Implication to SRS of using Item Info button

While doing reviews, most of the time I feel like I either “know it or don’t know it” so when I get a reading wrong I immediately click on the ITEM INFO tab (the little eye) so I can find out the correct answer, enter it and move on.

But occasionally I have another go…

So just now I was reviewing 形 “Shape” in Vocabulary from Lesson 7 and I put かた. Incorrect.
So I thought, no, it’s けい. Nope. (That’s the Kanji reading, not Vocab. Or 〜形 “Form”)
Oh, I know: けん. Wrong again. (That’s 研 - Kanji for Sharpen - looks similar and sounds similar to Shape in English…)
Oh, silly me, it’s probably rendaku! がた. Nope. STILL WRONG. (That’s in Heart-ShapeD.)
But then somehow, the correct reading finally filtered through from my tiny brain to my fingers: かたち。Yay!

My question is about the implications of using the Item Info tab vs trying to make reasonable guesses. Does the system recognise that it took me 5 attempts to get it right and bring it back to me sooner or more often than when it looks like I only got it wrong once because I looked up the correct answer straightaway?

Cheers

The simplest answer is, yes, 5 wrong answers in one session will result in a lower SRS level than 1. I don’t know if we can trust the formula described in the FAQ, so maybe someone can find the exact one, but yeah.

But in the grand scheme of things, it’s not ever going to make a huge difference. When you have a burn review and get it wrong once, it’s going to be dropped back to a scale of weeks for the next review. Going back to days at that point isn’t that big of an impact for that one word.

Thanks, Leebo! :slightly_smiling_face:

The formula is RoundUp(wrong answers / 2) * penalty where penalty is 1 if the item is Apprentice and 2 if the item is Guru or higher. Therefore you will not be penalized more for a second wrong answer, but you will be penalized for a third (and fifth and seventh and so on).

2 Likes

so we should not be afraid to make mistakes ?

Yes, I definitely learned a lot from the mistakes I made for 形。In this instance it hadn’t registered with me yet that the readings for the kanji and vocab were different, or that I was mixing up Shape with Sharpen, or even Shaped… Hopefully, I’ll now get all those right in future! :persevere::smiley:
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Cheers

Actually I LOVE making mistakes at WK.
In the education system you are taught that mistakes are something bad. Something you should avoid.
But I think that mistakes help you learn. I do it just like you: I rather try to guess the right answer. When I figure out the correct meaning/reading I really feel how a new neuron connects in my brain :exploding_head:.The next time I review the Item, it WILL be in my brain! When I just look it up, I forget it a minute later.

And on the other hand I fully trust the crabigator. Its a pretty well balanced system, I think. When WK says, I should review an item more often, than they will be right :crabigator:

~T

Definitely don’t be afraid to make mistakes!

WK is actually really awesome about this. Making a mistake doesn’t lower your overall “score”/grade or trigger a “you suck” message. The primary consequence of making a mistake is that you review the item sooner … which is good!

I mean, okay, I do get frustrated when I get something wrong due to typo (eg I knew 気 is き but I hit j instead of k and didn’t notice that じ is not き) or brain fart, but overall this is the least punish-y setup. Which is good because I don’t think it’s possible to learn a language and make zero mistakes along the way, and sometimes mistakes can help you learn the answer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.