Make Reading its own section

@afunian still posts once in a while, so, kinda?
@Wildjinjer is definitely around though.

2 Likes

Oh! Thanks :slight_smile:

I didn’t realize this was a power I had :flushed:
Otherwise I would have been helping these last few days. Doing what I can right now before work.

4 Likes

Thanks for your help :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

One more thing before I forget. If there’s a way to order the subcategories, you may want to move Book Clubs subcategory above Archive and the Japanese Only subcategories (at the very least). This affects a few places, but most importantly the subcategory dropdown.

Same suggestion for moving the Level 60 Celebration subcategory in the WaniKani category above Archive.

10 Likes

I just scrolled through the entirety of the Reading section (yes, I’m crazy), and I think we got all the book clubs at this point. All that’s left is the question of what we should do with book club-adjacent topics and people gauging for interest in potential book clubs. Here are the ones I’m torn on:

2 Likes

I haven’t really looked through all of them but I will move ‘how to run a wk bookclub’ and pin it for the book club category in case anyone new wants to start one.

Also I don’t see an option to reorder subcategories but I’ll look into it.

4 Likes

Ha, I was a bit reluctant to even mention this one in the list above because the topic was a bit controversial at the time. Mostly because I felt it had so much information that it would scare people away from leading book clubs. :sweat_smile: I do see it’s formatted much better that it was originally, so hopefully it’s not as offputting now. Not sure how others feel about that being pinned. (I haven’t reread the contents for accuracy/usefulness, nor do I plan to.)

Oh also, I wasn’t listing those topics for you to decide (if that’s what you thought). It was mostly a question to others in the community who tend to lead and participate in a lot of book clubs.

3 Likes

Right, also having a book club category makes it sound even more formal, and pinning it would be like saying “this is a way to do it”.

Except for the debate one (the first one), I would put all of them in the book club category. Trying to organize a book club is part of book club activities.

For the debate one, it’s much more fuzzy. I feel like either options work. Still, leaving it in reading makes it stand out better, and it’s not like they are updating like crazy (which was the reason to move things in the first place).
Edit: checking the content though, it reads like a club thread (like, say, the intermediate book club thread). If the related book club threads have been moved, it makes sense to move it too.

3 Likes

Is that not something you guys agreed on and wrote together? That was my impression but no worries, I’ll unpin/move it back to Reading then and people here can decide what they want to do.

3 Likes

Reordering should be done now.

5 Likes

No no, it’s fine to leave it in the book club category. :bowing_man:
I’m not sure about pinning it, but that’s just one opinion

2 Likes

Thanks. If we decide to discuss it and make anything formalized we’ll let you know so it can be pinned again.

1 Like

Ah, I didn’t realize there were related topics that were already moved. I just moved this one too then.

Perhaps if we restructure it as “tips” it’ll be better. Personally, I don’t see a need for it at all, but maybe it’s useful for newer members. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Oh! Yes, just making clear that those are helpful tips (from the title for instance) rather than recommendations/specifications would probably make it a lot less scary.

4 Likes

Everyone deserves a Helpful Durtle for helping out with moving threads (and clicking boxes) :partying_face: :sparkles:

Aka Box Durtle

Helpful Durtle

6 Likes

Still waiting for my Book Club Durtle.

4 Likes

At the time there seemed to be several people reluctant to lead bookclubs because they didn’t know what it entailed. I had the time so I wrote the post based on my experience and what I observed. I did mean for it to be a community effort. I made it a wiki in the hopes that others might add to it or change it, and I reformatted it a few times based on feedback.

I agree that having a “How to Run a Wanikani Bookclub” thread in the “Book Clubs” section of the forum makes it seem too formal. As a start I changed the title.

I think that something of this nature would be a helpful thing to have pinned, so I would encourage any other regular bookclub participant to write a new one, alter that one, or leave some feedback on how to make it more useful.

If there’s a consensus that its existence in any form does more harm than good, then it should probably be removed entirely.

For all the time we all spend reading, I didn’t think it was that long. :disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes

At least the original version contained an overwhelming amount of information, so I never read the whole thing. I don’t have the time to read the whole thing and give constructive feedback at the moment either. If others read through and help refine it first, I can take a look sometime after that.

For the record, I appreciate the effort you put into it. I think in some form it could be valuable to users who are on the fence about running a book club.

4 Likes

By the way, I don’t think it is that long in the absolute!
I’m just thinking of the typical use case, which, probably, would be someone who has not been around for so long (or simply never really joined a club) and want to start something independently of one of the main groups. They may be nervous about starting anything and the info dump might overwhelm them.
The intro of the thread is nice in making it clear that it’s just to help, but people might get scared off before reading it. As long as there’s a short bolded (so that they really see it) disclaimer at the top saying “people don’t need to follow those suggestions, but they’ve been widely used and they help” or something like that, I think it’s fine as is otherwise.

3 Likes