Jitai (字体): The font randomizer that fits

Hi, is there a way to usi jitai in other areas of wanikani like the kanji summary or the kanji single page?

thank you.

Is it possible to add a sort of google fonts support into this? It would actually be kinda nice.

If you mean adding custom fonts downloaded from google fonts, that has already been implemented.

I mean using a link from Google fonts instead of downloading and installing it into your system. Would make it much more portable.

2 Likes

That is IMO a very non-standard way of writing 可. I can’t find it even in this extended list of Ryakuji:

http://pbbs.web.fc2.com/etc/ryakuji.htm

It is standard 草書 for 可

However 許 on the same font is more between 行書 and 楷書、 making an unusual mix.
I would have recognized 可 immediately if 許 had been in herb style too, but the style mix makes it a bit more surprising

2 Likes

I am not entirely sure how to add additional fonts to this userscript. I looked in the “edit” thing with TM but it is beyond me. Is there a post somewhere in this thread explaining step by step what to do for more fonts?

when you download the rar file with dozens of fonts to install, there is a txt file you can just copy paste in the script where shows:

// Add your fonts here!

thats all.

2 Likes

Ah… I think I see now. Took me a moment to put 2 and 2 together. After figuring it out now, this is a very, very useful script

1 Like

Guyss, I really wanted to install Jitai, but every time I click on “Install”, it redirects me to “https://openuserjs.org/install/obskyr/Jitai.user.js#bypass=true” and it doesn’t let me enter the page. Google Chrome says that the page might have been moved to another link or temporarily unavailable (“ERR_INVALID_RESPONSE”).
What should I do? :sob:

I’m trying to install the Google Drive fonts that @conquerator2 shared, which I’m guessing is what you’re referring to. Is it possible to get all of the fonts together in one package that you can use to install them all to your computer at once, or do I have to just download each .otf/.ttf file and install them individually? I don’t see any .rar file in the Google Drive.

1 Like

They need to be installed one by one unfortunately :frowning:
However, once you’ve done so, the rest of the process is just copying or running the script for Tampermonkey, so that part is streamlined for you :slight_smile:

Similar issue with Firefox on MacOS.
It redirects to https://openuserjs.org/install/obskyr/Jitai.user.js#bypass=true but the page is blank and nothing gets installed unfortunately.

1 Like

Can anyone help me troubleshoot installing fonts to Jitai on Mac OS? After looking over the code, I noticed that it seemingly comes with a small list of Japanese fonts already included in the script (under the “Other Japanese fonts people use” comment.) I’m assuming this means that I don’t have to add those font names to the “Add your fonts here!” section of the code and that all I need to do is find and install the font and Jitai will be able to use it. So I found a few of these on the Google Drive collection (let’s use ArmedBanana and aquafont as examples) and installed them to my computer by downloading the .otf/.ttf file and double clicking it to install the font to my computer. I even checked the font name in my list of installed fonts and made sure it matched how the font’s name was written in the script’s code. I’m assuming this is all I had to do (I even restarted my browser in case that was required for it to see the newly installed fonts), but when I opened WK in Safari to test it out, I’m still only getting the default OS X fonts. Doing a quick test by printing the existingFonts array to the console shows that fonts I supposedly installed like ArmedBanana, aquafont, and some others aren’t registering as existing fonts. I just don’t know why.

@conquerator2 Sorry to bother you again, but maybe you could give me some pointers?

Maybe close and restart your browser? This solved a similar problem with Chrome for me. The browser doesn’t seem to autodetect new fonts upon installation unless it is restarted.

I already did that, I mentioned so in my previous post. But that didn’t seem to help.

i just tested it (with firefox on osx), and it seemed to only work once i turned script compatibility off. if you recently turned script compatibility on, it might be that?

I did recently turn on script compatibility after WK nagged me that reviews might not work correctly with it turned off. I’ll give that a try once I get the chance.

I wish there was a way to install in one single setup.

I just formatted my pc to install win 11 and I am lazy to do all over again for each ttf file :sweat_smile:

But I will do it eventually. Such great script.

Turned script compatibility off, that didn’t resolve the issue. I’m still only getting default OS X fonts, and now my reviews are being a bit more buggy. I might want to keep compatibility on.

Any other ideas?