Add more readings to a kanji

Hello everyone !
First of all, excuse me if I don’t post in the good section !
I searched over the web but I couldn’t find an answer and if has already been answered, please excuse me again !

Is there any way or script to add another on’yomi to a kanji ?

For example this kanji ‘女’ has the on’yomi ジョon Wanikani. But this kanji has other on’yomi reading that this site doesn’t provide (ニョ、 ニョウ). I would like to had these two readings to the kanji, like the same way I can add synonym. Is there anyway to do such thing ?

Also I would like to know if there is any script or way to input every on’yomi at once ? This way I could remember all of them and not use the same reading again gain.

Did you understand my questions ?

The questions are understandable, but I would feel a little bit bad if I didn’t warn you that your proposed changes would make your studying quite a bit less effective.

I don’t know of any script like the one you are suggesting, but maybe you should give Anki or Houhou a go?

Did you understand my questions? yes

Is there any way or script to add another on’yomi to a kanji? No, other readings will be taught through vocab

3 Likes

I understand, but I would like to point out something. Well, firstly, I dont know of such a script. But the part where you enter in all at once would probably be less useful than you think. There’s a reason WK only teaches you the most common reading; some other readings only make an appearance in one or two common words and aren’t worth learning with the kanji. For 女, 女房 is the only common word that uses にゅう as a reading. For sake of efficiency, you may want to rethink this approach. Just my two cents/a warning based off of my experience, but you are obviously free to do whatever you think will be best.

2 Likes

WK actually avoids the rare readings of various Kanji, if they’re in a common word you can often find them later, but rare readings that aren’t really in any common words are actively excluded, see 井 as an example.

1 Like

I understand the fact that Wanikani focuses only on the common readings, but as a great lover of this language I would like to learn it in all its details and subtleties.

I feel a bit disappointed that WK doesn’t provide this feature. Of course by default the very common readings are set up, but it would be very nice to add readings by ourselves.

I think you should really consider what @Vanilla has said. WaniKani is a teaching website/tool where the focus is to teach you kanji as quickly and efficiently as possible. There may be time down the road to learn those one off variations of each kanji, but for now focus on the core readings because that alone can be overwhelming at times.

1 Like

Understandable. For something like that, you are probably better off just going off of dictionaries. Also beware that some kanji have a LOT of possible readings. 生 has like 150 iirc.

Ill search around and see if I can find a script.

that allows multiple answers, but doen’t require them.

I would not say “very common”, I would say “It doesn’t have rare readings”. Even め is taught on here for 女 in 女神.

If you want rare readings, the ones you listed aren’t even the only ones. Here’s a list of all the readings.

Goon: にょ (nyo, Jōyō)
Kan’on: じょ (jo, Jōyō)←ぢよ (dyo, historical)
Kan’yōon: にょう (nyō, Jōyō, uncommon)
Kun: おんな (onna, 女, Jōyō); め (me, 女); おみな (omina, 女); おうな (ōna, 女); おなあ (onā, 女); おな (ona, 女); おなご (onago, 女)
Nanori: た (ta); つき (tsuki); な (na)

If you want to learn such useful words as 女犯, I think you’re on your own. But I think you’re putting the cart before the horse here.

3 Likes

My question is how do YOU even know that word lol.

I do agree with this tho. OP, I understand you like the language, but you’ll be better off learning things in the normal order. After becoming fluent, there are people who go on to learn the more archaic forms/uncommon readings for kanji and words. You can set a goal to even pass level 1 of the kanji kentei, but before all of that you should first focus on fluency. All of these things really won’t help you with fluency and will only slow you down right now. Again, cant force you to do anything, but just reconsider.

Also, you can only insert certain readings on a kanji review for a reason: WK wants to reinforce in you which ones are more common. If you could answer any reading, imagine how many problems that would bring.

1 Like

I think you don’t understand Japanese very well yet… As everyone else said, it’s not worth it learning all the readings for a kanji when it’s going to be different very rarely but don’t worry, I’m sure that after sticking up with WaniKani for some more time will make you realize what this language is about. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve got my secrets.

But I will give a little bit of history: Go’on readings mainly existed in words relating to Buddhism and therefore often remaining Go’on readings are 仏教語

3 Likes

Obviously you are a Buddhist priest and have a hard time following the rules, so your superiors keep yelling it at you…:upside_down_face:

Hi guys. Phew, right on time before the topic closes!

Yeah, I’m totally just starting out at Level 1, and I completely agree with wanting to learn only the single most common readings, the road ahead looks incredibly overwhelming as is. But I like that WaniKani gives me hope to understand what seems like a forest of millions of hieroglyphics…

Anyways, my question is, for the very first few Kanji, WaniKani occasionally offers more than one reading, e.g. 人 = にん,じん (and Google Translate reads it like ひと? facepalm – and it’s only the beginning, f$# me – ok I get it, WaniKani shows me that’s one of the two Kun’yomi – but isn’t that the more common one if that’s what Google is giving me?)

But there doesn’t seem to be a “preferred” reading even within On’yomi. So – I guess I should remember both, but WaniKani doesn’t let me input a comma or semicolon (I’m mostly using the Android App.)

So – can I somehow use this script to allow me to do that?
Thanks everybody, wish me luck.

WaniKani will teach you more readings as you go on. They only teach more than one in the lesson when there are multiple within that category (onyomi or kunyomi).

As you learn words that use 人, you will encounter words where it’s read にん and ones where it’s じん. I can pretty much guarantee you won’t forget that both readings exist, because the hard part is remembering which one to use, not what readings are possible.

Google translate gives ひと as the reading because that’s what the reading of the word 人 is. That’s a slightly different conversation than which reading is used in more words overall.

1 Like

Just choose one to answer with and try to remember both.

1 Like

No, what Google Translate gives you back should not be taken as the common reading of 人 in words. The vocab word 人 has the reading ひと but that does not mean that 人 as a kanji in a word has ひと as its most common reading.

According to Jisho, words containing 人 have the following break down of readings:

ひと- 209
にん - 146
じん - 404

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.