Missing Vocabulary from Level 3

Hi there!

I checked my progress on wkstats today and noticed that three vocabulary items from level 3 are greyed out, namely ~人, 女の人 and 大人しい. It is as if I’ve never unlocked them (and looking back, I don’t remember them showing up in my lessons).
So I double checked on WaniKani itself, because I thought it might have been an issue with the stats site, but the items really haven’t been unlocked yet. I’ve cleared all my lessons and reviews, so they cannot be hiding in a pile somewhere. Except for those three words, I’ve unlocked all items from level 1-4.
I recently reset to level 2 and I’m back to level 5 now, to give a little background info.

I’ve learned these words before so I’m not missing out on learning three new words, but if it’s a bug then it should be fixed, I guess (and also, those three grey words on stats bother me a bit haha)

Anyone having similar issues or is this a case for @viet?

Have you unlocked all prerequisites?
Kanji 大
Kanji 人
Radical 大
Radical 人

Yes of course, otherwise 男の人、大切 and a whole lot of other words would be locked too.

You haven’t burned them already?

Do you mean the three locked vocabs? No, I haven’t. They are simply locked, as if I’ve never done the lessons on them.

No clue

Yeah, me neither. It’s super weird haha

https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/01/30/636213841444475926-243859417_636212257568965292506529125_1445265011-vwbig.gif

Ah yes, I understand, excellent. ಠ_ಠ

3 Likes

Hello! i can’t seem to unlock anything even though im getting 100% on my radical test thingy. (that’s the scientific name)

1 Like
SRS Level Next Level Total Wait Review
Apprentice 1 4h - Lesson
Apprentice 2 8h 4h 1
Apprentice 3 1d 12h 2
Apprentice 4 2d 1d 12h 3
Guru 1 1w 3d 12h 4
Guru 2 2w 1w 3d 12h 5
Master 1M 3w 3d 12h 6
Enlighten 4M 1M 3w 3d 12h 7
Burned - 5M 3w 3d 12h 8

When you learn a new item (radical, kanji), you will be tested on it four hours later, eight hours later, one day later, two days later.

During the first three review steps, your item is marked as “apprentice”.

After the “two days later” (fourth) step review, your item is marked as “guru”.

When an item is “guru”, you are considered to have learnt that item well enough to receive new lessons based on that item. New kanji or vocabulary (words and phrases) based on that “guru” item then becomes unlocked.

If you make an error during a review, you will go back two steps, except when you are in one of the apprentice steps, where you go back one step.

After a radical (blue background) item becomes “guru”, any kanji which references that radical becomes available to you as a new lesson. After a kanji (pink background) item becomes “guru”, any vocabulary (purple background) which references that kanji will be unlocked.

After 90% of a level’s kanji items become “guru”, you go up to the next level. Many people call this “levelling up”. Any vocabulary related to the recently guru-ed kanji becomes available. A new slew of radicals and kanji (for the new level) also become available.

Every day, someone posts a new thread about this issue or they complain it is too slow and not worth using.

As the number of guru’ed items pile up, you will eventually feel very differently about the workload. For example: one guru’ed kanji can result in three new words / phrases. Each level has 30 or more kanji. If you stick with the system, you will get busy.

2 Likes

@Qiwi, if you haven’t already, please email them this bug report at hello@wanikani.com. The turnaround on emails tends to be a bit faster, and they recommend it over posting here.

Maybe they were moved…?

Y’know, like how some vocab, kanji, and radicals sometimes move levels during updates?

Great chart! Mind if I somehow point to it from the New People thread/FAQ, or would you copy/paste it over there? I think I might make another post in it be the FAQ (so make another post a wiki) and link to it from the OP so the OP doesn’t become too long. I want to grab @alexbeldan’s fixed image, too.

Hm but then they wouldn’t appear in level 3 in the level overview on WaniKani, would they? Unless they didn’t update that part of the website, but since they are such basic words, it seems rather unlikely. But who knows~

@Anaxite Oh right, I could do that. Although it’s not really urgent anyway (in my case anyway, and so far no one seems to have the same issue)

They weren’t moved. I reached lvl 3 yesterday and got all 3 of them.

Hmm, that’s super weird. Okay, your OP mentioned rfindley’s stats site. (So I didn’t know if you still saw them on WK.)

Must have to do with your level reset somehow. Definitely time to email. Weird weird.

Sure, no problem, just take it. You should know though, that while I made the chart @wunderbunny is the one who wrote the text, I just copied the whole thing. I’ll post the HTML here so you don’t have to mess with quoting to grab it

SRS Table HTML
<table>
  <tr>
    <th>SRS Level</th>
    <th>Next Level</th> 
    <th>Total Wait</th>
    <th>Review</th>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Apprentice 1</td>
    <td>4h</td>
    <td>-</td>
    <td>Lesson</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Apprentice 2</td>
    <td>8h</td>
    <td>4h</td>
    <td>1</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Apprentice 3</td>
    <td>1d</td>
    <td>12h</td>
    <td>2</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Apprentice 4</td>
    <td>2d</td>
    <td>1d 12h</td>
    <td>3</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Guru 1</td>
    <td>1w</td>
    <td>3d 12h</td>
    <td>4</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Guru 2</td>
    <td>2w</td>
    <td>1w 3d 12h</td>
    <td>5</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Master</td>
    <td>1M</td>
    <td>3w 3d 12h</td>
    <td>6</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Enlighten</td>
    <td>4M</td>
    <td>1M 3w 3d 12h</td>
    <td>7</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Burned</td>
    <td>-</td>
    <td>5M 3w 3d 12h</td>
    <td>8</td>
  </tr>
</table>

Rock on! Thanks! I’ll give you both credit when I get around to it. Bookmaking this post instead of the other. : D EDIT: No, both. You worded everything so clearly and it wasn’t a part of your HTML. Hah.

Yeah I thought so, thanks for confirming. Also, I’m glad you don’t have that issue!

@AnimeCanuck Yes, I think so, too. It seems to be the most logical explanation that it has something to do with the reset. (oh, didn’t I mention that I double-checked on WK though? But anyway, they are definitely locked there, too)

1 Like