[iOS] Mobile AlliCrab for WaniKani

pedrothedagger said...I'm loving the app!

As a suggestion, on the current level Kanji remaining list, it'd be neat to be able to tap the kanji to bring up a small window with their primary meaning and readings, like clicking on the same view on the web does. I use that view to do a quick self review so being able to check if I'm correct right there in the list would be very convenient!
Thanks! I have this on my list to do.

yarik2004 said... have been using the app and love it! 

i do have one request, but i am not sure if you can fix it in the app or it is WK-side issue.

I take my ipad on subway and review while i travel to work. Between the stations there is no cellular connection, so info about missed items does not load. I switch to dictinnary (tangorin in my case) and when I return to WK app, I am often greeted with "lost connection" sign. It bugs me a lot because I need to wait until the next station to reload everything. 

Is there anything you can do, to preload info or just stop this sign from appearing? When I was using Kiko's app, I was able to continue typing answers even with the sign on top, because it had "auto focus" on typing promt (i.e. you did not have to touch screen after typing an answer) by the way, this feature would also be awesome, since I use an external keyboard.

so I hope I explained the issue well enough, ask me if you still have questions.

thanks again for great app!
Thanks! The next version (1.1) will fix the keyboard focus issue, so that the answer input box receives keyboard focus and pops the software keyboard up.  This will give you back your workaround.  I don't want to just remove the "lost connection" indicator because it's important to know your answers won't be submitted until you get a data signal again, but I'll look into ways of making it less intrusive.

Been using that app a lot during study sessions away from my house and it’s been really useful. However I was wondering if you could add the Stroke Order Diagram ( /t/Userscript-Stroke-Order-Diagram/5040/1 ) script in somehow.

Thanks for the great app,

Thanks! By the way - not sure if I have great repro steps, but I’ve noticed if I’m in the browser view in the forums, tap someone’s profile, and then swipe left to go back, the app crashes. May not be super reproducible but it’s happened twice now.

Edit; aha - it only happens if the page I get to the users profile from is the list of threads inside a forum. It doesn’t happen if I opened the profile from within a thread.

Riari said...Been using that app a lot during study sessions away from my house and it's been really useful. However I was wondering if you could add the Stroke Order Diagram ( /t/Userscript-Stroke-Order-Diagram/5040/1 ) script in somehow.

Thanks for the great app,
I'll have a look at this when I do the full item view for Kanji.  This will be my next priority after 1.1 is released.

pedrothedagger said...Thanks! By the way - not sure if I have great repro steps, but I've noticed if I'm in the browser view in the forums, tap someone's profile, and then swipe left to go back, the app crashes. May not be super reproducible but it's happened twice now.

Edit; aha - it only happens if the page I get to the users profile from is the list of threads inside a forum. It doesn't happen if I opened the profile from within a thread.
I'm in the middle of a fairly major overhaul of the web component, and I can't reproduce this on my development version of 1.1.  Hopefully this version will fix this for you as well once it's released.

This is beautiful!

The app crashes for me if I’m in a review or lesson session and click on a kanji to open a second page to go to the kanji overview page. I’m using the Test Flight version.

cplaverty said...I'm in the middle of a fairly major overhaul of the web component, and I can't reproduce this on my development version of 1.1.  Hopefully this version will fix this for you as well once it's released.
 I don't know what all is involved in putting a new build up on TestFlight, but I wouldn't mind trying to repro it if it's easy for you! I'm using the 1.1 up there now.

Darcinon said... This is beautiful!
Thanks! (*^_^*)

Izana said... The app crashes for me if I'm in a review or lesson session and click on a kanji to open a second page to go to the kanji overview page. I'm using the Test Flight version.

pedrothedagger said... I don't know what all is involved in putting a new build up on TestFlight, but I wouldn't mind trying to repro it if it's easy for you! I'm using the 1.1 up there now.

I've just published a new build of 1.1 to TestFlight. Can you both re-test? If you're still seeing issues, please let me know what kind of device you've got and what version of iOS you're running. Thanks!

Just grabbed the new build - looks good, I can’t repro the crash.

I have a suggestion for a future addition. cause a lesson reorder function be added in to the script  so vocab comes before the next set of kanji.

So, not possible yet to use it without being connected ?
I’m using an iPod and my only way to have internet for me is WiFi, of course i have it home, but at school it don’t work always) :frowning:
If it’s not possible, will it be added ? (to make reviews without being connected, it would synchronise once it’s connected for exemple ?)

pedrothedagger said...Just grabbed the new build - looks good, I can't repro the crash.
That's great news, thanks!

Maveric said...I have a suggestion for a future addition. cause a lesson reorder function be added in to the script  so vocab comes before the next set of kanji.
Integration of a reorder script is a common request and something I'd definitely like to do.  But there's still quite a bit I want to do with the app before I start looking at this.

Capu said...So, not possible yet to use it without being connected ?
I'm using an iPod and my only way to have internet for me is WiFi, of course i have it home, but at school it don't work always) :(
If it's not possible, will it be added ? (to make reviews without being connected, it would synchronise once it's connected for exemple ?)

Unfortunately, there just isn't support for this in the WaniKani API.  If this changes and API support is ever added, I will be very eager to add support for an offline mode into the app.  But at this point in time it's just not possible, and I've not heard either way whether this is something the WaniKani team would even consider.

I’m encountering some weird behavior.

KeitaiWaniKani on my phone never seems to progress beyond the “Finishing” stage of syncing when I’m on my 4G connection. The app updates the review timeline and next review times, but the status bar at the bottom still indicates that syncing is incomplete. Since it’s updating the review times, I just ignore what the status bar says and assume syncing’s complete.

It works fine on WiFi. I thought my 4G connection might be slow or have too much latency, but I’m watching online videos and loading websites without a hitch.

I’m running the App Store version of KeitaiWaniKani on an iPhone 6 running iOS 9.1.

Thanks for all your work, btw. :slight_smile:

cplaverty said

Capu said...So, not possible yet to use it without being connected ?
I'm using an iPod and my only way to have internet for me is WiFi, of course i have it home, but at school it don't work always) :(
If it's not possible, will it be added ? (to make reviews without being connected, it would synchronise once it's connected for exemple ?)

Unfortunately, there just isn't support for this in the WaniKani API.  If this changes and API support is ever added, I will be very eager to add support for an offline mode into the app.  But at this point in time it's just not possible, and I've not heard either way whether this is something the WaniKani team would even consider.
 Okay, thank you for the answer. Anyway it's okay, I forgot that the connection is bad only in the amphitheater, in the other rooms i have internet so it's fine, i can use it at school :))

Hey! Is there any news about release 1.1?

Progress on 1.1 is unfortunately going rather slowly at the moment.  Most of the work is done, but I’ve got a few rough edges that still need sorting before I’ll be happy to release it to the App Store.  I’ve unfortunately not had as much time to work on it as I’d hoped, so progress has been fairly stagnant over the past couple months.  I’m hoping that I’ll be able to pick this up and finish the remaining work off this month.

cplaverty said... Progress on 1.1 is unfortunately going rather slowly at the moment.  Most of the work is done, but I've got a few rough edges that still need sorting before I'll be happy to release it to the App Store.  I've unfortunately not had as much time to work on it as I'd hoped, so progress has been fairly stagnant over the past couple months.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to pick this up and finish the remaining work off this month.
that would be awesome! 
thanks again for the great app, it is a lifesaver for me. I use it everyday!

This app is great! I love the reminder, upcoming review lesson and ignore answer (so many typos using touch screen!)

I find adding user synonym after answering a review correctly, doesn’t work. I can write and click add but it doesn’t register. the next time i see the word, the added synonym is not yet.
 I still have to go to wanikani website via my computer. Just wondering if this is a bug.

yarik2004 said...that would be awesome! 
thanks again for the great app, it is a lifesaver for me. I use it everyday!
Thanks!  I'm glad you like it. 

wan said... This app is great! I love the reminder, upcoming review lesson and ignore answer (so many typos using touch screen!)

I find adding user synonym after answering a review correctly, doesn't work. I can write and click add but it doesn't register. the next time i see the word, the added synonym is not yet.
 I still have to go to wanikani website via my computer. Just wondering if this is a bug.
I just tried adding a user synonym with my test version of 1.1 and didn't have a problem.  I've changed the web component used for reviewing, so that may have solved the issue.  When the new version is released in a couple weeks, can you give this another try and let me know if you still have an issue?

I use this app everyday. Thanks so much for making it! It really helps with my studies.