Japanese commentary youtube channels (or video essay channels)?

I’ve been having a hard time finding Japanese YouTube channels with content that interests me. On English speaking YouTube my favorite channels’ content often feature commentary on social goings-on, media, pop culture, internet phenomena (people like D’Angelo Wallace, Jarvis Johnson) or video essays (like Jenny Nicholson, Lindsay Ellis, Big Joel). Are there Japanese channels that make videos like these?

2 Likes

The only one I know is this one here:

Unfortunately, they’re doing the videos in this stupid high-pitched, fast voice that seems to be ultra popular in Japan…

edit: just to clarify, I meant ads like this one here:

3 Likes

I heard Japanese Youtube is pretty poor compared to the breadth of content we have in the english speaking YT.

But please keep us updated if you find anything worthwhile.

2 Likes

This is pretty cool, I just subscribed :smiley:

Just checked it out. It’s not exactly what OP is looking for but I thought it’s pretty interesting nevertheless.

By the way, I didn’t get what you mean by the stupid high pitched voice. It sounded like professional voice acting common in anime. But then again, I like watching vtubers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Common anime voice acting is exactly what he means by “stupid hight pitched voice” :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, the few videos I checked out don’t seem particularly fast or high pitched. It’s at least better than the artificial voices that get used a lot in Japanese videos.

I’ll keep an eye out for something that fits the OP’s description though.

For now, my best advice would be to search for topics you want to hear people discuss and see what’s out there. Most of what you find will be one-time videos, but you might eventually find a channel you like.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I was actually subscribed to that channel for a year or so. Their videos can be interesting, and they can be good listening practice. It’s a different vibe from the kind of thing I’m going for though

1 Like

Here’s one channel that looks suitable:

Bright Side is… garbage in English. I would assume they just translate their garbage into other languages as well.

In any case, they don’t make video essays.

2 Likes

Oh, didn’t know there’s an English equivalent channel! Thanks for the heads-up though!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.