Kanji on mobile devices

This is not a problem on Sony phones, for obvious reasons!

Wait…It’s not? I’m certain my phone shows the Chinese versions though… What am I missing on my Sony phone? Help!

Well at least on both my previous two Sony phones the characters were the Japanese versions, right out of the box without having to do anything.

1 Like

Huh really? And your phone isn’t set to Japanese language system either?

This is the Chinese version of 直す, isn’t it?

…I feel so attacked right now ( ಠ_ಠ ) I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS, SONY!!

3 Likes

Well that’s strange. I thought it was the same for everyone. I didn’t even change languages or anything.

Maybe it has something to do with how new/old the phone is? Orrr it’s a localisation thing? Really strange…
It does show the correct version if I set my phone to Japanese though, so that’s something at least. Still pretty weird.

I haven’t changed anything and I’ve always seen this:

wait a sec…
WHY?!?!?

Edit: In firefox it’s fine though…

1 Like

Ah the mysteries of technology…

I just noticed…my browser shows the Chinese version, too…whyyy orz

This chromeapp fixed it. There may be a better way, probably…

1 Like

Yay, that’s something though! As long as it works!

I’m using Edge though, because my computer profoundly hates Firefox and chrome…haaaah…oh well…

Edge…

I haven’t used it. I just hate IE too much to try it.

4 Likes

I don’t use it, but Edge is fine, tbh.

IE is horrible, no doubt. Sadly, Edge is a lot faster than Chrome/Firefox on my computer…I mostly like it. It doesn’t have nice extensions buuut since I can still use most of the WaniKani scripts I don’t really mind.

When your desktop and phone both show Kanji correctly

(I didn’t mean to quote you)

4 Likes

I’m not jealous at all…no…not at all…

話す 聞く 書く 読む 言う

私が分かりません。

Is it only on some words/kanji or something? I have galaxy s6 and I have japanese keyboard on my phone. And as I type, the correct kanji seem to be coming up. Or is this a problem with certain apps? I didn’t even know this was an issue until I saw this thread.

It’s only a couple of characters. For some of them, there is a difference between the chinese and japanese versions. For instance the kanji 骨. The little box in the top middle should be on the right hand side. If you are writing in chinese, it should be on the left hand side.

^What @Rincewind said.

Here is a small comparison. There are more of them, but it gives you an idea. The difference isn’t huge but it’s there.

1 Like