Listening Practice 🎧 What do you listen to for Japanese practice?

I will!

As for my own recommendation, I choose: Flesh and Blood.

It’s a BL historical drama played out during the 1500s, when Spain was at war with England - leading to the sinking of the Spanish Armada in the English Chanel.

So, the story is about this guy, Kaito Togo, descendants of Japanese parents living in the UK, getting into a time-wormhole of sorts, and getting transported back in time. He’s merely clinging onto the first person that helps him, but he ends up on this ship, the Gloria, under the Captain of Geffrey Rockford. His understanding of the future, and as a history student, puts him in a unique position as the historical events unfold.

There’s a lot of political intrigue, both on land, on royal courts, and on the ocean! (+well-produced music, SFX and an A-star cast making it a true gem of BL audio production :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: ).

Cast:
Kaito Togo: Fukuyama Jun
Geoffrey Rockford: Suwabe Junichi
Nigel Graham: Konishi Katsuyuki
Vincente de Santillana: Ookawa Tooru
Christopher Marlowe: Miki Shinichiro
Leonard Barreta: Kouki Miyata
etc. among others
also Jouji Nakata, Kouji Yusa etc.

Notes
BL romance themes are kept on a leash in this one and the historical drama at the forefront until later on in the series as those themes flourish. It’s an action/intrigue-driven drama.

Difficulty: medium+ or advanced?
You’ll have to brush up on your historical Japanese words and phrasing, because all the court drama uses it. The main character is easy enough to understand, being born in the 2000s, but the other characters are not as easy at times. It’s a historical drama through-and-through. :sailboat:

15 Likes