Non native speakers

WK is an awesome tool. It helps me a lot to improve my Japanese reading ability. Although it’s sometimes hard to pass all reviews because of a time consuming job I enjoy it a lot.

But there is one real difficulty for me as a non native speaker: sometimes it’s much more difficult to remember the English meaning of a Kanji than learning the Japanese one! :smile:

Over the last months I think I learned more new English words than ever expected. Even those special ones like “mullet”, “creeper” or “hick”. On one hand it’s a really good thing - it’s never bad to learn something in life. But on the other it makes it harder for non native speakers at times. Anybody out there experiencing the same?

24 Likes

I guess that’s to be expected. Do you have a solution for this problem?

Incorporate it into your everyday vocabulary!

Let’s start with, “Boy, that creeper 先輩 with a mullet sure is a hick.”

13 Likes

There’s only been a couple of English words I straight-up didn’t know (looking at you “cleats”), but from time to time I fail a review because I enter a less natural sounding expression for the same thing (and the Crabigator can be really particular about wording).

8 Likes

No. I just learn both. My American friends already noticed my strange “new” English vocabulary…lol

7 Likes

Well i just remember the meaning in my native language. If i can’t remind the english one i use ignore button or add a relevant synonym.

6 Likes

Right. Same here. Sometimes I’m close to the correct meaning. So frustrating. And yes: CLEAT! Lol

1 Like

I’m spanish, i normally write a spanish word when I know i’ll never remember it in english…

1 Like

That’s a good idea. I often use examples of my own language to remember the readings because the English version is not natural or clear enough to keep in my mind.

1 Like

Lol. I do! Thanks for the impressive example!

I have this problem too! I’m a native Finnish speaker and Japanese pronounciation is similar to ours so sometimes I just make my own examples to remember the reading. The hardest English word for me so far was triceratops :joy:

God, yes, and not even because I can’t understand the English, because I do.

It’s because I straight out translate the vocab/kanji/radical to my native language, and then in reviews I retranslate it to English … using the wrong word. :cry:

I’ve been thinking of adding my own synonyms, but that would require checking if WK supports non-European alphabets :woman_shrugging:

Right! Lol. I already forgot! I’m a German native speaker and sometimes the pronunciation is indeed closer to Japanese. So I switch all the time creating a kind of “Denglish” stories to remember meanings and readings

4 Likes

I’m a native English speaker with more than one degree in English, and I don’t know what “cleats” means.

9 Likes

It’s a shoe-related word! It’s something regarding the shape of your sole that helps the shoe grip the surface you run on better.

It’s the grippy soccer shoe, no?

If you were kidding, I’m sorry. I’m just skimming through the thread.

6 Likes

I am German but by now also a C2 English speaker. I usually do not know words like “mullet” as well, but I usually still have a feeling what it means. And to fair those new words are welcome. I have Grammarly installed and thus can easily just look at the definition of the word. Normally it is also enough to look it up once, and I will remember from then on.

Because I have no problem with any of the other words it never happened to me that I type a word in German because I do not remember it in English. However, if I forget the spelling of any of the new words german usually also does not help me as I have only seen the English definition and not the German translation

I have added my own synonyms, and at least the letters ä and ö are supported :slight_smile: you could always try!

lol. I’m relieved to hear that!

1 Like

Those are supported a lot more often than my language tends to be, lol

Glad it worked for you :smiley: