Min post length

As most of you probably know, Discourse sets a minimum post length. The default is 20 and we’re currently set to 10. Personally, I find this annoying because you can’t easily post messages like 頑張って. Apparently the minimum can be as low as 1. So here’s a poll to find out what people think the minimum post length should be, and then I’ll tag Viet during work hours (so I don’t keep being a jerk tagging him outside of work hours) to suggest it.

• 10 (current minimum)
  • I don’t care

0 voters

3 Likes

k

4 Likes

でも…

2 Likes

1 Like

iwtcystrnajsthooybilymta

2 Likes

42 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

pogchampion

3 Likes

Not to be a naysayer, but how often do productive responses fall under 10 characters? The way I see it, having a 10 character minimum reduces the amount of pointless posting. I think that pointing out several concrete examples how lowering the minimum will benefit the community would be far more compelling to the mods beyond a poll.

2 Likes

Not every post needs to be a deep, lengthy message. You literally can’t say “Thank you”, “Good job”, “Good luck”, “頑張って”, “おめでとう”, etc. without adding some kind of punctuation, smiley, unnecessary words, or . I just think 10 is too restrictive.

1 Like

It would be nice to have more non-reply responses than just the heart, though it would require some thought on how to integrate into the GUI.

5 Likes

頻々​​​​​​​​​​​​

You mean like how Facebook has the thumbs up, sad, laugh, etc. now?

I guess. I don’t do FB. Does it seem to work well there?

The number of times I’ve added a comment to get around the minimum character length…

3 Likes

I generally just add an emoji. :slightly_smiling_face:

Or use a big word where a diminutive substitute previously sufficed.

3 Likes

For those that don’t know, you can use HTML tags (braces with text between) to fill out the character requirement, and they will be invisible.

<!-- official HTML comment →
<easyway>

You can also use that to pass secret messages, like this one →

Respond to the message and then click the speech bubble on the top left of the editor to see the full source

4 Likes

I like the 10 - it encourages people to be a little more social instead of just token “I, too, am in this thread” interjections. Plus it’s easy to get around if you really want to.

But if you really feel strongly about it:
頑張って! I hope Viet fixes it for you! (see what I did there?)

3 Likes

Yeah, but you can kinda do that anyway. And it’s less obvious you’re passing a hidden message under a three-character reply when there isn’t a ten-characted minimum limit. :slightly_smiling_face:

Indeed. Among other things, “I, too, am in this thread” is longer than ten characters. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I prefer 1 for the same reason as @seanblue stated. The 20 or 10-character minimum might make more sense for English. For Japanese or Chinese it’s too limiting.

On the other hand, if @Viet doesn’t change it, I also don’t mind. It’s very easy to circumvent, using gibberish html tags or just non-breaking space html elements.

I’ll even let Viet set the minimum limit to 100 characters if he sneaked into Koichi’s office and steal the B3 password for us hehehe…

4 Likes