[iOS] Mobile AlliCrab for WaniKani

cplaverty said...
wan said... This app is great! I love the reminder, upcoming review lesson and ignore answer (so many typos using touch screen!)

I find adding user synonym after answering a review correctly, doesn't work. I can write and click add but it doesn't register. the next time i see the word, the added synonym is not yet.
 I still have to go to wanikani website via my computer. Just wondering if this is a bug.
I just tried adding a user synonym with my test version of 1.1 and didn't have a problem.  I've changed the web component used for reviewing, so that may have solved the issue.  When the new version is released in a couple weeks, can you give this another try and let me know if you still have an issue?
 Thanks for replying! I think I try to add user synonym after i answering the review, where you can click the eye symbol, and try to add from there.
Sure, i'll try again when that time comes!

on another note, when i read the forums via the keitaiWK app, sometimes it crashes and also using the "quote" feature of the forum via the app doesn't seem to work very well. No biggie. I just need to put the extra 10 second effort of using my mobile web browser instead of the app to surf the forums, aha.
wellington2k said... I use this app everyday. Thanks so much for making it! It really helps with my studies.
Thanks!  I'm glad you like it.

wan said...on another note, when i read the forums via the keitaiWK app, sometimes it crashes and also using the "quote" feature of the forum via the app doesn't seem to work very well. No biggie. I just need to put the extra 10 second effort of using my mobile web browser instead of the app to surf the forums, aha.
I'll have a look into this.  I don't generally read the forums through the app, and never post from the phone even in Safari as it often doesn't work for me.  But I'll do so for a while and see if I can reproduce this.

Version 1.1 is now available in the App Store!

New in this version

This version has some usability improvements to the review and lesson pages.  The answer box will now have keyboard focus immediately, without requiring a tap on the answer field first.  On iPhones with larger screen sizes, font sizes have been increased to improve readability.

The progress view for current-level radicals and kanji now shows time remaining until next review, and minimum time to Guru level.  Tapping a cell will load the item page from the WaniKani web site.

Two additional user scripts have been added: WaniKani Improve and WaniKani Double Check.

Nice update! looks really nice on the phone now. I only have one issue so far, because of the repositioning of the ignore button to the center, when I get something wrong, the text bubble popup that says “would you like to check the meaning” or whatever, now covers the ignore button. the only way to get rid of it seems to be to tap the eye icon, then tap again, now I can see the ignore button

MrFujisawa said... Nice update! looks really nice on the phone now. I only have one issue so far, because of the repositioning of the ignore button to the center, when I get something wrong, the text bubble popup that says "would you like to check the meaning" or whatever, now covers the ignore button. the only way to get rid of it seems to be to tap the eye icon, then tap again, now I can see the ignore button
Ah sorry about that. Thanks for letting me know. I'll fix this. 

This app is looking amazing. Keep up the good work!

The app is amazing thank you SO much for developing and supporting it!!

new version looks great. I’m having one minor issue which is that after every answer the whole window really quickly shifts up or down, like a twitch. Doesn’t cause any lack of functionality or anything, it just can be hard on the eyes after a while. (I’m on iPhone 6S)

I don’t remember if that was happening before but I really noticed it after the latest update.

mahum said... This app is looking amazing. Keep up the good work!
Thank you very much!

chrispthompson said... The app is amazing thank you SO much for developing and supporting it!!

new version looks great. I'm having one minor issue which is that after every answer the whole window really quickly shifts up or down, like a twitch. Doesn't cause any lack of functionality or anything, it just can be hard on the eyes after a while. (I'm on iPhone 6S)

I don't remember if that was happening before but I really noticed it after the latest update.
That twitching is new in this version, and started happening after I increased the font sizes.  I'll see what I can do about fixing it, as I agree it's distracting.

I am using the override script and since the last app update, the override button gets blocked by the WaniKani standard “Need help? View the correct reading and mnemonic” notification box, when you enter an incorrect answer. The button used to be in a different location previously, where it did not get blocked by these messages.

ypi said... I am using the override script and since the last app update, the override button gets blocked by the WaniKani standard "Need help? View the correct reading and mnemonic" notification box, when you enter an incorrect answer. The button used to be in a different location previously, where it did not get blocked by these messages.
I've got a patch build 1.1.1 that fixes this positioning problem that's currently awaiting review.  Given the normal review times, I'd expect it to be released next week.

Hi there. Found another bug i think. It seems to no longer be showing the burn level for radicals when getting them right, see below

MrFujisawa said... Hi there. Found another bug i think. It seems to no longer be showing the burn level for radicals when getting them right, see below
Someone reported this behaviour with the WaniKani Double Check script. 

/t/UserScript-WaniKani-Double-Check/8396/13

Can you try doing a review session with it disabled and let me know if you are still seeing the same problem? I'll have a look as well and see if I can determine what's going on. 
cplaverty said...
ypi said... I am using the override script and since the last app update, the override button gets blocked by the WaniKani standard "Need help? View the correct reading and mnemonic" notification box, when you enter an incorrect answer. The button used to be in a different location previously, where it did not get blocked by these messages.
I've got a patch build 1.1.1 that fixes this positioning problem that's currently awaiting review.  Given the normal review times, I'd expect it to be released next week.
 Great! I really appreciate all the hard work you guys are putting into this app! 
cplaverty said...
MrFujisawa said... Hi there. Found another bug i think. It seems to no longer be showing the burn level for radicals when getting them right, see below
Someone reported this behaviour with the WaniKani Double Check script. 

/t/UserScript-WaniKani-Double-Check/8396/13

Can you try doing a review session with it disabled and let me know if you are still seeing the same problem? I'll have a look as well and see if I can determine what's going on. 
 Ah ok, I'll check the next time I have a radical

I really miss a feature in the app… What is called the 1x1 mode, where a kanji or vocabulary reading and meaning always show up right after each other.

The feature is seen in the “wanikani reorder ultimate” user script, and in the old iphone app’s lightning mode.

confirmed its the script that’s causing radicals not to display the srs status

Frouzich said... I really miss a feature in the app... What is called the 1x1 mode, where a kanji or vocabulary reading and meaning always show up right after each other.

The feature is seen in the "wanikani reorder ultimate" user script, and in the old iphone app's lightning mode.
Adding support for reorder scripts is something I'd like to do.  The excellent Reorder Ultimate script is what I was looking at implementing, but the interface isn't very mobile-friendly.  So there's a little bit of additional work to build a different interface before I can drop the script in, but it's definitely something I'm interested in doing.

MrFujisawa said... confirmed its the script that's causing radicals not to display the srs status
Thank you for following up on this. I haven't yet had a chance to look into the cause, but I'll take a look at the script when I can.

Just stopping by to say THANK YOU for making this app!! Makes the whole wanikani learning experience so much easier, and more fun! Love the design, and not to mention the ignore wrong answer button. So many typos… 

Will you be adding a progress overview for the vocab? Would be nice to get an estimate on how much is left of those as well.

Anyways, awesome job! Huge thumbs up ~~

silvia said... Just stopping by to say THANK YOU for making this app!! Makes the whole wanikani learning experience so much easier, and more fun! Love the design, and not to mention the ignore wrong answer button. So many typos... 

Will you be adding a progress overview for the vocab? Would be nice to get an estimate on how much is left of those as well.

Anyways, awesome job! Huge thumbs up ~~
Thanks! I'm glad you like the app. 

Since progress on vocab doesn't affect levelling, I wasn't planning on adding a status bar to the dashboard like there is for radicals and kanji. Do you mean a view like the progress lattice that is available on the site?

https://www.wanikani.com/lattice/vocabulary/status

Or did you have something else in mind?

The 1.1.1 update has been delayed.  Apple has rejected my submission as they have now decided, after approving two prior versions, to object to my app name.  They believe that the “app name and device name misleads users to believe that this is the official app for WaniKani.”  I appealed on the basis that I think I make clear this is an unofficial app not only in the App Store description but also on the welcome screen of the app itself.  As I expected, the appeal was denied, so I’m left with the choice of either renaming my app or never updating it again.

I’ve requested they provisionally release 1.1.1 to resolve the inconvenience that many are experiencing, and that I would submit a new binary afterward with a new name.  I expect this request to be denied, but it’s worth a try.  At this point, it is likely to be at least a week before an update can be released.  In the interim, 1.1.1 was released as a beta on TestFlight last week.  Anyone who wants to pick up the new version can mail me at keitaiwanikani@icloud.com and I’ll add you to the TestFlight list.