[iOS] Tsurukame - native app with offline lessons and reviews

Does nobody care about Android? snif
Surely I can’t be the only Android user out there.
Any light shed on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

I haven’t run into the crashing problem, possibly because I’m low level and just haven’t run into the missing radicals yet.
But I just hit level 6, and I’ve been using the new version for a few days now, and I haven’t any syncing issues since then. The app and the site seem to agree nicely on how slow the progress is that I am making :wink:

This problem showed up for me. It can be fixed in iOS. Go to Settings → General → Language & Region and check the preferred language order. If Japanese isn’t there, add it. If Chinese is also there, put Japanese before Chinese. That should fix it for you.

The problem is not “minor differences”… it’s literally “not Japanese” kanji showing up. But not a problem with the app. :smiley:

There’s a nifty android app for WK that I forget what’s called. I especially liked the feature of being able to look at kanji and vocabulary per level. The iOS apps available don’t have that. There’s no offline feature, though.

Has anyone else had the problem of getting repeat reviews with Tsurukame? It happened to me twice today. Also, it showed 4 less reviews than I was supposed to have for this hour.

This? :3

It’s this app. On the app store it’s called… WK for Wanikani :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, that one. LOL. Hopefully AlliCrab or Tsurukame adds a feature like that cause it’s hella convenient!

Thanks, Joe JPR! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Level first then shuffled, please!

Oddly, I have 0 reviews on the website and 8 reviews in Tsurukame… not sure what to think of that.

Gosh! Good luck with you doing em over!

@davidsansome just to let you know that there’s still some oddities relating to the number of reviews and lessons reported to be available in the app as opposed to actually being available on the site.

For example, I always see 久 again this way, along with the vocab 久しい and 久しぶり, and even when I burn them they still reappear. In a similar vein, the likes of 待たせる and 待ちぼうけ can be completed repeatedly and still reappear when the app is reloaded, and 知り合い reappears even though it’s now supposedly one level above what I’m at, even though it was originally in a lower level when I learned it.

And I’m not sure why the app reports I have 14 lessons when the site reports 13.

It’s always the same reviews that appear when I log out of and back into the app (in an attempt to fix the problems), which seem to coincide with the changes to WK that happened just recently. Is there a definitive way to fix these issues? I have exported my local-cache.db if you need it to help figure out how to solve the problem.

1 Like

Can confirm I’m seeing 久 + the vocab as well and reviews show different numbers on app and site.

Sorry, my wording wasn’t the best. I am actually developing my app, not related with Tsurukame at all, since I’m working with Android.

1 Like

Hey, sorry it took so long to reply, I’m not that active in the community.

I was also using Java and Jsoup. What I can tell you is that the developers tools from your browser are your new best friends. I’m using Firefox, and you have this Network tab that watches for every request made by the page you are at the moment, and also the Storage tab that keeps track of the cookies and stuff.

To do any kind of web navigation programmatically, first try doing it manually and keep track of the request/response and cookies using these tools, and then replicate that navigation with code. That’s basically it, but it’s very general. DM me if you have any problems, I could help you out!

1 Like

Hey Zingaro, sorry for the late reply.

As I stated above, I’m not continuing this project, but I really liked the way it handled the reviews and lessons, and used that as a motivation to start my own project.

I’m a beginner, haven’t done absolutely nothing in Android before. I’m making some progress but it will take a loooong time, since I’ve to learn how to do every single thing (mostly UI and code-conventions, since this is the first time I’m working in a project this big), and I’d like to have an experience as close as possible to wanikani.

I’m hosting the work on github but it isn’t public yet. I’d like to have something I could call a beta (hell, even an alpha) version, but I didn’t get that far yet.

Hi guys.

Yeah, WK for Wanikani is by far the main way I interact with Wanikani, very practical to pull out my phone and do reviews whenever I’m waiting for something – but there’s a single feature that’s sorely missing everytime I take a flight and desperately want to do Japanese reviews: no offline support. So yeah – whatever’s easier – adding offline support to WK for Wanikani, or porting Tsurukame to Android (since the offline functionality has already been “cracked” there) – I’d just like to do my reviews offline, utimately, and I’m willing to help development towards such a feature.

Hey jonanaht, no problem.
You’ve clarified you’re not talking about Tsurukame at all, but another Android app.
So my original question remains, can you share the Tsurukame code on Github so we can try to port to Android, or is that a hopeless cause?
Thanks.
Marc

Tsurukame is already on GitHub as posted by @davidsansome before quite some while:

Oh - thanks dunsany. I missed that. Looks like I have a lot to play with then. :slight_smile: Thanks again.

Very impressive app! Is there a PayPal or some other donation option?

1 Like