Leech Squashing

怒る is not make angry, just an aside.

Also, 怒れる exists, it’s the potential form of 怒る, but it doesn’t appear on WK.

2 Likes

Big problem with “Comprehensive - As a whole - Synthesis” here. Any advice on this?

Another leech, 師(師匠) and 帥(元帥)

Another one, 倒す、転ぶ - Doesn’t look or sound similar at all, but I confused the meanings.

Indeed, I can still Google 怒れる.

1 Like

All my leeches are transitive vs. intransitive verbs… Normally they differ from each other by the kanji being linked to the U-syllable by an A or E-syllable, I guess, but I always forget the pattern for that. If you put the transitive version always, WaniKani will consider it, but I want to learn, so, if I notice I can’t tell if it’s transtive or intransitive, I get it wrong on purpose.
Oh, and these sons of bitches that come in pairs: 午 and 牛; 矢 and 失; 平 and 半. They are all very similar among themselves, don’t you think? I actually know them looking at them right now, but I like to do reviews in a rush, so not always my brain correctly evaluates (?) it.
Also, these:曲 and 由. I don’t always recall the mnemonic. At some point, I just look at the kanji and know what it means, despite having no memory at all of the mnemonic for it. I think that’s the same for everyone, right? Anyway, if I were to remember to think about twenty mouths, then it be easy to differ these two, but I don’t… There is also the fact that I like to rush through my reviews.

1 Like

午 is noon because it doesn’t have a “horn” sticking out like cow 牛
矢 is arrow because there’s a straight arrow across the top unlike fault 失
平 is flat because it’s flat across the top unlike 半 which indicates 2 halves

I’ve got all of these pairs wrong in the past many times before I started using the above

Similarly for 曲 and 由. The former has more vertical “bar lines” like a sheet of music. Reason has a single vertical line ie one reason.

Hope this helps.

10 Likes

On Kanjidamage they use exactly that.

In 申 the vertical line goes above and below the rice paddy - heaven and hell - meaning god/say humbly. In 由 the line goes above - workers in the field reaching up for freedom/a reason

2 Likes

One more to report…

揚げる、掲げる

I thought Mamiさん read it wrong… (It was in a topic’s name.)

The meanings are quite similar to me too.

Thanks a bunch! I’ll see if I can keep that in mind

1 Like

速い and 遠い. This almost knocks me off every time.

Also, 機会 and 機械.

2 Likes

I’ve missed burning 速い twice. I am literally the worst at this.

EDIT: Didn’t you go 60 like, over a week ago? :smiley: Oh hey, I’m level 58 but it says 57…aaaaaa

1 Like

My top leech, which I’ve gotten wrong a whopping 33 times…

八日

Level 2.

8 Likes

That one came back to haunt me in my Anki deck – all the other days of the week have a next review of like mid-2020 at this point but that one…

2 Likes

wow, I just noticed the following stats for:

抑止

216 total attempts… and yet I missed a 4hr apprentice review on it just now. I guess my streak of 84 straight correct reading answers is something, anyway…

2 Likes

包み つつみ parcel
鼓 つづみ hand drum

Also, any りょう or りゅう, and to a lesser extent, きょう and きゅう.

2 Likes

正直 is my archnemesis. I swear to god I’m always so tempted to cheat by looking it up every time I come across that word in review.

But… you know, that’d not be 正直 of me after all… :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

歌唱 and 唱歌
and 合唱

I completely ignored the Kanji order…

1 Like

予定 - plan
予想 - expectation
想定 - hypothesis

:sob:

7 Likes

I always get the “hypothesis” and “expectation” ones mixed up… :cry:

1 Like

定 signals intent.

4 Likes

I’ve found I’ve often been answering 十月 as December instead of October unless I’m concentrating, which is particularly embarrassing since I was born in October.

5 Likes

The months September through December are weird in English. They contain latin numbers which aren’t correct.

September: comes from Septem (7), but is 9th month
October: comes from Octo (8), but is 10th month
November: comes from Novem (9), but is 11th month
December: comes from Decem (10), but is 12th month

10 Likes