"More Information"

I have a BSc in computing but it was only a 2:2 so they wouldn’t let me download it.

However, I did hear about the ignore answer fiasco. Apparently it only affected those users who were trying to use the site with one hand.

If I’m understanding correctly then what you want is to be able to say see the meaning information if you got the reading wrong? If so, then the obvious reason why that’s a bad idea is that you may not yet have been quizzed on the meaning. So it does actually do harm to your learning if you go and look at what the meaning is before you’ve been quizzed on it.

As far as userscripts go, many users including myself use them regularly and they’re all built using the site’s official api. The people that write them tend to be very smart and helpful people. Saying they aren’t for “non-techs” is nonsense considering they’re easy to install and if you do a simple search you should be able to find a thread by Mempo showing exactly how to install and use them. If it’s security you’re worried about, I have never heard of any of the scripts ever being malicious.

2 Likes

Everyone’s individual. From my perspective I disagree on both counts but I can understand others will agree with you. After all you are given both meaning and reading in the lesson.

It’s clearly something that’s bugging me enough to post on the subject even if I am in a minority of one.

5 Likes

Worth noting that by not cheating and looking at the answer to a review you haven’t done, it will force you to think of the answer on your own which will aid your memory.

1 Like

I just want to point out to @Leebo and @Borx that many scripts are not built using the official API. For example, the very popular Ignore and Reorder scripts insert themselves into the site’s code to change how the site works. This is why some of these scripts occasionally cause major issues for their users (emphasis on occasionally). This is not a criticism (my scripts are built this way as well), but this is the reality of how some scripts work.

I don’t see how it “does no harm”. I guess only in the sense that no harm will come to you no matter how you use WK. If someone just checks the info before each review and never learns anything, they won’t be harmed.

But you’re not testing yourself on that part of the item during that session for no apparent reason.

2 Likes

I should have worded my post better, but what I meant was anything that’s accessing your account data is pulling the information from the api. There are probably exceptions, but usually that’s the case.

1. You learn both meaning and reading in the lesson. You have seen both.
  2. You get tested in a review for either and you get it wrong.
  3. You press F to see what both the meaning and reading are.

That is all I am suggesting.

I’m not cheating by looking before I enter an answer. That function is disabled so I can’t check before a review, only after entering the wrong answer. It’s just that I want to see both meaning and reading before I move on to the next review.

You’re still missing why this is a problem. You aren’t quizzed on the meaning and reading at the same time. If you get one wrong that’s only half of your review of that item. By seeing both the meaning and reading information at the same time you’re seeing the answer before the question. That would be the same as going and looking at all of your upcoming review items right before a review to refresh your memory. You haven’t proven that you’ve learned it and you’re going against the srs system. This is just going to hurt your learning of the item. Instead you should do both meaning and reading and after you’ve finished your review session go look at the items you got wrong on their pages. It’s more work from your standpoint, but you’re learning Japanese here. It’s not an easy process.

2 Likes

Not to mention that the website’s default design is not perfect. No human being can create a perfect design. Sometimes, people might even disagree with the default. Userscript is here to fix it.

For example, I would advise No cigar to anyone, to prevent shouldn’t-be-accepted typo.

2 Likes

I understand what you are saying but it’s not a problem for me. Both halves don’t follow each other ( except randomly ) so I am almost always having to recall, guess or work out.

As for not easy. Understatement.

PS It looks like some scripts mess with SRS. Ignore answer lets you skip a wrong answer how is that any better.

You misunderstand the point of ignore answer and you are trying to use it to defend your point. Nice.

Ignore answer is for mistypes. It has nothing to do for what you say. If it WAS used like you think it is, that would be cheating, much like looking at the answer for meaning/reading when you haven’t been quizzed on it yet.

1 Like

I haven’t used it ( or any script ) I can only go by the description and it says it gives you a chance to correct wrong answers not just typos. So you can game the SRS method.

It seems that many answers here say there is only one way of doing things but there are usercripts to do other ways.

Anyway enough, I’ve been given a workable solution and this isn’t helping my learning either.

The override script is intended for typos that you don’t want knocking an item down a bunch of srs levels. Can you imagine having a burn item and a typo making it go all the way down to Guru? If someone abuses the script, that’s on them.

1 Like

Your lack of comprehension baffles me. Is that what you got out of this?

Looking at answer beforehand bad.

Remembering item on your own good.

以上だ

1 Like
1 Like

It’s not that I don’t comprehend it’s just that my way works better for me. Just as some use scripts to improve their learning process. Jeez, one size does not fit all.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.