Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

踏み台(ふみだい)a stool, small stepladder, figurative stepping stone

Not in WK (from what I know), but I recently picked it up while writing a speech for a Japanese speech contest :slightly_smiling_face:

要請, 請求 and some other kind of synonyms sigh

パン comes from Portuguese.

信憑性 (しんぴょうせい) credibility, authenticity.

本末転倒 ほんまつてんとう - failing to properly evaluate the (relative) importance (of); putting the cart before the horse; mistaking the cause for the end; mistaking the insignificant for the essential; getting one’s priorities backwards (Yojijukugo)
わり に - comparatively; relatively; pretty; rather; unexpectedly; unusually
文言 もんごん - wording (esp. of written text); classical Chinese literary style; traditional written Chinese (Only applies to ぶんげん)
がる - to stand up; to get up; to rise; to recover; to take action; to start; to make the initial charge (Sumo term); to start up; to boot up (Computer terminology)
現実 げんじつ から 逃避 とうひ する - to escape from reality
現実 げんじつ から 遊離 ゆうり している - to be out of touch with reality
遊離ゆうり - separation; isolation; extrication; release; isolation (Chemistry term)
逃避 とうひ - escape; evasion; flight
淡泊 たんぱく - light (color, taste); simple; plain (Antonym: 濃厚); frank; candid; ingenuous; indifferent
未払 みはら い - unpaid; overdue (See also 既払い)

現在進行形 = present tense, I think?
I actually was wondering if anyone knew about the usage for this one, cause I found it in a sentence that goes something like
「五月に現在進行形で彼女が語った」
And I have no idea what role that word has in the sentence

It’s the present progressive, or present continuous. I am reading. She is walking.

The simple present is just 現在形

okay but the thing happened in the past and they are giving may as when it happened.
why would they not use 五月からーーている in this case?

A person can use the present progressive at any point in time… You can say something in the present tense yesterday. Or you can say something in the past tense tomorrow. How does the grammar the person used in that moment relate to the sentence explaining the moment.

Well here’s the original sentence
5月に現在進行形 で増原裕子 とパートナー関係を続けていることをカミングアウトした。
I interpreted it as:
In May, she came out about her ongoing relationship with her partner, Masuhara Hiroko.
but that interpretation just ignores the use of 現在進行形で because neither I nor my teacher knew what to do with it and hadn’t seen it used in this way before.

Wouldn’t that suggest she said it in the form of something like “I have been dating…” rather than “I started dating” or something?

Was the sentence written by a native?

So like “the relationship she was already in at the time”? maybe\

and yes it was written by a native, this was published in the Japanese version of Forbes Magazine

Yeah, basically “she talked about her ongoing relationship with that guy using the present progressive tense” (that it had already been going on) which is still a little odd because most people don’t explicitly talk about grammar jargon in non-grammar discussions, but I get what it was saying.

We were thinking that it might be a usage more common in discussions of Queer things cause this is part of a discussion between two Queer folk.

I don’t really have much experience with that, but I wouldn’t make that connection if it does exist. I just encounter grammar terminology all the time because I teach English at a Japanese school.

I’ve been watching Rage of Bahamut with a friend. I heard them say “akari ryo” (あかりりょ?) a couple of times. From the subtitles I think it means “red dragon”.

akari I would associate with light
and ryo… do you mean ryuu 竜 that’s dragon
akaryuu might be red dragon
-resists urge to rewatch akatsuki no yona-

く - to deduct; to take away; to dock; to make allowances for something; to bear something in mind; to ebb and flow
盗難 とうなん - theft; robbery
所持品しょじひん - things at hand; personal belongings
損失 そんしつ - loss (of assets, profit, etc.)
文型ぶんけい - sentence pattern (linguistics terminology)
教案 きょうあん - lesson or teaching plan
余計よけい なお 世話 せわ - it’s none of your business; it’s not your concern
む - to take for granted; to assume; to pretend (to be); to act as if one were …; to fancy oneself as being; to do intentionally; to persist in doing
当然とうぜん のこととおも っている - to take (something) for granted
余計者よけいもの - person whose presence is unwelcome, unnecessary or a nuisance; fifth wheel; third wheel; interloper

作り目:cast on stitch
メリヤス編み:stockinette stitch

Now I can understand my Japanese knitting books I bought more than 10 years ago haha !! New cast on for me ! Happy knitting !

ひき逃げ - hit-and-run (car accident)
酒気帯び運転 or 酔っ払い運転 both mean drunk driver
指名運転者 - designated driver

And one off the most interesting driving related ones I’ve seen.

サンキュー事故 - traffic accident caused by a driver thanking another driver for letting him go first at a junction​