🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Spring 2023 🌼 🌱

:hot_pepper: April 23

Trip to the 'burbs today for dinner. Listened to Murders in the Rue Morgue (Aozora Bunko Japanese reading) on the way there and back. ~1.5 hours.

Later in the evening I listened to four episodes of Sakura Tips podcast.

17 Likes

I have been slacking on Japanese. I have just not felt like doing anything which is bad since I have the N4 coming up plus I live here and want to be able to have conversations.

Anyway, I watched 3 episodes of Old Enough season 2. They were enjoyable and I love that we got updates on the kids as adults.

16 Likes

Apr 24, Mon of Week 5 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

こころ (夏目漱石) : (下) 先生と遺書 Ch.10-12. I like the voice in audiobook.jp more than sosekiproject. Also, 4 at once, vs 9 (where I managed to connect to a long audio).

Not much today, for a full work day, even now.

16 Likes

24/04/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

1 episode about solo travelling from Japanese with Shun.

Gosh, it was super interesting to listen to this story. It wasn’t as difficult as I expected it to be, but I came across 3 new words this time (forgot to note them down as usual)

Apparently, Shun started solo backpacking when he was 19 :face_holding_back_tears: I’m sooo jealous!

16 Likes

April 24th!

Another episode of Rilakkuma’s Theme Park Adventure today. I’m half way through the series now, so I’m going to need to start thinking about what to watch next. The 12-15 minute length of these episodes has been really good for me so I’m hoping I can find something else with a similar length as well as a similar difficulty.

(Home Post)

16 Likes

I got recommended a documentary about a woman whose memory only lasts for 7 seconds: 【初公開!完全版】7秒前の記憶が消えていく女性・・“すべてをメモする生活”に長期密着取材「消えていく今~7秒の記憶と生きる~」CBCドキュメンタリー - YouTube

I know this topic bother some people so details in drop

I’ve so far watched the first ~15 minutes. It’s mostly easy for me to grasp, but when her mother talked I had more trouble picking up what she was saying. This seems set in 2013, and in 2007 she had brain inflammation due to a virus which caused this condition. ヘルペス脳炎 - which I googled for the English word and got herpes simplex encephalitis.

Quite sad. She’s 100% cognizant, no dementia or anything that I can tell, just struggles to form new memories. Also her doctor saying it can happen to anyone and that there’s nothing you can do to protect yourself from it is :scream:

15 Likes

watched:

SHINING PRINCESS (JAPANESE) Japanese classical stories | fairy tale - YouTube

17 Likes

:speaker: :blossom: softlyraining’s garden of sounds :cherry_blossom: :headphones:

April 15th 〜 April 24th

Long time, no post! I’m still watching Aggretsuko. I think I made it to the end of the 3rd season? I’ll have to check. It’s pretty challenging; I understand what happens in each episode, but sometimes I think I rely on context clues far more than I would like. Some characters are just plain hard to understand, though, like Retsuko’s hippo co-worker.

Yesterday, I saw the Spirited Away stage play at the movies! Wasn’t too hard to understand, though I did look at the subtitles while listening because I also wanted to compare the translation to what I was hearing. There are a few little differences between the stage play and the original film, but overall it was very faithful to it. The puppetry and set design were amazing! :heart_eyes:

Today was just simple practice with Satori Reader. Might stick with that for tomorrow, as well, and return to Aggretsuko on Wednesday.

17 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :seedling: 4月24日 :seedling: :cherry_blossom: (Home Post Link)

I watched the new episode of witch from mercury today, and mostly was following it without english subs, and then after I was done working for the day I was nestled in and watching some original gundam, but I decided to take a break to watch something as dedicated listening quickly

Listened:

16 Likes

:hot_pepper: April 24

Read Real Japanese - Essays -真っ白嘘 村上春樹.
The Read Real Japanese books have finally come into play! Purchased them such a long time ago. The first volume (Fiction) was one of the first Japanese learning oriented books in my collection.
I listened to 真っ白嘘 once by itself. It’s just shy of four minutes. Then listened again while reading along. After thoroughly reading the story I listened twice more. Once with text once without.

Watched some of the youtube shared here and caught some more Edgar Allen Poe in the car.

17 Likes

Apr 25, Tue of Week 5 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

こころ (夏目漱石) : (下) 先生と遺書 Ch.13-16.

歴史 [30-31/90] - 室町時代 [5-6/6]. Next’s gonna be overseas, before eventually resuming to 戦国時代. (Everything outside Japan is presumably overseas.)

Places and names

文化

Then, I watched かぐや姫 above, and 一寸法師. (Which the latter is from 室町時代. No idea it uses these Kanji.)

16 Likes

25/04/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

2 episodes from Japanese with Shun. Finally broke past the only-one-episode-per-day thing :relieved:

Really enjoyed both the episodes as usual. It was such a shock (as an insufferable introvert) to hear that Shun was just walking around in a new country making friends On The Street?!

It was a little difficult this time, because Shun described his first day, the city where he lived, Thai food and so on. Excited to listen to the other two parts of his solo travelling series.

17 Likes

Watched

LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD | Folktales | bedtime stories - YouTube

13 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 25, 4 月 25 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:mount_fuji: Nihongo con Teppei - Episodes 1 - 3
Relistening to some of Teppei because I haven’t listened to him for some time and wasn’t ready for new material. The transcripts are still so, so important to my understanding/enjoyment.

15 Likes

April 25th!

Just a tiny listen today - An episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners that was about how Japanese people learn Japanese.

(Home Post)

16 Likes

Today was a charming interview with a transgender lady:

I liked how incredibly upbeat this interview was. It felt really respectful and just plain cute at the end.

16 Likes

Ah, these books are so tempting. I want to get fiction or essays, but they’re super expensive. Would you recommend them to someone who’s slowly transitioning from beginner to intermediate? Maybe around N4 with just a little of N3?

8 Likes

I feel like that is very much the level that Satori Reader is made for.

I enjoyed the darker stories on the app, but lots of light hearted ones as well. Not as boring as most graded reader type content, and it will give you a hand when you need it.

7 Likes

Having only now read the first entry from Essays and part of the first from Fiction I can’t recommend based on much. I can recommend though, I think, for your level. Based on the furigana, the in-built dictionary, and the level of the grammar notes. The side-by-side reading/break-down flow is very nice. Paragraphs are translated by each numbered phrase.
Just thumbed through the stories. None of them appear to involve school life in any way.

7 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :seedling: 4月25日 :seedling: :cherry_blossom: (Home Post Link)

Listened:

• 朝ミオ 4/24 (大神ミオ ライブ) ~25 minutes ー Got to it a little late this week, but was still a nice chill stream. Didn’t get through all the letters, but might finish them tomorrow. There was a spot where she was talking about doing swimming in elementary school that I want to re-listen to as well because I didn’t catch a good bit of the story

Word(s) of the Day:
心がける ー to keep in mind; to bear in mind; to try; to aim to do
有給休暇(ゆうきゅうきゅうか)ー paid vacation
受け身(うけみ)ー passive attitude; passivity; passiveness

15 Likes