Level 60 in 1721 days aka doing WaniKani the slacker way

Slow and steady wins the race :slight_smile: as long as you do a little every day, the progress will pile up eventually!

Not sure what to say about that, except 怖い!

2 Likes

There was a fake Morgan Freeman quote years ago about keeping your loved ones close because they will be an important source of protein during the apocalypse. It was all over chalk boards in coffee shops and stuff. I saw it in several cities for a couple of years.

Maybe I need to qualify it more. In my day we didn’t have the internet. We had coffee shops where we could get together, share news, discuss treason, etc. Sometimes we could keep our flintlocks and swords. Sometimes we had to leave them at the door. They had chalk boards where we could post interesting ideas like fake Morgan Freeman quotes for future visitors.

1 Like

It’s my bad for being an uncultured swine. I’m often behind on new memes and there’s plenty of pop culture reference I’m not getting. Sounds like a funny meme, I’m sorry I missed it and made you explain it. <m(__)m>

I don’t think so. Maybe there were not direct trade routes between our regions.

1 Like

:thinking: That didn’t cross my mind. You may be right.

1 Like

Kudos to you for not giving up! I’m in my early 20’s, I can’t even imagine how much harder it will be in the coming decades to keep learning new things.

1 Like

Thanks. This made me feel so much better about taking five years… I’m still nowhere near level 60, but still.

Edit: I checked and it’s been four and a half years yesterday.

5 Likes

man congrats
this gives me hope,
personally i avoided lifetime payment and took the monthly payments, so my motivation can also come from a desire to not just waste money XD I know I’m gonna need that
not far yet but I’ll get there too owo

2 Likes

My dear Tsundere Durtle jneapan, you have awoken me from my slumber.
I am flattered that you remember such a distant point in time… But no need for apologies. We are both different people now, I’m sure. I miss those times… Those connections. @mayucchi, @Gravityrainbow, that bear dude who’s name must not be mentioned(ダメ)… and of course, the legendary @Moguri
Anyway, nostalgia aside, congratulations on your accomplishment.

4 Likes

It’s funny that the only one of those people that I recognize is ダメ

2 Likes

I remember @Apraxas and @mayucchi. They were regulars back in the day. I’m getting nostalgic all over again.

Oops

Thanks! Hope things are going well for you!

1 Like

He’s still on every now and then, actually. I like him

1 Like

I’m still here!

“The slacker way” is what brought me here. If you can do it… One day I’ll do it too… ; D

4 Likes

Hey! If I can do it, anyone can :muscle:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t mind the thread closing, if it means that I get to make a new one when I get to 60 again :smiley:

As for translating, I don’t really enjoy the bureaucracy of the whole process, in my own country so I might just skip it.

2 Likes

Yeah, something like that. I’m not sure if these are country specific or I can get an international thing as well. In Romania you also get specific license for different fields. For example you can get licensed to translated literature, but not medical science, there’s different ones for different domains, and they’re all different exams. At the exams you’re not allowed to bring anything other than a paper dictionary (which tbh who even uses anymore). It’s just too much effort that I’m not sure is worth it.

1 Like

I just hit level 20 after 884 days. I’ve come back from 1000 to 2000 reviews four times now. I keep quitting, and then I keep quitting quitting. I’m happy to see there are others out there like me. By the way my longest level was 405 days, 21 hours.

2 Likes

It can be a struggle. What helped me was making a schedule of 3 review sessions per day, that way the workload never rises to critical levels. Keep up the good work! :+1:

2 Likes

The importance of consistency cannot be overstated. I’ve been able to make at least two a day for the past two weeks and I feel like things are a bit more under control. I’m still getting about 150 reviews a day right now even without lessons but things are starting to make their way over to master, although I do have a recalcitrant bunch that keeps going back and forth between apprentice and guru. I’m starting to add five to ten lessons per day as well, but I don’t want to go full bore and get drowned again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.