Jitai (字体): The font randomizer that fits

humm… are the fonts properly installed/available in other apps? (e.g. pages?)

are they in the correct format in the jitai stript?

have you tried in a different browser? Safari is sometimes weird…

I’m able to see and use the fonts in other apps like Notes and Pages, so I’m convinced the fonts are installed correctly on my computer.

What do you mean by “correct format”? How would I check that?

Haven’t tried using a different browser yet. I’m trying to make it work with Safari since it’s the browser I use for everything else. But if the problem is just Safari being a brat, then I’ll try Firefox instead.

I’m having the exact same issue with Firefox on my Mac. So I guess I can’t try it with that browser, at least for now. I’m currently trying to figure out whether the issue I’m having with the script is caused by Safari.

*I deleted my last post because I accidentally replied to the wrong person. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I managed to install it via the github link (on tampermonkey). From the github page, click on “raw” at the top of the script, and tampermonkey seems to recognize that it’s one of its scripts. It offers to install it. Haven’t tried further yet.

2 Likes

It worked!! :partying_face:
Thank you so much

Hi! I really want to download this but when I click the OpenUserJS link and click install I get an error. I have Tampermonkey and am using Chrome. The error is:

Access to openuserjs.org was denied
You don’t have authorization to view this page.
HTTP ERROR 403

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Like

Maybe try as @chbug said. It worked for me on Firefox + MacOS

I managed to install it via the github link (on tampermonkey). From the github page, click on “raw” at the top of the script, and tampermonkey seems to recognize that it’s one of its scripts. It offers to install it. Haven’t tried further yet.

2 Likes

Sometimes the font appears as a quite strange one – It doesn’t appear in my Font Book, and I’ve deleted the Banana one from the script code.
Do you guys think it might be one of my custom fonts that don’t work well with Jitai? I think it might be the Chikara Dzuyoku distorted somehow.

1 Like

did the url for the script change? After clicking ‘install’ the page is blank.

Nagurigaki Crayon maybe?

1 Like

Wow! Good catch! It was this one

1 Like

OpenUserJS seems to be a bit on the frizz… I’ve updated the post with an alternate link that’ll work! Thanks for the reports, y’all.

3 Likes

It’s working now! Thank you for your service :pray:

I love this script and use it all the time but there is one HUGE problem.

In short, some words have the wave dash character in them like 〜間 and many of the supported fonts simply do not contain this character. It gets replaced by a blank space, which makes it indistinguishable from 間 which is pronounced totally differently. This has cost me a lot of wrong answers, to the point where I had to start removing fonts and even considering disabling the plugin altogether. It’d be really nice if there were a way to detect these wave dashes and render them in the original font, or at least convert them to another character that’s better supported by the available fonts.

4 Likes

I don’t think this is a problem with the supported fonts, as I’ve been using this script for months now without any issue. That said, over the last three days things…fritz-y things have been happening. Sometimes with vocab with two kanji in, one won’t display unless I hover over it with my mouse, thus reverting it back to WK standard font. I don’t know why this has started happening, there have been no changes on my end, and the fact that @chiaracoetzee is also having issues around the same time, suggests its maybe a compatibility issue with WK?

I’ve included screenshots of what’s been happening:

2 Likes

I have had the same thing happen, sometimes it is intrusive, other times I somehow know what is supposed to be and answer correctly.

I just had this come up :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

i had it with tombstone

i nearly accused this script but did not lol.

I have this happen with radicals all the time - I guess the script selects a font which doesn’t have the radical in and it just shows up blank. The script really needs to either not change radicals or make sure the font includes it, otherwise 50%+ of radicals show up blank!

1 Like

it depends on what fonts you use. maybe remove some with less characters?