(Levels 1-10) Fun or exciting instances of WaniKani kanji seen in media

Hello!

I thought it would be fun to start a thread where people can post some of the “beginner” kanji they have learned on WaniKani and then seen it in the wild! WaniKani teaches kanji in quite the unconventional order so it can be such a joy when you actually do see some of the “weirder”/less used/I’m-never-going-to-need-this kanji in media. It’s even better if you can include the whole sentence so we can have a whole collection of example sentences for level 1-10 kanji :slight_smile:

For example I tried watching Little Witch Academia with Japanese subtitles and I’d never heard someone say 宝物 before, only 大切な物 regarding something precious to them. 宝 is learned on level 4 and 物 on level 9. The full sentence was “あたしの宝物。” regarding a precious collectible card that the character owned. (I’d post a screenshot if Netflix would let me take one :upside_down_face:)

Or for One Piece fans - apparently 麦わら or wheat/barley etc is used for strawhat! Found it while trying to read an old 少年ジャンプ from 2009. The full sentence was:
おめエだってんじゃねエか “麦わらのルフィ”…!

Both of my examples ended up being from Japanese anime/manga, but there aren’t any rules. The kanji can be from a book, a movie, a drama, song, podcast, anime etc as long as there’s a transcript. This way you can share the joy of seeing these kanji with others and help people see uses of this kanji in media.

I’d also like to add that a lot of people have a different background in Japanese when they join WaniKani so something that might be obvious or common for you might be new and novel for others and vice versa. As such there really isn’t a guideline saying which kanji can be posted here or not. It’s fine to post a sentence with any kanji if you found joy from seeing it in the media for the first time! :slight_smile:

Looking forward to all the different level 1-10 kanji everybody has spotted in the wild! :cherry_blossom:

7 Likes