🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

I’m glad! It looks like they have a bunch of episodes too, so hopefully you can stay entertained for a while!

4 Likes

I haven’t been doing any listening lately (except from when I’m playing 二ノ国; I also listen NHK Easy News, but I’m not sure it counts as they are auto-voiced), so I think this thread is a nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaice oppurrtunity for me to fix that :cat2:

Oct
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Nov
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

My main source of listening is

https://nihongoconteppei.com/

I have tried listening to more advanced

but it is still above my current level – some podcasts I understand almost completely and some – only vaguely.

P. S. The way Discourse displays these two links might make you think they are the same link, but they are not – they are both from Teppei 先生、but the first one is the simplified version for beginners.

Also, thanks to @edelstein さん、discovered this wonderful channel:

13 Likes

I think that’s so interesting because I’ve never noticed the same thing with English subtitles to the same extent (yes, sometimes I watch shows with English subtitles on lol). Like there are things that get left out of the English ones, but sometimes the entire word changes in the Japanese ones. But I guess maybe what I’m actually watching in English is closed captioning, which it sounds like would take yet a different approach vs. subtitling (i.e., being more of a literal transcription than subtitles would be). So maybe the same thing does happen in English subtitles and I’ve just never noticed? I’ll have to check what I’m using the next time I do that. :thinking: Sorry, this is really interesting to me, after all these comments I feel like I must be the only one who didn’t know :joy: Thank you for enlightening me, I love learning random stuff like this :heart:

I honestly can’t decide if I should or shouldn’t turn them off. When it’s really different, it does get distracting, but my listening is so bad, I don’t think I’ll understand anything without them :sweat_smile: The subtitles are still too fast for me to fully read them, but sometimes just a hint is enough lol

One thing I noticed consistently (with this show at least) is that the subs seem to drop a lot of the kind of extra tone/politeness indicators, like the のね’s and that sort of thing that get thrown into the spoken dubs. It seems like they might tend toward the more plain forms of verbs and stuff like that too (not always, but I’m pretty sure I heard some spoken ーますs etc that were not ーます in the subs). I’m assuming for ease of reading and for the character length limit you mentioned, since the subs are already quite long to read in the time frame given (for me at least) :joy: Or like the dub will say 分からない and the sub will say 知らない. Idk, I find it interesting to play spot the difference, it’s like a game xD Another reason I don’t know if I want to turn them off.

10 Likes

Heck, you’ve got me interested in it now! (Sounds like something I should’ve been looking into already, frankly.) If you’re having fun with it, I say continue with the subtitles on. :grin:

6 Likes

Main post

On October the 5th I’ve listened to

• Nihongo Con Teppei for beginners episodes 568 - 578.
  • Today’s NHK Easy News. I thought about it and decided that even though they’re auto-voiced, they still do count.
13 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 5, 5th of October :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Not in the mood for podcasts today, so I just listened to the audio of the Tadoku readers I read today. It was called “どっち?” and I chose it because a) it had a cat, and b) I struggle with adverbs and this was about one, so…

Very cute, and because you can see the cat’s expressions and are familiar with stereotypes about cats, one can infer the correct meaning of the story even without vocabulary.

I think I’m gonna stick to these readers for now, keeping this up every day is exhausting and these are very easy even for my level. Staying consistent is more important right now than upping the difficulty.

10 Likes

October 5th!

Today I listened to Lesson 5 of JapanesePod101’s Upper Beginner, Season 1 while I was eating my lunch.
It was focused on kenjyougo, and used an earthquake announcement as an example.

This evening, I listened to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners too.

(Home Post)

11 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 5th

Got in a video before bed. This time, I decided to check in on my girl Naoko. She’s moving back to Japan from Spain, and this video showcased different items she’s packing up to take with her. I learned the word for the day after the day after tomorrow (three days from now): しあさって (gotta ;love the kanji for this one: 明明後日).

Honestly, the section where she’s just sitting around looking through the random stuff she’s collected while she’s lived there…how freaking relatable. Every time I decided to go through my things looking to clean or unload stuff from my possession. She’s really relaxing to listen to, and I can follow what she’s saying easily. While maybe not a challenge, it was a good pick right before going to sleep.

13 Likes

Love the Nihongo SWITCH channel! Definitely check out her website, though. Only a handful of her podcasts are on her YouTube channel, plus she hasn’t uploaded anything there for some time despite continuing to do so on the website. I personally preferred listening to them on YouTube, but alas.

7 Likes

Finished JoJo Part 2 tonight. FINALLY! I now can say I only haven’t seen Part 3, which is gonna change! Onward and upward!

9 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 6, 6th of October :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Stumbled upon a video in my recommendations about a weird apartment in Osaka. The guy in the video speaks English, but halfway through he invites someone to judge the apartment and she speaks Japanese. The subtitles are unfortunately baked-in, but it was quite interesting to hear more conversational spoken Japanese.

The video was fun, so I watched the other two where she showed up, here, and here. Topic was still weird small apartments in Japan.

It helped me with contextualizing some adverbs, too! けど is now something I’ll have less trouble with. :smile:

12 Likes

Main post

On October the 6th I’ve listened to

• Nihongo Con Teppei for beginners episodes 579 – 586.
  • Today’s NHK Easy News.

P. S. I wonder what’s better – to reply to my own last post each time (while giving the link to the main post) or to reply to my main post each time… :thinking:
I use the latter in the Read Everyday Challenge, but decided to try the former here. We’ll see which one will be more convenient.

12 Likes

That one showed up in mine, too. The algorithm moves in mysterious ways :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

October 6th

Just a little listen today - one episode of Nihongo con Teppei.
Also listened to some music while I was doing some writing :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

12 Likes

October 1 - October 6

:headphones: (audiobook) 九十九の空傘 | → ~50%
:tv: (anime) ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ Bungō Stray Dogs | Ep. 4 → End of Season 1

So, up to the beginning of this challenge I had mostly been listening to/watching ‘realistic’ things (regular drama shows and the like) because that seems to be the easiest. But I’ve been growing a bit tired of that, so I’ve been trying to find things to listen to or watch that I can more or less understand & that are at the same time closer to my usual favorite genres - sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, suspense, anything with a plot outside of regular drama/slice of life stuff, basically. Unfortunately that’s not at all an easy task :sob:
So, I tried Bungo Stray Dogs and the first few episodes were pretty comprehensible actually, but then of course it got harder - Welp. :see_no_evil: Anyway, I liked it enough to continue anyway, I miss things but with a lot of focus it’s just about okay.
It’s a crime/super powers/comedy mix kind of thing, kind of silly but in a fun way :laughing:
Bonus points for not being about high schoolers for once.

I also tried one of these

I’m always happy to try podcasts with short episodes - I don’t often have the patience for the longer ones :see_no_evil: Cool concept, might listen to more of them in the future, thanks for mentioning it :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

Summary Post

October 6th
What did I listen to?: A Series of Unfortunate Events Ep 2
How much time did I spend listening?: 48 min (? however long the episode was)

Oof, yesterday was a bad day. I didn’t think I’d be missing a day so early in the challenge but I just…could not. Fortunately, today was much better (even though I like…didn’t sleep last night lmao, but sometimes I think that lack of sleep ends up mellowing me out in a way that’s not all bad. Eventually I get too tired to keep stressing :upside_down_face:) Anyway, I managed to squeeze in another episode of A Series of Unfortunate Events today. I found myself looking at the subtitles less this time, possibly because I felt like I could actually…catch a lot more of the spoken words in this episode? Like I could hear the sounds better. Of course, there were some sections that were basically incomprehensible because of (mostly law-related) vocab I didn’t know, but I know the series well enough that it really didn’t even bother me :joy:

12 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 6th

Just did a little Satori Reader today. I honestly didn’t feel like doing much else. It happens; hopefully I’ll be more energized tomorrow.

12 Likes

Finished Men in Black last night.
Watched all of Men in Black 2 tonight.
Thought I had seen it already but apparently not. Comprehension level not nearly as high as during the first movie.

12 Likes

X3 I will try to join too. I hope I will find enough material to listen to. So far I found it difficult.

Oh but yeah actually I did listen to something already yesterday.

Did Listening lessons in the book Try! JLPT N3.

10 Likes

Kanrei’s Listening Challenge

Oct
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Nov
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

Listened to

• Try! JLPT N3 (Started at Lesson 7)
    I listen to the text in the beginning without reading, then with reading, and again just reading to go through words which I didn’t understand.
    Then there’s a JLPT mock test and there’s some listening exercises too.
13 Likes