Making Progress on the Dashboard, Take 2

It looks great, but it shows my level 2 progress. I’m only 10 vocab items into level 1.

That is because only the kanji count toward level up. The dashboard won’t show vocab progress at all. You are already level 2, so it shows the radicals and kanji for your current level.

Hey why is WaniKani still so slow? Some update. :roll_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Just thought I’d pop in and say that I have a few friends in the lower levels/earlier stages of using WaniKani who don’t use the forums, and they’re very much pleased with this new update. So for those of us who are a bit blind to how a beginner may view this update, I imagine it’s actually been appreciated by a good number of them who aren’t voicing their opinions publicly here. Nice work WaniKani team!

9 Likes

I was one of the people who didn’t really want the dashboard to change, but I have to say I’m very pleased with the outcome! It’s simple, motivating and attractive. Good work!

1 Like

I don’t know if this is the right place to ask but I didn’t want to make a whole post. Basically none of my scripts are working for some reason, is anyone else having this problem? or does anyone know what could be causing it? The weird thing is, if I go to WaniKani — Log in most of the scripts work. :thinking:

Did you check for updates to the scripts?

Yup, no updates. Are your scripts working? I’ll try on a different browser

Edit: Ok nvm, the scripts work in incognito so it’s definitely a problem on my side. I’ll try deleting cookies or smth.
Edit2: Omg literally just restarting chrome solved the problem… I’m sorry LOL

3 Likes

I’m liking the incremental roll out of React btw.

Can we get back kanji/radical meaning&reading hint on mouse hover instead of (IMO) fairly useless: “You’ve finished the lesson for this one, which means it’s in your review pile and you can review it in about 3 hours. Keep doing your reviews and watch your ability crabscend.”?
I’ve been used to do a quick review on dashboard just by hovering over each item to see its meaning and reading. If the new hints are useful to other, then maybe make it switchable in profile? Thanks.

If you were doing this right before you did your actual review, that defeats the purpose of SRS, since the idea is to get them into your long-term memory, but doing a pre-review review just refreshes your short-term memory instead.

2 Likes

depends on how you use it. extra study can never be too bad, and a review is also just short term memory input (hopefully transitioning to longterm sometime).
In any case, the SRS will correct that at some point.
in school, you wouldn’t be scolded for looking into your textbook outside of class ^^

by the way, wasn’t the hover to see meaning/readings a userscript? maybe i misremember

Repetition increases long-term retention. Obviously, screening all your items right before the burn review so you can’t miss any is abuse of the intent, but that’s an extreme edge case. If you reviewed an item every day for 4 months, I’d say it’s safe to burn that one. (But that’s another extreme edge case, it gets fuzzy in the middle)

2 Likes

i just checked and i actually see the meaning&reading hint right now:

it might be different when the items are new or you just did the lesson or something.

That’s the effect of this script :wink:

2 Likes

right, had a hunch but forgot the name.
and i sometimes also get the longer text tomokinoyokai described.

I’m sure your advice was well meant, it was based on wrong assumption though. Anyway, I didn’t ask the question to argue about SRS, but to find out whether the additional reading&meaning information can be provided on dashboard, as it is something I was used to and now it’s gone.

Did anyone argue that it wouldn’t be good for beginners?

I think most people argued (at least I did) that it didn’t make any positive difference for general users and it just changed things around, removing the option to not see items as the default.

So just now I’m getting the new version of the Dashboard as the default (which I really don’t like, especially since none of my installed scripts are working) with no option to revert to the old Dashboard. But in Firefox on the same computer I still get the old Dashboard will all my scripts. What’s going on?

Check your scripts for updates. If they haven’t been fixed by now, they’re no longer being kept up-to-date.

Try force-refreshing.