Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Quite an easy one, but today I learned 食う isn’t a misspelling.
Its a cool male way to say “to eat”, so of course I’ll use it, because I’m a cool boy. :sunglasses:

Obs: This is not absolute. Don’t kill me with exceptions. Just a general pov.

傾向 (けいこう) vs 動向 (どうこう)
Tendency vs tendency/trend.

傾向 => Usually more connected to statistics or natural phenomena. Not directly influenced by man.

• 海面上昇の傾向がある。
    There’s the tendency for the rise in the sea levels.

動向 => Usually related to man activities.

• 市場の動向 (しじょうのどうこう) - market trend.
    経済の動向 (けいざいのどうこう) - economic trend.

I personally prefer translating 傾向 as tendency and 動向 as trend. Viewed that way, the usage seems closer to English.

Extra vocab used: 海面上昇 (かいめんじょうしょう) - sea level rise

2 Likes

まご - backscratcher

When I initially came across this, I was wondering what they were using their grandchild’s hand for and then found out it’s actually a word for backscratcher :thinking:

2 Likes

Let’s see… I suppose it’s “音楽 (おんがく).”

It means music.

やった!

1 Like

飼い殺し which apparently refers to when you’re just kinda kept at a job with no progression or purpose? Death by being kept as a pet. Nice.

3 Likes

日本 (にほん) - Japan.
I know both these individual Kanji and think it is so cool it incorporated “The Land of the Rising Sun”. And now I know how to properly say Japan, and also notice anything written in Japanese by its name.

2 Likes

音 (おと) vs 物音 (ものおと) vs 雑音 (ざつおん) vs 騒音 (そうおん)
Sounds and noises.

• 音 (sound) is the general denomination. It includes all types of sounds, from something hitting the floor to the sound of a musical note.

• 物音 (sound) is a category of 音. It usually refers to sounds that you don’t know their origin. For example, you’re at home and you’re hearing something in the next room. No one is at home, so you don’t know the source of this sound.

• 雑音 (noise) usually refers to small noises that are unpleasant/annoying to you.

• 騒音 (noise) is usually for big noises that irritate you. It gets to a point of being able to call it noise pollution.

Bonus vocab: 騒音公害 (そうおんこうがい) - noise polution.

3 Likes

kau - to raise (a pet). Learned it through WaniKani about 30 minutes ago! :grin:

女の子 (おんなのこ)
女子 (じょし)

So what is the usage of these vocabulary words if they mean the same thing? WaniKani didn’t really go into why you would use one or the other when referring to girl. Anyone know the actual vocab usage?

Oh, oh, I was waiting for someone to ask.

2 Likes

Today I learned

情報じょうほう収集しゅうしゅう - intelligence gathering; information gathering

One of the kanji I didn’t know, so I looked it up, which lead me to my new favourite word:

情報収集衛星

じょうほうしゅうしゅうえいせい - information-gathering satellite​

I just love how long and rhyme-y it is. :joy:

1 Like

Thank you so much! I bookmarked that one!

イカダ - raft

1 Like

Came across 尊い (とうとい) in a Tokyo Ghoul episode recently (the cafe owner grandfather type says it). I was pleasantly surprised. It sounded rather formal / poetic.

And the next entry in jisho was 尊い油, huh. (たっとい - anointing oil) I would never have guessed.

老害(ろうがい) - nasty term used for describing troubles caused by old people

1 Like

天皇 - means emperor

いけ面 【いけめん】、イケメン

To describe a good-looking guy, an Adonis of some kind.
It was cute, a father complimenting his son after cutting his hair.

"え!?誰このイケメン!
なんーだ、俺の息子か!”

1 Like

One of my favorite - and learning - songs too. I also know that word from there :wink:

I’ve started reading 『君の名は。』and just encountered:
鼓膜 (こまく) - eardrum

Not something I expected lol

1 Like

I knew all these 4 words before, but I never realized they were used in this context:

If you guys ever wondered what they say during high school ceremonies where the students stand up and stuff, this is it:

「一同、起立、礼、着席」
“All concerned, stand up, bow, sit down.”

1 Like