Most recent non-WK kanji you've learned?

Hahaha. Maybe? All I know is that in Chinese, it means ‘to regain consciousness’, among other things. Kind of like ‘to return to one’s senses’.

2 Likes

If I understand correctly the plant meaning appear in only one word 紫蘇, and according to the japanese wikipedia it come from a late Han dynasty Chinese story in which a young man almost died due to eating too much crab and getting food poisoning, but a famous doctor saved him with a medicine based on a purple plant. The young man was instantly cured and so the purple plant was named 紫蘇 (purple revive)

6 Likes

I rarely attempt to read Japanese, but I did recently come across 糞 (BS) while attempting to read some Youtube comments.

3 Likes

Amazingly I just saw used as the particle まで.

7 Likes

Yeah, I see this in waiting rooms, or on the slips they give you to take a number and wait sometimes.

5 Likes

Just encountered 閨 for the first time. ねや, a (married couple’s) bedroom.

1 Like

忖 was one I recently came across that I don’t think was on WK.

2 Likes

In 忖度?

2 Likes

Yep lmao. From what it looked like, there weren’t really any other words in modern japanese that used it either

1 Like

邁 from the word 邁進 (まいしん, pushing forward bravely). A student at my school did calligraphy of it.

1 Like

Not an exciting kanji, but 抉 in 抉じ開ける (こじあける, to wrench open, to pry open)

3 Likes

I’m lazy and don’t note down all the new kanji I come across but some that stand out (or cropped up a few times)

餅 もち - mochi

頬っぺた ほっぺた - cheek

揃える そろえる - to complete

2 Likes

I think this is more accurately ‘to gather together/collect’. ‘To complete’ is not wrong, but I think it’s just an extension: when you finally ‘gather’ all the items in a complete set, then you’ve ‘completed’ the set.

1 Like

驟, in the word 驟雨(しゅうう). It means sudden downpour.

3 Likes

叶う : かなう I saw this verb in Genki 2 (I don’t think they used the Kanji) with meaning: to come true (of a wish, prayer, etc.); to be realized; to be fulfilled​ (Jisho); 思ったおりになる(例解学習)。Also there are other Kanji that I used for かなう for other meanings but my keyboard picks this one for some reason.

1 Like

I searched this topic for 餌 but could not find any entry. This is odd since I just saw this Kanji here on this WK context sentence:
をあげないでください。
Jisho:
餌 ( えさ )

1. (animal) feed; fodder; pet food
  2. bait; lure; enticement​
2 Likes

A friend of mine mentioned that きのこ is mushroom, and, having just learned that 竹の子 (たけのこ) is bamboo shoots, I wondered if I might have actually learned the kanji for that, so I looked it up on jisho, and as it turns out, a 木の子 (きのこ) is a “mountain-dwelling demon resembling a child​,” but a 茸 (きのこ) is a mushroom.

I was a little surprised that 茸 isn’t in WK, but I’ve already learned the radicals to remember this one: flower ear, which actually isn’t bad for creating a mnemonic for mushroom!

5 Likes

When you visit Japan, you might possibly want to refrain from mentioning both of those in the same sentence, unless you want to find yourself in the middle of a pitched battle. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

I’ve tried them both once. That was enough for me.

4 Likes

I’m not sure either of those sentences is the sort of thing you’re supposed to admit to in public. :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes