Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

I think the term refers back to the good old days when indicators looked like this:

also in German „winken“ means „to wave the hand, a flag, etc.“ so it all lines up in my mental image :grin:

5 Likes

I get the impression that in (some parts of?) the US they can be called ‘blinkers’; here in the UK I don’t recall having heard them called anything except “indicators”.

2 Likes

In German they are called „Blinker“ so maybe that word got into the US via the German-speaking communities?

2 Likes

No one would deny that this is English, obviously, but to my American ear, indicator sounds like something you’d see in the car manual. Calling it an indicator in conversation here would raise eyebrows.

I’ve really only ever heard blinker and turn signal.

5 Likes

痙攣 (けいれん) - convulsions, cramp, spasm

Encountered it in a short story by Murata Sayaka. Her books are surprisingly easy to read, but she likes to use fancy kanji sometimes (as in using uncommon alternative writings). She’s also the first author I’ve read that actually writes 沢山 (たくさん) with kanji which I love (I’m a big supporter of using kanji whenever possible).

3 Likes

Here in Australia, we say “blinkers” for both the car turn indicators and the horse blinders.

1 Like

登録(とうろく)trying to register on a japanese website and サインイン sign in

3 Likes

(うで)()

to be itching to put one’s skills to use

7 Likes

Your arms are ringing? You should probably get that looked at…

7 Likes

Doctor: Congratulations, you have tinnitus

2 Likes

Just FYI, this word also appears in Konosuba Volume 7. It’s even in one of the illustrated panels. :laughing: Hardly an old book, but there is a noble involved in that scene, so maybe that’s why it’s suddenly an appropriate word? :rofl:

The original French for this is “concours”, and yes, it’s pronounced ‘k-nasal o-koo-French R’. Very nearly ‘kon-koor’, which lines up with the Japanese transcription.

Patient: ‘Talk to the arm hand, buddy. Talk to the hand.’

(To be clear, of course, 腕 means ‘arm’, not ‘hand’.)

6 Likes

強い(こわい) ← I promise, this is NOT the drone you are looking for reading you’re expecting :laughing:
Meaning: (literal) stiff and difficult to manage; (figurative) headstrong; exhausting

1 Like

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it just like that, but 強張る is a pretty common word that uses that reading.

4 Likes

Same, to be honest, and that’s an interesting word. Thanks!

I learnt it as part of 手強い. 手強かった comes up in Ring Fit Adventure (it was my first time hearing the Japanese voiceover), and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what the word was until I looked it up. (I’m watching an archive of someone who streamed the game.)

1 Like

Okay, this one did surprise me. I was expecting てづよい like in 根強い. Well, jisho mentions that it’s also a reading of 手強い.

@Jonapedia is there a chance it was written 手ごわい to avoid confusion?

半端ない - to a great extent, impressive

4 Likes

Not sure if that’s how it is in the JP version… See, I was watching IRyS, and somehow, her audio was in Japanese, but the interface was in English. :rofl: So yeah, no Japanese text (and I had to figure out what it was by listening + searching several times).

1 Like

眼窩がんか - eye socket

6 Likes

for YouTube this is the “Subscribe” button.

2 Likes

On the topic of the 眼s :eyes: Here’s a totally random quiz:

How many 外眼筋(がいがんきん) do we humans have?

0 voters

How many 内眼筋(ないがんきん) do we humans have?

0 voters

Answer: (no lookie before you vote!)

The first question: We technically have 6 extraocular rotatory muscles of the eye, but some literature include levator palpebrae (which lifts up the the upper eyelid), while some fail to mention the orbicularis muscle (it closes our eyelids together) because they count it as an eyelid muscle which is weird because the levator palpebrae is also a muscle in the eyelid. That’s why I left is as multiple choice, the options are technically all correct depending on how you count.

The second question: Answer is 3! Iris sphincter, iris dilator and the cililary muscle :smiley:

5 Likes

カニング-cheating

Learnt it yesterday in the jlpt when they said people will be accused of cheating if they look at anyone…

5 Likes