Memrise English to Kanji/Kana Vocab Course

minecrawlerx said... I added level three. But I have so little time at the moment. If anyone wants to help me by adding a level from time to time - that would really speed up things.
 I can help with whatever you need just let me know :)

Are these “Arrange the Kanji” question reasonable? I don’t like and turned them off in a course I was making. Maybe I’m wrong, so could anybody tell me if they have good learning value?

So here is a short update on my work:

I had to make my own Memrise deck OR delete/rearrange all your work in the current one.

I went with making my own.

I have all 5028 Vocab in the following format: Kanji; English;  Alternative Meanings; Kana; Audio
Everything is script generated and should be without error. If something is really wrong message me.

When there are no "Alternative Meanings" I have adapted the WaniKani "N/A" instead of a blank "".

You have to write Katakana where Katakana are needed.

For audio I have auto-generated Japanese TTS (female voice on a normal speed) files for every vocab that I am currently uploading to Memrise.
These are based on the Kana readings so they should all be right. 

For the deck itself I have it set to: Test on Kana, prompt with English.

My reasoning is that you should be able to remember the the pronunciation not the kanji itself. Also all IMEs would just autocomplete the kanji based on the kana anyway. With the time restrictions in Memrise and in general this seems to be the best solution.

You can find it under the following link: http://www.memrise.com/course/258519/wanikani-reverse-vocab/

@ESaller: That’s a nice list, thank you! I added the link to post 1 :slight_smile:

I gave it a quick test drive. I like it :slight_smile:

I can’t make a final judgement until I use it longer but I do like the time constraint as it forces me to churn out an answer quickly.

minecrawlerx said... @ESaller: That's a nice list, thank you! I added the link to post 1 :)
 Random question: is your gravator from black rock shooter?
freakymrq said...
minecrawlerx said... @ESaller: That's a nice list, thank you! I added the link to post 1 :)
Yes, it even _is_ Black Rock Shooter ;)
minecrawlerx said...
freakymrq said...
Yes, it even _is_ Black Rock Shooter ;)
 I just watched the whole series and OVA last night XD

@ESaller

The only issue I have with your course so far is that for american it takes it in romaji as amerikazin only. I know really both works with that or with jin but other than that It’s a really solid set. I’m still going through level one but I’ll let you know if I see any issues.

Is there any way to type the answers in characters?
So far I can only write it in romaji, and some of them don’t accept what I write. e.g.: French person is huransuzin ( I wrote furansujin and got it wrong) and eight things is yatsutsu (I expected yattsu to account for the small tsu). I really like this idea, but struggling with the different way of typing in the answers compared to wanikani.

elisa25 said... Is there any way to type the answers in characters?

To write kana/kanji on memrise you need to use an IME. Google IME is very good.

http://www.google.com/ime/
elisa25 said...Is there any way to type the answers in characters?

Thank you! That has made it so much easier. Now I'm  finding this a really useful course!
elisa25 said...
elisa25 said...Is there any way to type the answers in characters?

Thank you! That has made it so much easier. Now I'm  finding this a really useful course!
 Shortcuts that make it easier:

Alt + Shift: Switch between English and Japanese entry
Ctrl + Caps Lock: Hiragana
Alt + Caps Lock: Katakana