Most recent non-WK kanji you've learned?

This is a pretty random one that I mentioned in a post last month when talking about if I learn kanji in isolation. Funny to see someone else bring it up

While I’m here, 梃 from 梃子でも動かない

4 Likes

咳 a cough (noun / suru verb )

池田さん 風邪で咳が出るのに、タバコばかり吸っています。

Ikeda-san wa kaze de seki ga deru no ni , tabako bakari sutte imasu. Even though Ikeda is coughing from a cold, all he does is smoke cigarettes [he is (still) smoking all the time].
Chino, Naoko. All About Particles (Kindle Locations 1989-1994). Kodansha USA. Kindle Edition.

1 Like

I searched this topic but did not find previous entry for 些 used in 些細 Na-adjective, Noun 1. trivial; slight.​ Unrelated: any ideas why モノ (もの) is being written with katakana?

翅 in the word 鱗翅目(りんしもく). 翅 means wings (翼 can also be written 翅).

鱗翅目 means Lepidoptera, the order of insects that includes butterflies, moths etc (another word I didn’t know before).
Nowadays you would say チョウ目 in Japanese, 鱗翅目 is an obsolete term.

5 Likes

躾 (しつけ, training, discipline, teaching manners)

しつけ is a very common word, but I was curious what the kanji was, and it’s pleasantly easy to remember. 身を美しくする.

5 Likes

I’ve seen 躾 written in kanji in books a few times. It probably had furigana, but I can’t remember.

It looks like it has no on’yomi, which is interesting. Is it rare to have kanji with no on’yomi?

2 Likes

It’s a kokuji. Like 峠. That’s one of the common characteristics of Japanese-invented characters that aren’t keiseimoji (so, unlike 働 which is a kokuji, but is based on 動, so the onyomi came along for the ride).

5 Likes

佻 (read ちょう, as one would expect)
In the word 軽佻浮薄 — frivolity, shallowness, superficiality.

A 訓読み for 佻 is かる.い

So the word 軽佻 basically means かるい+かるい. Meaning-wise, it’s close to 軽率.

5 Likes

伝承: Folklore, tradition etc.

Those are both WK kanji. 伝 is in level 11, and 承 is in level 34. But I guess you were thinking that it’s a non-WK word.

窟 - cavern

4 Likes

I saw the kanji 捺 (ナツ・お.す) for the first time today. It means to stamp, to press.
押捺 おうなつ
捺印 なついん

6 Likes

Just learned a bunch of non-WK, non-jouyou, non-kanken, non-nothing kanji with Dogen !

(It’s full of kanji pun + modern/meme culture, half the fun is trying to guess while they are drawn ! :smiley: )

7 Likes

Heh. “Brah” was clever.

These sorts of things often involve some fairly intellectual visual and typographic puns, and it always gives me a nice “aha” feeling when I work them out.

For more on this pattern:

3 Likes

I learned 臼 because a character from a folk tale I read is an usu ( うす, a type of japanese mortar used to pound rice into mochi)!
Interestingly, the kanji is also used in the word for molar (大臼歯 だいきゅうし)

1 Like

Only fans was the funniest for me :joy:

1 Like

繋 as in 繋がる etc has to be the most common non-WK Kanji out there right? I see the word 繋がる so often

6 Likes

First time I’ve seen it. :man_shrugging:

I see it pretty often in the loading screen of the games that I play, as well as on Japanese tech news, but I guess the word usually is written in kana

I usually just see ローディング :wink:

Are they online games?

Interesting. I watch the regular news but I’m not at 100% comprehension there so I may have missed it.