Jaden Yuki VS Yugi Muto Transcript(Part 1) - 100% Done

Here I am back with another challenge, this time one that is way easier(in case you didn’t see the old one, I recommend you check it here: Translating Pokemon Black (Until First Gym) - 100% Done)

This time I decided to translate an episode (just part 1 of it) or rather a very famous battle in the Yu-Gi-Oh series (Judai Yuki VS Yugi Muto). I am so happy to be able to understand even small parts here and there.

Actually, it’s not really translating but rather making a transcript. That way I can practice Japanese without hating myself again haha. The episode has already been translated years ago, I will use that to help myself with the transcript.

Anyway, this project isn’t as hardcore as the other one so I don’t think I need to say more about it, let’s dive in!

In case you want to follow with the video, here is the YouTube link:
Part 1 // - YouTube

PS: Same rules as my last topic

THE TRANSCRIPT

遊城十代(Yuki Judai): 間違い無い。 今俺の目の前にいるのは歴代最強のデッキを持つ遊戯さん。There’s no mistaking it. The one standing before me is truly Yugi-san, who holds the strongest spiritual deck.

ユベル(Yuberu): ビビったか。Are you scared?

十代(Judai): 冗談だろう。 最強のデッキ。最強のデュエリスト。これで燃えて来なけりゃ俺は偽物のデュエリストだぜ。これが俺に取っての本当の卒業のデュエルだ。

You’re joking, right? The strongest fighting spirit…The strongest duelist…Only a fake duelist would wilt against it!

遊戯(Yugi)/十代(Judai): デュエル!Duel!

十代: 俺のターン!ドロー!マジックカード融合!手札のバーストレディとフェザーマンを融合!現われろ!エレメンタルヒーローフレールム・ウィングマン。カード一枚伏せる。ターンエンド。

My turn! Draw! The magic card Fusion! I fuse Burst Lady and Featherman from my hand! Show Yourself! Elemental Hero Flame Wingman! I set a card face-down. Turn end.

武藤遊戯(Muto Yugi): エレメンタルヒーロー初めて見るカードだ。

That’s the first time I ever saw a card called “Elemental Hero”!

十代: 遊戯さん、これが俺のエレメンタルヒーローデッキさ。

Yugi-san, this is my elemental hero deck.

遊戯(Yugi): エレメンタルヒーロー••••••そんなデッキを使うデュエリストが居たなんて。僕のターン!ドロー!僕はホーリー・エルフを守備表示で召喚。

そして、速攻魔法ディメンション・マジック!フィールドに魔法使い族がある時、モンスター一体を生贄に捧げ手札から新たな魔法使い族モンスターを特殊召喚する!

僕はホーリー・エルフを生贄に捧げ、現われろ!ブラック・マジシャン!

Elemental Hero…To face a duelist playing such a deck…My turn! Draw! I summon Holy Elf in defense mode.

And the quick play magic Dimension Magic! When I have a Spellcaster-type monster on the field, I can sacrifice the monster in order to special summon a new spellcaster-type monster from my hand.

I sacrifice Holy Elf! Show yourself! Black Magician!

十代: これは本物ブラック・マジシャン?!鳥肌だったぜ!

This is the real Black Magician?! I’m totally pumped!

遊戯: ディメンション・マジックの効果発動!フィールドのモンスターを一体を破壊する!

I activate the effect of Dimension Magic! I destroy 1 monster on the field!

十代: フレーム・ウィングマン!

Flame Wingman!

ユベル: ばか!ブラック・マジシャンに見とれて場合か!

Idiot! This isn’t the time to be admiring Black Magician!

十代: 分かってるよ!

I know!

遊戯: まだ僕の攻撃を残っている!ブラック・マジシャン!ダイレクトアタックだ!ブラック・マジック!

My attack’s far from done! Black Magician! Direct attack! Black Magic.

十代: トラップ発動!攻撃の無力化!危ねえ!

Trap activate! Attack nullification! That was close!

遊戯: カード二枚伏せる。ターンエンド。遣るね、十代君!僕二段攻撃凌ぎ来きった!

I set 2 cards. Turn end. You’re pretty good, Judai-Kun. Being able to dodge my attack like that!

十代: すごい••••••見た目の優しさとは裏腹に、一気呵成に攻め手くる。

攻撃の無力化無ければ、大ダメージを受けて居た。

内に閉めた投資。揺るがない自信。矢張りこの人は半端じゃなく強い!

俺のターン!ドロー!エレメンタルヒーローバブルマンを守備表示で召喚!バブルマンの効果発動!召喚に成功し、自分のフィールドに他のカードが無い時、デッキから二枚カードをドローできる。カードを三枚セットし、ターンエンド!

Amazing…It’s just the second turn, yet he’s ruthlessly assaulting.

If it hadn’t been for Attack Nullification, I would have received a great deal of damage.

Self-confidence that doesn’t shake…Huge fighting spirit…Like I thought, he’s just half strong but truly strong!

My turn! Draw! I summon Elemental Hero Bubbleman in defense mode! I activate Bubbleman’s effect! When I summon him to the field successfully and he’s the only monster on my field, I can draw 2 cards from my deck. I set 3 cards and end my turn!

遊戯: 行くよ!僕のターン!ドロー!僕は翻弄するのエルフの剣士を召喚!そして、マジックカードサウザンドナイフ!自分のフィールドにブラック・マジシャンがいるとき、相手モンスター一体はかいする!

よし!これで十代君のモンスターを亡くなった!今だ!ブラック・マジシャン!十代君にディレクトアタック!

Here I go! My turn! Draw! I summon Meddling Elf Swordsman! And the magic card Thousand Knives! When I have Black Magician on the field, it can destroy a monster of the opponent’s!

Alright! Now all your monsters are gone! Now’s your change, Black Magician! Direct attack Judai-Kun!

十代: トラップ発動!ヒーロー見参!相手が攻撃して来た時、自分の手札からランダムカードを選び、それがモンスターだった時に召喚する。俺の手札だ一枚!現われろ!エレメンタルヒーローネオス!

Trap activate! A Hero Emerges! When the opponent attacks, they must choose a card from my hand at random, and if it’s a monster I can summon it! I have 1 card in my hand! Show yourself! Elemental hero Neos!

遊戯: どうやらそれが、君のデッキのエース見たいだね。

That seems to be your deck’s ace.

十代: 遊戯さん、あなたのデッキの象徴ブラック・マジシャンなら、俺のデッキの象徴、それがエレメンタルヒーローネオス!遊戯さん!勝負をまだこれからだ!

Yugi-san, if the symbol of your deck is Black Magician, the symbol of my deck is Elemental Hero Neos!

遊戯: 来い!十代君!

Come! Judai-Kun!

4 Likes

間違いない, not いない.

I also hear れいきだい. Maybe it’s an anime-specific word? I know nothing about Yu-Gi-Oh, so I can’t really help except confirm what you’re hearing.
But, since it’s translated as spiritual deck, it’s probably 霊気 meaning "mysterious presence; mysterious atmosphere; aura of mystery​”? But I have no idea what the だい could be.

It’s 卒業デュエル. The subtitles also say graduation (卒業) duel.

It does sound like a long え sound, but I wonder if it might be 歴代最強, which appears to mean something like “the strongest in history”.

For comparison, see 歴代最高.

What, so you’re watching the same Yu-Gi-Oh scene over and over again, trying to pick up the words? What sort of person wouOh who am I kidding

I was actually confused. I thought it was “Machiga” and “Inai” as いない(past tense of いる) but I found that 間違い means “mistake” so I put both. I just discovered that it’s 間違い無い for the whole thing.

They do have Yu-Gi-Oh specific words but this isn’t one of them. I don’t even think it’s an anime specific one. I think what I put at the beginning is the right version but they just extend the "れ” to make it sound better…maybe.

Because 歴代 means successive generations/emperors so maybe it’s something like 歴代最強"the deck that has been the strongest for successive generations…" but the translator chose “spiritual” instead.

@Kutsushokunin I don’t think it’s 歴代最高 even though it makes sense because I can hear the “kyou” so it’s probably 最強. I might be wrong.

I mistyped with my IME…thanks for pointing it out. I don’t even know what 説業 means lol.

Yeah, this time I am kind of practicing my listening skills. Your excel sheet looks very interesting haha.

2 Likes

I think it is. I googled “れいきだい 遊戯王” and a page titled 遊戯王の歴代最強キャラクター came up near the top :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh yes, I agree it’s definitely きょう; I’m just using 歴代最高 to illustrate 歴代最<X>, since I couldn’t find example sentences for 歴代最強 and the translation of 歴代 (“successive generations; successive emperors”) isn’t very helpful.

After looking a bit further, I did find a page that gives useful translated sentence for 歴代最強:

主人公の父。かつてセイロス騎士団で団長を務め、歴代最強の騎士とまで謳われた熟練の戦士。

Jeralt play the role of the protagonist’s father, but is also a veteran knight. He previously served as the head knight for the Church of Seiros, and was considered to be the strongest knight ever.

Yup, I’ve been finding it quite useful for that, as well, although I’ve been using it more for vocabulary practice (not very efficient, but it keeps things interesting).

Yu-Gi-Oh is interesting because there are a lot of repeated terms (モンスター効果、発動!手札から、魔法カードの強欲な壺、発動!二枚のモンスターを捧げる、そして生け贄に召喚!), and different forms of media (manga, anime, Duel Links and the card game itself) to reinforce the common vocabulary.

Plus, a lot of the cards have interesting names even in English:
Waboku, Raigeki, Hinotama, Suijin, Kazejin, Sangan, Riryoku, Umi, Gishki, Gyakutenno Megami, etc.

Thanks a lot for the great answer, I guess 歴代最強 means something like “the strongest in history” and it should be simply memorized as it’s more of a Japanese word so no real English translation for it.

1 Like

I’ve been waist-deep in the japanese Yu-Gi-Oh! fandom for a while and I see 歴代 used quite often. I always figured it referred to the main characters “passing the baton” as the No.1 duelist(aka the titular King of Games) to the protagonist of the next series, since the show soft-reboots itself every few years.
I’ve seen it used the same way with regards to Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, which similarly changes MCs regularly.

2 Likes

Looking a bit, 歴代デュエリスト seems to be used somewhat similarly to the phrase “legendary Duelist”, or maybe “the greatest duelist(s) of all time”.

Consider this video:

The narrator says something like:
歴代のエースモンスターを使いこなせ!

(Take control of / Master / Manage) ace monsters of 歴代!

Here, 歴代 may be acting as a の adjective (“the legendary ace monsters”), or perhaps they mean “the ace monsters of the legendaries”.

The description mentions:

140名以上の歴代デュエリストが登場!
meaning

More than 100 歴代 duelists take the stage!

This matches up nicely with the number of legendary/iconic duelists mentioned on the English promo page.

Comparing the English and Japanese versions of the site, you find these two banners:

So, yup, I think we’re on the right track here with 歴代 :slight_smile:

Interestingly, I think I acquired the word 歴史 via Yu-Gi-Oh. I knew the word before that, but it didn’t roll off my tongue readily; I kept saying things like れしき and れいきじ.
However, after a season or two of that intro, there’s no way I’ll ever forget ゲームの歴史.

1 Like

Okay I finally finished the first part. I will stop here for the moment because I realized I still have trouble understanding what the characters were saying so I need to go back to studying for a while haha.

I have one or two parts where I didn’t understand anything so feel free to help me with that.

Nonetheless, it was cool and it felt like I was making a light novel(even though I never read those).

@Kutsushokunin It’s crazy how a whole conversation started because of one Kanji. That’s why I also like studying with game/anime content, it always has weird/special vocabulary that isn’t used often.

Thanks for the awesome explanations, I think you are on your way to do a thesis about 歴代最強 haha.

@Oddsson Glad to see someone else who’s interested in Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh! :smiley:

1 Like

I noticed this bit:

モンスタ ー一体を生贄に捧げnot sure of the translation 手札から新たが魔法使い族モンスターを特殊召喚する!

Not sure how to interpret that, but both the Japanese and the translation look good, except that I think (don’t have headphones handy) that 新たが should be 新たな.

一体 - one being/body
生け贄 - tribute
捧げ(る) - to sacrifice

モンスター(を)一体生け贄に捧げ…
“I tribute one monster, and…”

手札 - hand (of cards)
新た - new
魔法使い族 - Spellcaster-type
特殊召喚 - Special Summon

…手札から新たな魔法使い族モンスターを特殊召喚する!
“… Special Summon a new Spellcaster-type monster from my hand!”

1 Like

The parts that I struggle with are in bold, I should have been more clear about it, my bad.

So this part is fine because I found the Kanji and it seems correct grammatically. Also, nothing is in bold. However, you are right about the 新たな. It’s an adjective, it makes no sense to put a が after it especially that it’s meant for the spellcaster.

Is it normal that I find 生贄 on Jisho and not 生け贄? Like the け is included in the 生.

Moreover, is it just me or I hear the を after 一体 and not before it?

This was the most difficult part for me. I couldn’t transcript(with Kanji, not even sure of the Kana) anything haha, I would be grateful if you could help me with this. It’s the only part left.

The translation is : Amazing…It’s just the second turn, yet he’s ruthlessly assaulting.

Listening more closely, I agree. I actually didn’t hear any を at all at first, which is why I put it in parentheses.

It’s there, under “Other forms” :slight_smile:

Wikipedia uses 生贄 as the title of the article, but notes 「生け贄とも」 (“a.k.a. 生け贄”). I tend to use 生け贄 simply because that’s what is used in Yu-Gi-Oh most of the time (though I did notice some cards with 生贄, too).

1 Like

I think it’s “見た目の優しさとは裏腹に、一気呵成に攻め手くる”

“Contrary to his kind appearance, his offence is unrelenting” or something like that(not perfect translation, but the best I could think of on short notice)

2 Likes

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for.

You can never get the exact meaning in Japanese anyway, that’s what I learned. You can literally have three different translations from three different people haha.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.