Is there an API/add on that only marks a card green after all on'yomi/kun'yomi variations are entered?

I feel like I’m missing out on the word variations because I’m only entering 1/3 words for example for the card to be greened(correct) and I sometimes forget the other 2/3 because I don’t input those.

I’m not sure any such script exists, but just to clarify, are you talking about words (vocab items) or kanji?

Can you give an example of a situation you want to do this?

Both. Vocab and Kanji.

Shape - 形 - けい, ぎょう

Normally inputting either けい or ぎょう will mark it correct. I want a script that makes me input both before marking it green.

I feel like with vocab, there could be some value in that, though words that genuinely have multiple acceptable readings are in the minority.

With kanji, I understand why you might consider it a concern, but vocab serves the purpose of testing you on all those other readings.

形 as a kanji can be かたち, かた, けい, ぎょう, or なり… and I think it just would be overwhelming to try and aim for complete coverage every time.

For some kanji it would be even crazier, like 生 (せい, しょう, なま, い, う, お, は, な, き, いのち…).

So I can see value in using this for some vocab items, but I would just say that for kanji the vocab items themselves basically do that function for you with regard to possible kanji readings.

But if it’s what you really want to do, maybe someone knows of a script that does it.

7 Likes
4 Likes

I’m not crazy about the idea of forcing the user to input every possible kanji reading since there are plenty of kanji out there with a crap ton of possible readings (some common, some not) and that would just get overwhelming. But I do like the idea of harmlessly quizzing yourself on the most common readings, separate from the SRS.

As mentioned before, the vocabulary cards are meant to drill you on kanji readings, but I do find myself forgetting some readings more easily because they seem to appear relatively rarely in the vocab WK teaches (some that spring to mind is the りき reading for 力 or the ぎょう reading for 形.) But then again, I only made it to level 27 before I started over, so I may be wrong about that.

2 Likes

That’s because those readings are relatively rare in general :slight_smile:

(Knowing that 人形 is にんぎょう (and what it means) is about a thousand times more useful than knowing in the abstract that 形 can be read ぎょう, anyway.)

3 Likes