Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Learned from the マクドナルド ハッピーセット - えほん

I knew all the kanji and readings for this one and it was presented in furigana but I had a different guess for the meaning.

大好物・だいこうぶつ : according to google translate and jisho, it’s favorite food, but my guess was anything you really like, not necessarily food. That was surprising

5 Likes

溺れ死ぬ - to die by drowning. Nothing like good Slavic traditions :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

手作り

First time encountering づ, took me a second to figure out how to even type the romaji for it.

2 Likes

猫車 (ねこぐるま) – one name for a wheelbarrow, specifically a one-wheeled one.

3 Likes

毛玉 - furball, pill
詰め物 - stuffing (for instance of a pillow)

5 Likes

If a Japanese person hears the word 詰め物 they’re not going to think of the inside of a pillow. They’re going to think of a tooth filling. In all likelihood, anyway.

6 Likes

I heard it on a Tsukino Mito stream where she talks about a cursed pillow:

I thought it’s one of those 〜もの words like 混ぜ物 that have a more generic meaning.

2 Likes

In that case, the context clarifies it.

Just wanted others browsing the thread to know what people will imagine if they hear it in isolation. Feel free to google image search it if you don’t mind that kind of thing.

5 Likes

楽勝

Summary

らくしょう
Easy win!

1 Like

厨房(ちゅうぼう)
Noun

1. kitchen; galley​|Only applies to 厨房, Only applies to 廚房

Noun

1. (Internet) troll|​Internet slang, See also 中坊 ちゅうぼう, play on 中坊

Other forms

厨坊 【ちゅうぼう】、廚房 【ちゅうぼう】

5 Likes

逃げ水 (にげみず) - Road mirage; water mirage. The bits of “fake water” one sees on the asphalt on a hot day. It’s a cute term! I like it!

8 Likes

日曜大工 (にちようだいく) = by itself as a noun it means “a DIY-er”, but if you add する it becomes “to do a DIY project”
I like that it literally translates to “weekend carpenter” haha!
I learned this from the Prince of Tennis Switch game. Amane made a pun with it…
「日曜大工をしたい。。。一応大至急」 (にちようだいくをしたい。。。いちおうだいしきゅう) = I want to do a DIY project…as soon as possible

4 Likes

強調

Summary

きょうちょう
emphasis, highlight, stress, stressed point

• Noun
  • Takes the aux. verb する
2 Likes

ウインカー for turn signal on a car. I laughed every time the show said it hahah, its so stupid. I just imagine some old prevented guy awkwardly winking at me. Looked it up, it seems they call horse blinders ブリンカー , which probably came first, but still. Haha.

4 Likes

臀部でんぶ - buttocks

4 Likes

My favorite Nogizaka46 song!

1 Like

Ha this is super interesting - I am convinced that I once learned this word („winker“) as the English term for that thing :thinking: but when I used it a few years back in New Zealand, my conversation partner almost fell off their chair because they laughed so hard :flushed::woman_shrugging: So I don’t know why I know this word, but apparently Japanese went the same route as I did :rofl:

4 Likes

Honestly, if you think about it, “winker” is a much more logical term considering you usually only use one side at a time.

4 Likes

We say indicators in English

Just learned 元パートナー from Wanikani yesterday

2 Likes