🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

Where have you gotten to ? Trying to the remember the storyline.

1 Like

Episode 12.
Parasyte spoilers:

Kana, the girl who could sense the parasites, was just killed by one. A parasite has run for mayor and won. They’re organizing themselves into “respectable” members of society.

5 Likes

Nov 2, Wed of Week 6 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Yesterday and today, I watched Yurucamp S2 EP.5-7. However, it isn’t really easy. There is a little thing about dialect.

Watching other series (Attack on Titan) on Netflix + VPN as well, but JP VPN sometimes has another problem – There is no EN sub, nor any language other than Japanese. With Language Reactor, even with JP sub on, only if there are other subs, it is easy to see those subs alongside when I need to.

Well, it’s probably not really that much problem if I can comprehend JP sub well (where in reality, comprehension varies). Then, I also wanted to see English / European names’ spelling.

I also watched this tragedy news during halloween night. I am probably not ready for such news media yet, if I were to be in Japan for any reason.

I watched the latest episode of Nihongo SWiTCH on advice on talking to strangers. Also, Noriko’s student’s about a place in Japan.

12 Likes

Main post

On November the 2nd I’ve:

• Listened to today’s NHK Easy News.
  • Nihongo con Teppei for beginners episodes 679-682
11 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 33, 2nd of November :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

This episode of Comprehensible Japanese was about fruits and colors.

Feeling very little motivation right now, the shorter days are beginning to take their toll.

12 Likes

November 2nd.

Today I listened to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei for beginners, and also the first lesson in a JapanesePod101 series called Top 400 Activities: Daily Routines in Japanese. Its another vocab building series so I’m going to use it for when I want to do some listening practise but can’t give it my full attention.

I also watched an episode of Madoka Magica, with Japanese subs.

(Home Post)

11 Likes

Life leading up to vacation got hectic but I’ve managed to listen everyday.
Set myself up for extended listening practice on vacation. Hasn’t happened yet :slightly_frowning_face: Visiting with the parents I suppose I should have expected all the chatting to supersede listening practice. Still, got nearly all parts of the challenge completed thanks to Nihongo con Teppei. Just missed the posting here part. Whoops

11 Likes

Watched the first episode of 俺の可愛いはもうすぐ消費期限 on Viki, without any subs. I definitely missed a few sentences here and there when they were talking business stuff. It’s mildly interesting. I suspect this is the type of show I’ll forget to finish. Then again, it’s kind of mindless so I could binge watch it.

The actor was supposed to be cast for being heartbreakingly cute, based on the plot. Not my type, but I love googling 何顔 after guessing for random actors. I felt like he was 砂糖顔 but internet denizens disagree with me and seem to think he is ソース顔 which I don’t see at all. Also several votes for ケチャップ顔 which I can maybe see. Ketchup seems like the category sugar boys get put in when they grow up.

I find the face categories fascinating :joy:

12 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

November 2nd:

Another day of Satori Reader and Terrace House. I actually did a bit better and catching what the commentators were saying. Still relied on the subtitles, but it was easier than the last two days, so I’ll take it.

Two of the people in the house said they wanted to become actors, and I was wondering if they ever ended up acting in anything. Yuya’s last credit on his Japanese Wikipedia page is from 2020; he was part of a variety show called 踊る!さんま御殿!!. I couldn’t find any info on Taishi’s career, though it looks like he as a YouTube channel.

OMG, I literally just watched a video that talked about the food face categories in Japan! :exploding_head: The explanations weren’t great, frankly, so I still don’t fully get each one. What a strange coincidence!

11 Likes

When I feel like that, I set really unambitious, small goals for myself, just to keep my hand in. Like ridiculously small, ‘listened to 1 n5 listing practice of 30 seconds’ was one. I’ve just had a few days like that, it’s been pouring with rain, the nights are longer etc

8 Likes

Yesterday, think it was 10 or so N5 listening practices. The audio quality on the site I’m using isn’t the best. But I’ve got a new textbook with audio arriving tomorrow I think, so looking forward to thank. Getting quite used to the format of the questions and also some of the ways in which they’re looking to check your knowledge, for example with similar sounding words, who is your おばあさん・おばさん or shall I meet you on よっか or ようか that sort of thing. Really struggle with questions about directions みぎ seems to be pronounced みに a lot…

10 Likes

Thanks for reminding me that I don’t have to set myself such high goals. I think I’ll do just as you suggested, because with the darker days seasonal depression rears its head. Better to not overdo it.

10 Likes

November 3 :film_strip::chart_with_upwards_trend:

Two episodes of Parasyte, one level up Migaku pitch trainer. No noticeable difference in my pitch perception lately. It’s good enough, but nowhere near infallible.

What is this thing and why is it the first time I even hear about it? :eyes:

A quick search came up with images like this:

I’m so confused…

11 Likes

Nov 3, Thu of Week 6 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

I watched half an episode of Yurucamp S2 EP.8. I felt it hard today.

I listened to 3 episodes of Learn Japanese with Noriko. 2 of them, I listened twice.

In particular, Youtube 10k talks about some other podcast’ers. Nonetheless, I listened to this one once. I feel that I chose podcast heavily based to whether I like the sound or not, like loudness and the pace. And of course, clarity. Indeed, I don’t like it too slow, but there are also other things. I need to find some male voice? (Though, I like Onomappu somewhat. SoraTheTroll is OK, but sometimes don’t like the topic.)

Other topics, probably most of them, have questions in-between, so answering is good. I am thinking of reading aloud, and inserting my answers in-between; otherwise I don’t like pausing. I have transcripts, because I subscribed to her Patreon. (Well, yesterday.)

I also like Nihongo SWiTCH’s Yamamoto Iku’s voice, so I subscribed to hers as well; although subscription isn’t needed to see the transcipts. (2 weeks ago, although I listened before that.)

I also listened to another one from Sayuri’s interviewing, where I can’t really catch, so I just gave up.

About listening improvement, I am considering some phonetics lessons. I also think that vocabulary lists, although more from reading, would help as well. Although my vocabulary list denotes various pitch accent patterns, I don’t quite hear things like 中高 or 尾高. (Although I understand there are pitch patterns vocabularies probably won’t escape, therefore more simplified notations.)

There is also Dogen’s interview linked to, so there are more interesting things than just pitch accents and some other phonetics explanations.

10 Likes

It’s basically a way of saying “oh he/she has this type of face” - collecting people together with similar features. Condiments seem to be only men, but animals seem to be unisex. I seem partial to ヘビ顏 for example, and I know 犬顔 and たぬき顔 are a thing.

Honestly I started to make sense of it by just going down the rabbit hole and reading people’s explanations of what each face type entailed as well as looking at attached famous people pictures as examples.

… And I still sometimes don’t quite get some of the categories :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 34, 3rd of November :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

In today’s episode of Comprehensible Japanese, we learn how to fold Origami busses. Very cute, though I keep defaulting to reading the subtitles. Maybe when I’m feeling more brave I’ll try listening without this crutch, but for now it helps me when I recognize Kanji and can infer meaning from that.

11 Likes

This was pointed out to me a year or two ago; I was chatting with my conversation partner at the time, and she said that my pronunciation was good, particularly with the Japanese “g” sound. I didn’t understand what she meant by that, and she explained that Japanese learners tend to make a hard g sound, when it’s actually more of a nasally g sound. I tried saying different words out loud just now, and the best way I can explain it is to say the g sound more in your throat, if that makes sense. I can feel the sound in my mouth more if it’s a hard g, but it moves more toward my throat when I try to pronounce it like I normally do in Japanese. There’s also a sort of “stuck” feeling in my mouth, maybe like if I ate something thick and stretchy? This is hard to explain…

Hope this was helpful! :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

yes, very helpful, I think I know what you mean,

ぎぎぎぎぎ

It’s similar to me going

TTTTTTTTT
just a little bit further back than T. But I need to move it further down, out of my mouth into my throat

:exploding_head:

2 Likes

Main post

On November the 3rd I’ve:

• Relistened to Nihongo con Teppei for beginners episodes 001-007.
11 Likes

November 3rd!

Listened to 2 more of the Top 400 Activities lessons from JapanesePod101 while I was writing out my diary. I noticed that each lesson contains 20 new words and there are 10 lessons, so I’m not convinced thats going to add up to 400 by the end! :laughing:

I also watched another episode of Madoka Magica with Japanese subs. I’m trying to listen without looking at the subs, then pausing if I didn’t understand so I can read the subtitles, and then checking hidden english translation of the sub if I’m still not sure what was said.

Got to admit… there is a lot of pausing and reading happening… :sweat_smile:
But I’m understanding more than I would have a few months ago, and thats good enough for me!

(Home Post)

12 Likes