Kanji on mobile devices

If you want to read up a little more about it, you can check out this wiki page: Han unification - Wikipedia

It also gives you examples.

I just happened to be reading this on my seldom used Windows machine and noticed that it was wrong in Chrome. It’s a fairly easy fix, though.

• Settings
  • Show advanced options
  • Languages → Language and input settings button
  • Add Japanese

You don’t need to actually use it, but it seems to give the Japanese version of the font precedence. Just a refresh of the page was enough for the characters to show correctly.

Not totally sure how you’d handle it if you want both to work, though. /shrug

3 Likes

I didn’t know there was a difference between the writing of the Japanese and Chinese kanji. What exactly is the difference?

Does Google’s mobile IME fix this?

THANK you. I tried to fix this in the past on Chrome and couldn’t figure it out. You are a good man.

Read the page linked to two posts above yours. For some characters there are small differences in the way your write them depending on what language you are using. And no, your IME won’t fix anything.

Thanks for this better fix.

Rooted phone for other reasons. Thought I had installed Japanese fonts, but that was old phone. Might as well give current phone a try. (Old phone is the same, but it broke. Kanji Fix doesn’t work on it. Have to do it the hard way)
Done. Funny thing, Kanji Fix still tells me I still have Chinese characters installed, but the comparison photos of ‘your font looks like this’ and ‘this is how it should look’ are the same (minus tiny differences from being different fonts)

It worked fine for me on my iPhone, but it was wrong in Chrome. Thanks for this suggestion.

If only app and web devs would mark the intended language of text, OSs and browsers would display the right kanji!

Re: rooting…
I’ve been debating installing custom firmware on my Galaxy Tab Pro, which is no longer receiving updates. But I don’t want to lose any functionality, and there are no custom ROMs that don’t lose something. (I realize that’s not the same as rooting, but rooting is a required first step.)

You can always GAIN more functionality. If you believe.

And anything is better than Samsung stock…

Wait… Remember Honeycomb?..

I have an ?easier way. BTW, what is the difference between easier way and other way?

1. Web browsing
  • Firefox
  1. System fonts
  • Downloaded from Samsung Store “モトヤLベーチ3”
  1. AnkiDroid
  • Custom font in /AnkiDroid/fonts/
    • Hirangino Sans.ttc
    • YuKyokasho.ttc
    • Of course, KanjiStrokeOrders.ttf
    • NotoSansJP would be a nice and truly free alternative, perhaps.

Otherwise uncorrected, I just deal with it, because I don’t want to root.

I don’t like Han unification, because the font is usually not beautiful. I like Japanese style more.

Amongst what bugs me the most are:-

Also, 器 (1 stroke difference)

I meant losing things like camera autofocus, hdmi output, certain graphics acceleration modes, etc. These are the harsh realities of many custom ROMs.

Well… I was being a smart aleck. A lot really depends on how much you’re willing to tweak yourself. :sweat_smile:

Oh, I always thought it was just a writing variation… I am not smart. I’m learning Chinese as well, so it does me no good to switch to one or the other…

Fixed that for you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.