japanese Amazon account and I can only choose from the 都道府県 and can’t input a foreign address! Help :frowning:

5 seconds after posting this, I saw the option for adding foreign addresses…

When I put my Australian address it wouldn’t let me access the free copy, be wary if that’s what you’re after!

T-t-the free copy?

1 Like

Amazon JP has some portion of the first volume available for free digitally but you need a Japanese address. But it’s okay!
@Radish8 provided this link which has it available for free as well :slight_smile:
It’s what I’m using until my copy eventually arrives.
This one!

2 Likes

You can create free tenso account and it will give you “valid” japanese address.
Then you can use free VPN service (for example tunnelbear) to purchase digital content on Amazon.jp.
And lot of digital stuff is free, promotions come and go.

You can have two addresses: real one for physical purchases, and fake tenso one for digital.
This guide is a bit outdated, so buttons may be in different places etc, but it still works with a bit of effort (one hour):
https://community.wanikani.com/t/buying-digital-japanese-books/10603

5 Likes

I think we have not yet finally decided how to run this club, did we?

I would like to put up the weekly threads, but I’m less keen on the other tasks (vocab sheet and final polls) so I was wondering whether @Ditto20 or @Linkruler (or somebody else even!) would like to take on those? If not, that’s fine and I’ll do it, it would just be nice to know for sure :wink:

I bought the book last week and was proud of actually having things together ahead of time… But then I did a dumb the other day and accidentally ran my copy of Fruits Basket through the washing machine. :sob:
It was the last copy of the collector’s edition that I found at the store I went to so that sucks too. :sob: :sob: :sob:
It’s only ¥330 (almost literally) down the drain, though.

6 Likes

Oh nooo :frowning:

I have to wonder how a book goes through the washing though :rofl:

… I am totally flabbergasted. How do you accidentally launder a book?!

My sincerest sympathies, although it’s kind of too funny to feel appropriately sad for you :laughing:

11 Likes

The more I’m thinking about it, I think it’ll be best for me to stay on the sidelines for this book. I want to make sure I can get my pages read each week primarily, and depending how long it’ll go the club will probably overlap with my next college semester. I’d rather underload for now and prevent a burnout than an overcommitment

1 Like

OK, thanks for letting me know!

Well… When you have a teensy tiny Japanese studio apartment and you use your washing machine as just another surface… Sometimes things just end up not only on the washing machine but also in there.

This particular oopsie also included an egg holder that was supposed to be in the fridge and an eyeliner that I do, in fact, keep in a shelf above the washing machine. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Oh! Because it’s a top-loader washing machine :slight_smile: Now I get it - totally relatable!

2 Likes

I was totally imagining you just left the book in your pocket. :joy:

Does your washing machine not have a lid? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes