Memrise English to Kanji/Kana Vocab Course

memrise English to Kanji/Kana Vocab Course

I have come across a number of people who complain that vocab is not learned English->Kanji/Kana, but only Kanji->Kana or Kanji->English.
I am currently using memrise to learn JLPT vocabs. And I really like the system there. It's focused on vocab/universial rather than Kanji, but overal is very similiar to WaniKani.
You are be able to learn things and get reviews. There are community mnemonics.

A great thing. So I thought "why not take all the vocabs and push them to memrise?"
And that's what I did. Well. At least for level 1^^
It really is quite nice with memrise. Of course, I do prefer WaniKani over memrise for Kanji, but vocab is another thing. It wouldn't hurt, if Kouiji learned something from memrise - but I guess one cannot have everything^^

I want to know from you guys, if you would be interested in such a memrise course and also might want to help me fill it. memrise is completely free and has a nice user interface, so you might want to check it out.

Link: memrise Course - WaniKani Reversed Vocab (only until lvl 3)
Link to ESaller's list: WaniKani Reverse Vocab (all levels)
Pics:

This is one of the reasons I stopped using Memrise for the kanjis. "Select the correct kanji from this list of one kanji and three items that aren't just a single kanji" doesn't quite give the little grey cells the workout they need.

That picture is… lovely. I’d just unwrapped my sandwich but now I kind of don’t want it.

I really do like the “type the kanji” and “arrange the kanji” concepts, though, since that will quiz recollection in addition to WK’s quizzes of recognition. I’ll be interested to see where you go with this idea.

I don’t know if I can disable the “select 1 of 4” type (I agree, it’s too easy). I don’t think I can - at least I don’t see any option to do so -.-
Maybe we could suggest this as a feature to them :slight_smile:

But hey - nothing is perfect :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I use memrise a lot, and I’d like to mention that once you’ve learnt the items, memrise will nearly always prompt you to write them. I have 200-ish reviews on there every day, and maybe 2 of those are “select the correct answer from x amount of items” type quizzes, and it always happens on items I’ve failed a few times before. So yeah, 99% of the time you will have to write it. (It should be mentioned that I’ve never used memrise to learn kanji, only to learn vocab. I know their hanzi courses rarely have you type in the hanzi, so that might be the issue.)

Iirc their method for teaching you the item is something like this: 1. E->J, pick the Japanese word from a list of words, 2. J->E, pick the English translation from a list, 3 and 4 are typing prompts E->J.

Shimachi said... I use memrise a lot, and I'd like to mention that once you've learnt the items, memrise will nearly always prompt you to write them. I have 200-ish reviews on there every 日, and maybe 2 of those are "select the 正しい answer from x amount of items" type quizzes, and it always happens on items I've failed a 少ない times before. So yeah, 99% of the time you will have to write it. (It should be mentioned that I've never 中古 memrise to learn kanji, only to learn vocab. I know their hanzi courses rarely have you type 中 the hanzi, so that might be the issue.)

Iirc their method for teaching you the item is something like this: 1. E->J, pick the Japanese word from a list of words, 2. J->E, pick the English translation from a list, 3 and 4 are typing prompts E->J.

Well, I don't have that many reviews, but this sure sounds reassuring! Thanks for sharing that info :)

minecrawlerx could you add me on Skype please? My username is floe025.

UPDATE: I added level 2 :slight_smile:

floe said…
minecrawlerx could you add me on Skype please? My username is floe025.
 will do once I get home

Awesome, thanks for doing that. :slight_smile:

Interesting idea. By the way, that Rhino image caught me totally off card. That’s my new mnemonic from now on for the “Below” Kanji.

If anyone wants another mempal, my username is ‘‘Mintbear’’ :) 

I added level three. But I have so little time at the moment. If anyone wants to help me by adding a level from time to time - that would really speed up things.

This is great! How can I help?

So I did some work myself and at http://www.memrise.com/course/257736/wanikani-reverse-kanji/

I have only the Kanji so far not the Vocab list.

If there is interest I can make a deck for Vocab too.

I could invite you as editors. Let’s do this together!

Sure I could provide all the vocab in a .csv format (also all the kanji in a .csv as well) You could then just add them in bulk to memrise.

For the Vocab I still need a day or so because I am on mobile right now and will be back home late.

Username is the same as here.

I didn’t know that you can import a .csv. Also that might make problems when choosing a vocab version with audio file (they sometimes already exist and I prefer having audio^^)
Either way, I will add you as editor. Thank you!

I live in japan and am slowly learning the language. I have found that kanji i know the words vfor are much easier to remember. I started using memrise now o help more. But knowing migi and hidari or iriguchi and deguchi help on thing i would have struggled with early on.

Is this any different than reversing sides on an Anki deck?

Oh great! I couldn’t find any premade deck with vocabulary for Memrise (it’s searching system sucks), which I use for learning English, so I started making my own deck. Great to see you’ve already done this! I hope you’ll bulk add these next levels before my level up :slight_smile: