My WaniKani Progress Diary

Hiya. I’m Clicky Steve, from Glasgow, Scotland.

When I first started looking through the forums and trying out WaniKani, I saw a few ongoing progress diaries that I found quite helpful, and wanted to share my own - partly for posterity, but also partly as a kind of self-accountability. I’m only on level four so far, but will update the original post below each time I level up… Hopefully to 60!

For a bit of background… Previously the only language I really had experience of outside of English (Scots) was Greek, as I have family out there. I got to a semi-intermediate level of Greek before hitting a fairly bad wall, as there were very few decent resources available at that time for somebody trying to progress in what is a relatively obscure language. With Japanese, there are so many more resources available, and I am really enjoying exploring them.

Anyway, here’s my progress entries so far, which I’ll update as I go.

April 2019: False start.

After visiting Japan for the second time, and spending a month there (almost two months over two trips), I realised how much I loved the place, and wanted to understand some of the language. I had started learning bits and pieces on DuoLingo, but I knew very little Hiragana or looked at any other resources. I signed up for WaniKani, but got confused by the term radicals and didn’t really do much again until…

2nd January 2020: Starting again (About 6 days to complete).

By now I have confirmed my third trip to Japan for October 2020, and decided to finally take learning Japanese seriously. I have gotten a good knowledge of hiragana and katana through tofugu, and decided to take the next logical step of learning Kanji with WaniKani. Alongside this, I am continuing to work on duolingo, and learning grammar using YouTube (Japanese Ammo!) and bunpro.jp.

8th January 2020: Reached level two in WK (About 6 days to complete). Completed stage 1 of duolingo.

Decided to take advantage of the winter sale and purchase lifetime, to force myself to keep this up. Some days I have been checking in just once, and other days checking in constantly, spending hours at a time - mostly on my phone so I can type the characters directly without Romanji. Finding that I can recall radicals very easily, but some other things just don’t stick at all. Based on the completion time of about 1 level a week, I am aiming to be at level 30 or higher before my trip at the end of October. Only time will tell whether this is realistic or not!

14th January 2020: Reached level three in WK (About 6 days to complete).

I initially found myself doing more WK and less of duolingo and other grammar resources, as doing all of the reviews and lessons can take up quite a bit of time. I’ve found it harder on days where I’ve been busy, and the reviews pile up past 30 at a time - but realised that if I switch to my computer for those times, I can go much faster. I am still switching between my phone and laptop though, to test the different writing skills.

There were a few days where I just couldn’t remember anything, and kept getting the reviews wrong, hitting like 30-40%, which was quite demotivating. But then you get days where all of a sudden you just remember everything, and are suddenly getting 90% and above. It’s especially cool when something just clicks and answers to things just pop into your head from somewhere in your subconscious.

Near the end of level 2 I started to explore other sources. I’ve been trying out http://delvinlanguage.com/ for listening and vocabulary. I picked up a Genki I textbook and workbook, as well as Japanese: the Manga Way. My plan is to try lots of different things for a while, and see which stick naturally to aid learning. Have slowed down on bunpro.jp as I don’t love the ‘teaching’ portion, but will come back to it when I have a better understanding. Currently sinking in a significant amount of free time into Japanese, but I would just be watching TV or something else anyway.

2nd February 2020: Reached level four in WK. (About 18 days to complete).

To get to level four, I experimented with re-ordering the lessons so I am doing all the radicals first, then the kanji, then the vocab. This is because I suspect I can remember things better in this order, from simpler to more complicated. It has also helped with reviews when I end up with a lot of them to do at once. My accuracy has also been improving.

I’ve also realised that sometimes the mnemonics just don’t stick in my brain, and I struggle coming up with alternatives, so in these cases I’ve been referring to ‘PictoGraphix’ by Michael Rowley - a Kanji book which has lots of accompanying pictures. These stick in my head more, and have helped when I get stuck.

In terms of other resources… I have still been plugging away at duolingo, but also really been enjoying “Japanese: the Manga Way” book. It is laid out in a really clear and interesting way - and has helped my understanding a whole lot. I’ve also been making use of KaniWani to supplement WK and help with recall - about once a day. I find that I can often remember the kanji and how to say them, but can’t always type them properly yet - which is annoying. That’s another (!) thing to work on.

I took a bit longer to get to level four than I would have liked, as I had about a week ‘off’ where I was travelling for work and couldn’t dedicate the time to doing my daily reviews. This threw me, and stalled my progress (which was pretty de-motivating), but after a day or so I managed to get back on the horse, so to speak.

13th February 2020: Reached level five in WK. (About 11 days to complete).

WK: I’ve installed the leech userscript to try knock out some of the stubborn vocab/kanji I just can’t get into my head. It’s been helpful for identifying the ones I need to work on - which isn’t always obvious to me when just working through Reviews. I’ve found that when there are very different words for vocab and kanji that look the same, that tends to throw me. I’ve also realised that I’ve been lagging behind with the vocab lessons since using the reorder script, so I’ve been doing at least a few vocab lessons every day (rather than focussing on reviews and keeping my review pile under 100).

I’ve also read a book on learning recently which says that ‘block learning’ where you do many things of the same type helps you feel better about your progress in the short term, but that in the long term it is actually far less valuable than ‘interleaving’ learning, where you do different kinds of reviews. In other words, re-ordering my reviews so that I’m blocking the vocabulary etc together might seem like it’s helpful, but in the longer term it will mean I remember things less effectively - so I’m going to stop doing that.

Japanese generally: I’ve realised that I have been mostly relying on WaniKani for my daily Japanese studies, with a sprinkling of duolingo - and that it isn’t enough for what I want. Because of that I got a small cheap phrase book which has been helpful. I changed my approach to DuoLingo too. Beforehand I was trying to understand everything and be able to read it all etc on each lesson, but I’ve realised that isn’t quite how the app is set up. It’s okay to guess and work things out from context - because each level builds on things in a way that should theoretically mean you learn. So I am trying to be more relaxed about it and just do a bunch of lessons regularly.

One thing I’ve noticed that is cool is that I looked over some old photos from my first trip to Japan the other day, and realised that I am able to understand some words from signs in the background, like 中古 and 入口.

10 Likes

Weird, the forum says I’m level three, but I’m definitely on level four.

Logging out and back in should fix the problem. はじめまして!

1 Like

はじめまして! That worked. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

My lessons always come in that order (radicals, kanji and vocabulary). Did you change something to alter the order?

Mine generally come in that order as well, but they get mixed together. So kanji aren’t always grouped on their own. I think that’s the default order.

Best of luck on your journey! May you reach that cake someday.

On the topic of learning Greek, are there any resources you would recommend? I’m at the “I can talk to my grandparents about how my day is going and I know how to name and explain food” stage :sweat_smile: late beginner? Ish?

@clickysteve it really helped me to get the Tsurukame app on my phone (basically its compatible with WaniKani and you can use it offline).

GOOD LUCK in your future progress and let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

Thank you! You too. :smiley: I will continue to update.

I currently use Flaming Durtles on the phone, as I’m Android, which isn’t supported by Tsurukame. It’s definitely helpful though, as I get practice using the Japanese keyboard, which I don’t default to doing on desktop.

Thank you!

It’s cool to meet someone else in a similar boat with Greek! Unfortunately, that question’s partly why I ran out of steam. There are very few decent resources around - or at least, there was for years when I was concentrating on it. I tried Rosetta Stone, but it just felt so slow and unnatural. In the end, I found one old Greek grammar book that helped, but I can’t find it listed on Amazon any more. There are more/better resources available now, like the course on duolingo… but I’ve kind of fallen off the wagon and haven’t kept up with them… Let me know if you find anything good!

I do think that Greek helped a bit with Japanese so far, as I wasn’t afraid of a new ‘alphabet’.

1 Like

oh, i think its because they come in order of level. If you just level up to level 4 by completing some lvl 3 kanji, in your lessons the first thing you would see are the vocabulary using the kanji you just learned and then you would see the lvl 4 radicals and kanji

Reached Level 5 and updated the diary!

2 Likes