Is there a way to remove a word from showing up in my reviews?

You can find it in something like 広辞苑 for sure (while there are many slang words that wouldn’t have been added to that yet). It wouldn’t be in a biology textbook, but many other body part words wouldn’t either.

Yeah if it is limited use like that I can see the OP’s point. I think I read something about wanikani removing it eventually?

I’m not sure exactly what you mean. You’re definitely about 100x more likely to hear / see this than the anatomical terms unless you are seeking them out.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not if OP is going to be able to avoid the word for the rest of their life but eh.

Between balls and STD, I’m not sure Wanikani really needs a “PG13” filter if it’s just a handful of words but I’ve seen a few other threads by teachers/ALTs campaigning for its removal as well LOL!

If you did the lesson already, I don’t think there is any way to skip a single word, except if you are lucky and someone developed a script for that (but I don’t recall one)

Probably the best you can do is burned it quickly ? :thinking: if you never fail it, it’s 8 reviews all and all.

I am not knowledgeable on Japanese use of anatomical terms, but for English there are many words for male and female genitalia some slang and some more appropriate for academic/medical purposes. I wouldn’t expect a secondary English learner to learn the more vulgar terms in a textbook or English learning website either.

The main point for me is that I don’t understand how vulgar or appropriate 金玉 is for use depending on the situation.

It might get a kid scolded if they said it in front of their parents without a good reason (depends more on the parents than the word, I guess), but I don’t think it would be bleeped or obscured on most TV programs.

As was mentioned, it’s about as “vulgar” as “balls.” In plenty of scenarios, saying something more “anatomically precise” would be stranger.

1 Like

I work in medicine so nothing to do with venturing into different circles of the internet or the world.

Even if I didn’t work in medicine, I know I would come across the word anyway because I’ve come across it in music, films, books, and plays.

Fair enough.

Unfortunately, as mentioned, there’s no way to skip it entirely without a script to bypass it every lesson or to just push through with a synonym and get it right every time so it gets burned quickly.

synonym suggestion: golden pies. mmmm, pie.

1 Like

Thanks that makes sense. I think wanikani could do better at indicating the context in which some words are used, but without the cultural knowledge I do not think I could weigh in further, and I think I may be getting off topic of what the OP wanted to discuss.

1 Like

No offense, but I think y’all are being a bit callus here. Would there be this kind of push-back if OP had said “suicide?”

Personally, practicing 必死 while self isolating really made me anxious. I’ve never had issues with it before and now I’m much calmer when I see it. At that time though, it would’ve been nice to have a way to put just death related words on vacation or something similar. I can imagine if you’ve just lost a close loved one and just want to take your mind off of the lose and practice Japanese that it would be helpful to have a system like that.

5 Likes

My dad’s an alcoholic. I can guarantee it wasn’t fun at all growing up like that. I still learned お酒 without thinking twice about it. Life is what it is and if you think the world will cater to your every need, you’re in for a rough ride. Deal with it, just like we all do.

Edit because I sound like a grumpy old guy (I’m not, I promise): I’m not talking about you personally or attacking anyone or belittling your point of view. It’s just an opinion.

Edit again, because.
What I’m really trying to say is (from personal experience and from caring for people going through any sort of horribleness you can imagine): you are not responsible for whatever shit life throws at you, but you are absolutely 100% capable of choosing how you react to it. This is by no means easy. This also not a covert way of shifting blame nor trying to put individual responsibility above all else. But is is possible, and trying to avoid a word like testicles on a Japanese language site is not the way to go about whatever it is that you’re going through.
So it’s more like “you can deal with it but perhaps this is not the best way” rather than “deal with it” which is more about my personal frustrations :wink:
Unless this is about religion. If you avoid testicles because of religious reasons, you’re just an idiot, I’m sorry.

7 Likes

Well that’s a straw man isn’t it?

I don’t think balls and suicide are ever comparable.

1 Like

I do agree to a certain extent. I had a rough time with 亡くなる and 急死 for a bit after I lost a family member last year. In the end, I just had to focus on the fact that they are really only words. They have no power over me, especially as they’re only really present for a few seconds when I do reviews/lessons.

That being said, I think death-related words and dirty-joke related words are different kettles of fish, and that to draw a comparison is some kind of false equivalency. So no, I don’t think there would be the same push-back.

Edit: Also it’s very important to know even what could be considered ‘darker’, death-related words, because if you encounter them in the wild it’s probably a serious issue that needs to be treated carefully, and not knowing them could lead you into trouble and/or hurt someone emotionally.

2 Likes

I think it is important to be able to have conversations about heavy topics like death and suicide so I appreciate learning the vocabulary.

Making language learning a sterile experience devoid of any emotion would make it a lot less exciting and interesting. I appreciate the inclusion of words in wanikani that reflect the more uncomfortable side of the human experience as well.

9 Likes

OP said they didn’t want to talk about it. That could mean anything. It could be for a superficial reason or it could be for a different reason that would put them on the same level. I don’t want to get into here because I’d like to respect OP’s wishes.

1 Like

I wasn’t demanding that OP talks about whatever trauma or dislike is associated with testicles.

There was an insinuation that because I encounter the word regularly that there’s something weird about that and I was pointing out that it’s a completely normal word.

In my response to you I was pointing out that testicles is not comparable to other triggering words like suicide, death, rape, etc.

1 Like

Ok, guys, I think we’ve addressed the concern. Let’s bring this conversation to a close before we start deciding on OP’s behalf which words they should or should not find uncomfortable.

Or worse, before the popcorn gallery starts chiming in with “toughen up”.

16 Likes

It’s great to learn emotionally charged and heavy words. I’m not arguing that. What I am trying to say it that sometimes the timing isn’t great and a language learning application might not be the place that someone wants to be triggered.

You said I was making a straw man argument, so I felt it was necessary to be clearer about what I was insinuating. It seems like this’ll turn into a circular argument if I continue though, which is pointless when I’m trying to respect OP’s wishes.

Cool, I never said anything about that, so I’m not sure why it’s in the middle of your reply to me. Let’s stop arguing altogether.

2 Likes