Most recent non-WK kanji you've learned?

It’s definitely a common word. With all the updates I lose track of what’s still not on WK though, so I don’t know if there’s a more common one.

4 Likes

蝉、thanks to @RoseWagsBlue 先輩。

Could be I just don’t have enough exposure yet or the things I have read would have used 関係 in some form instead.

1 Like

Nah, I mainly play Japanese Gameboy or DS games (using an emulator on the phone) :grimacing:

Wait, those have loading screens? Or am I missing something about the usage of 繋がる?

Not sure. The related 繋ぐ is listed as an N3 word. 手を繋ぐ is probably the first context I saw it in.

4 Likes

With how these things go, it’s probably going to come up in the next page I read tonight. :joy:

3 Likes

I think it’s common in the context of family relationships, romantic relationships and friendships if we’re talking about stories. I don’t encounter it much outside of those contexts though. Still, it’s definitely not rare.

I thought that the simplest non-WK combo that’s fairly common would be 嫉妬, but perhaps it’s a rare word on its own.

2 Likes

Good job! A while ago I did some statistics based on the The Balanced Corpus of Contemporary Written Japanese to find the most common vocab with non-WK kanji and 繋がる was indeed the top one!

Well actually it was a bit messy because the BCCWJ always use the kanji form of words in there frequency list, so the actual top one were all dumb stuff like この、その、ここ、ある etc in kanji. But after manually removing all those kind of word (marked “usually written in kana alone” on jisho), the list was the following:

Top 50 vocab from BCCWJ with non-WK kanji

繋がる
頷く
掴む
覗く
溢れる
呟く
繋ぐ
揃う
窺う
溜まる
辿る
噛む
揃える
晒す
溜め息
拭く
薔薇
曖昧
完璧
剥く
騙す
辿り着く
潰す
繋がり
蘇る
焚く
囁く
破綻
馴染む
遡る
馴染み
溜める
覗き込む
撫でる
睨む
這う
石鹸
微塵
嫉妬
腫瘍
麻痺
怯える
潰れる
賑やか
躊躇う

9 Likes

Interesting, thanks for this! Time to enter the rest of the words in the list into my Anki Deck :joy:

1 Like

Nice list, thank you! It’s good to know that I’ve already seen lots of these kanji in books - and I’m quite surprised to hear that they are not in WaniKani…

1 Like

Thanks for the list, glad to see that I know the majority of those as well^^.
繋ぐ/繋がる is also marked “usually written using Kana alone” on Jisho, right? You didn’t remove them however (though I personally feel that I almost exclusively see it in Kanji form).
So if I understood correctly, from the BCCWJ list you extracted you can’t conclude in which written form the word is most frequently seen, right?
FYI 頷く is on Wanikani, but written as 肯く (dunno about any semantic differences the two versions might carry, and the former variant seems to be the much more frequent way to write it, based on Google results…).

I’ve seen it quite a bunch in kanji, e.g. Yougisha X exclusively uses the kanji version of it (that’s how I learned it).

Oh, that’s interesting! I’ve seen the former much more frequently in books, but e.g. Murakami likes to use the latter (with furigana!). So the WK kanji of choice seems to be double unlucky here…

2 Likes

Latest kanji I have learned outside side WK is 邏 from 警邏 (けいら, patrol), or, more specifically, 航空警邏艦

2 Likes

squints

So, uh, latest kanji I have learned is 邏

On a more serious note I think the last one I learned was 匙 from 匙を投げる

Purely based off of its definition, probably would expect to see it sooner.

6 Likes

It’s also nice and phono-semantic! You see it once, you can’t forget it.

3 Likes

I am now officially 1 kanji smarter.

Lord knows when I’ll see it though if you just now learned it lmao

3 Likes

Yeah, I was going to say, at least the reading is easy. Though I have to squint to make it out well enough to see the phonetic component!

That is a bit surprising! Not that it’s a super common word, but it’s common enough that I’m surprised you haven’t seen it until recently.

2 Likes

匙を投げる or 匙? I think さじ is usually in kana

I meant the kanji in general, not in that specific word. I’ve seen 匙 by itself written in kanji before, but I know it’s often written in just kana too.

3 Likes