New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Perhaps it should, but I don’t think it is :eyes: I don’t really explain what scripts are and how to install them in my threads sweat_smile

2 Likes

I admit I didn’t check. :eyes: I saw Open Framework being linked, so that’s half the battle!

And I see that “How to install a userscript” is linked in the OP of this thread.

1 Like

If you use the heatmap you must try to click on days in the calendar. More stats will show up.

2 Likes

wow thanks!

1 Like

Are the readings getting easier?

I noticed many of the level 11 Kanji are read the same way as one of the components. Is that a lucky exception or can I expect more of these nice guys going forward?

There is indeed a pattern of certain radicals carrying readings that can be quite predictable at times. ^^ When you are familiar enough with some of the usual suspects, you can sometimes take a gander at the on’yomi of an unknown kanji, based solely on the position that one of the radicals has in the kanji composition.

I was always of the opinion that this user script should be part of vanilla WK, since it makes the patterns much clearer, and I think it’s a great addition to studying kanji:

2 Likes

Not a native English speaker, so I have to ask, aren’t these the same?

The station only refers to the building. It’s true that some people might use “police department” to refer to the building as well, but technically it refers to… the department, the police force as a whole, which is an abstract thing that might be spread over a variety of buildings and areas.

If you want to add it as a synonym, I don’t think it would be that big of a deal, as long as you know the Japanese word is just referring to a building.

5 Likes

Thank you very much for the quick reply, I won’t add it as synonym, but I’ll add a note, that this is about the building :slight_smile:

1 Like

Help :triangular_flag_on_post:
So I have unlocked level 3 today & have 46 new lessons but for some unknown reason I am not able to take the quiz (it’s blocked). If anyone knows why is this happening, do let me know? It’s kinda frustrating since there are so many new words waiting for me :sob:

The little circles underneath 四, 四月, 本, and 日本 aren’t filled in yet. Did you look at those items? Typically if you look at all the items they’ll fill in and then you can take the quiz. It won’t let you just jump to the quiz. If you did look at them and it didn’t register, that might be a bug to alert them to.

3 Likes

I tried again, making sure all the grey circles are filled and it worked this time - maybe I accidentally skipped a few last time? Anyway, thank you!

1 Like

Hi there! I’ve been studying every day for a bit over a week and I’m having a lot of fun.

There’s one thing I’m wondering about. I’ve been studying みんなの日本語 with a small class here in my country since February. We’re up to Lesson 16 (we typically do one lesson a week, and we took two breaks). The point of my teacher is to finish one level (N5, N4) per year. Slow and steady is how he prefers to teach, which I like as well.

I understand that Level 10 in WK includes most of the N5 kanji, which is awesome. I do however wonder how fast I should take new lessons. I’ve read a few topics in this forum about the subject, but I haven’t made up my mind yet.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to learn all the radicals and kanji for a new level right away, and then regulate my vocab intake to, say, 10 a day? I do use another flashcard app to learn my book vocabs, but I also love learning new ones with WK.

1 Like

I’m a big advocat of steady progress. So I wouldn’t recommend learning all the radicals and Kanji at once. If you look at the total amount of items in a level you can imagine how long it’ll take you. Let’s assume three different, common daily lesson plans: 10, 15 and 20.
A level with 150 items would therefore either take you 15, 10 or 7,5 days. 20 daily lessons is usually very close to maximum speed, so that shouldn’t be necessary for you. 10 is really regulating it, taking it rather slow. 15 is my personal limit and I think for most people the golden mean: you do have to work, but you’re not burning out and still making very good progress.
If you want to know exactly how to spread out your lessons, I wrote a guide on that.

1 Like

Thank you zEUs, your thread was very helpful!

I’m taking more than 15 now just because a lot of the vocabs are easy or I’m familiar with (days, months, water etc). I’m gonna dial down once new things are introduced to me.

I have a question and I feel like I know the answer: I just got to the vocab 火 (ひ) which is a kunyomi and pronounced differently from the kanji (か) which is onyomi.

So, now I understand why 火曜日 is spelled ‘ka’ (a kanji compound so they’re spelled with the onyomi).

My question is: should I always keep in mind what’s the onyomi and kunyomi for every kanji I learn as the app teaches them to me? So in my mind, it wouldn’t just be “fire: ka, hi” – but rather I suppose I need to remember which is which? :thinking:

When I started WK, I didn’t understand on’yomi and kun’yomi at all. I never spent any particular time on it, and it all fell into place anyway for me.

WK usually (not always, but usually) teaches on’yomi when you’re taught the kanji. And over time, you can spot the difference quite easily between Chinese origin on’yomi, and Japanese origin kun’yomi. They have a different feel to them.

If you want to spend time going over what is what, I don’t see how it can harm. But I feel like people get a natural feel for it as they keep going through WK, so I’d personally advise not to worry too much about it. ^^

Welcome to WK!

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll go with the flow and see how I feel. :smile:

I wonder what happens when I hit Level 60. Will I still receive reviews? (That’d be awesome.)

I just paid for the lifetime subscription. I know I can wait until the holidays to get a discount, but I’ve never wanted to support something more than this awesome app. Very happy with my experience and excited for my long journey.

2 Likes

Yeah, you still get reviews. WK’s not done until you burn everything XD

1 Like

In my opinion you don’t need to remember which one is which. All you need to have is a certain understanding of their differences. For that I highly recommend this article:

And, just as Omun said, at some point you’ll feel the difference between the two.

4 Likes

Read the article and loved how in-depth it is!

Maybe it’s to soon to ask this question, but I wonder when I can start reading kids books/stories. I understand basic grammar now (ます & て forms, a bunch of verbs from my minna no nihongo lessons, wa/ga/ni/de early usages) and I wonder if I should wait until I finish my N5 course in October. That would also put me several levels ahead in WK which would hopefully make reading kids books easier.

My point of confusion is not knowing what kind of books I should buy. I realize that “finished minna no nihongo 1 + at LvXX in WK” isn’t an easy criteria to filter books by. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes