[iOS / Android / Web] Juken - Review App for WaniKani

Thank you for the quick reply. I wasn’t sure what permissions were needed so I just created a new token and selected it, looks great now, thx! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Just found this and downloaded, and I’m glad I read the full thread before adding my token. Might be helpful to expand the description in the app stores to note that write permission is needed if you want your results to upload to WK.

I may just leave this read only at first to use as an additional study tool, but honestly the typo problem is the biggest reason why I cringe at doing WK reviews on my devices so this may so this might solve that.

Thanks so much to all of you working on this!! I can barely keep up with my WK, where do you all find the time!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Now that I have given this a try and better understand the format, I have changed to a token with write access. I think read-only access will be useful if custom review lists become available in the future, so I have retained the token that only provides read access.

Sharing my thoughts here if anyone coming along behind me also has hesitations about using this review format.

At first I was not sure I would go for this, because I was not sure I can really trust myself. I still need to go through the mental exercise of spelling out in my head each of the hiragana before I press reveal for the reading. Otherwise, I am not sure I will truly be honest with myself on some of the details, especially if I am trying to finish quickly. While it’s easy to quickly determine whether I knew that the reading included にん vs じん or もの vs ぶつ. But, without taking the time to spell it out in my head, did I really remember that it is じゅvs じゅう, or と vs とう? (Note to self - time to sharpen the focus on pronunciation!)

Then I decided to try trusting myself and see how it goes.
I considered that I’m mostly interested in being able to read signs etc when I can ever travel to Japan again, and having conversations. I’m not learning to write kanji at all at this point as that is way down on my hierarchy of needs, but actually, even writing notes in kana is probably pretty low. When typing, the fact that I’m not seeing the kanji I’m expecting in the options offered is a clue that spelling is off. So if I slightly cheat myself on a few spellings along the way, oh well - the removal of other impediments to progress wins out.

I just completed a review session with this app and I absolutely love it!

Things I love:

• I love the dual numbering of the review count at the bottom!! Points for styling and UI on that!
  • I also like having card count and review count, with color indicators for each!
  • I love having all of the meanings appear when I reveal! When typing in WK, I tend to always choose a response that I know is safe, or is easy to type, then move on. As a result, I tend to forget many of the secondary meanings. Not so important for some kanji, but matters a lot for, say, 着.
  • I also like that it takes a very intentional touch to reveal the answer- no accidental reveals.

A few feedback items:

• I’d find it helpful to have some form of visual indicator (other than the word :smile:) of whether the meaning or reading is being drilled. It’s easy to mentally identify the meaning, press reveal, and then see that the reading was expected. (Even with the black / white in WK this trips me up more often than I like to say.)
  • On iPad there I see a slight text wrap weirdness in the label for the Reviews display bar.
3 Likes

Thanks so much for this great review! Hearing positive things here about Juken makes me really happy :slight_smile: I’m glad that it’s being useful. And also thanks for the feedback, I’ll definitely keep them in mind.

1 Like

Is it possible to use this Android app for reviews NOT affecting Wanikani levels and stats?

For example, I think it’s really important to type out the answers but I would love to use the swiping method for selected reviews etc and not worry about typing. Kind of like running Anki in parallel to Wanikani.

2 Likes

I completely second that, happens to me waaay too often lol. Some visual cue would be lovely :see_no_evil:

Demo mode doesn’t work.

I’ve created a token with all the permissions except for the last one (user) and the web version shows me I’m all done.

That’s not true.

Works for me on both PC and mobile (tried all available browsers). Likely something on your end.

1 Like

What browser are you using ?

The issue indicates that Array.flat is not supported in your browser, it is however supported by all modern browsers. Juken for web is powered by react-native-web, and its browser support covers only the modern web browsers. I would really recommend you switching to a modern browser as Juken is quite a front-end heavy application, even if I fix this issue in particular by adding a polyfill for Array.flat, something else could potentially break.

I’m using the latest Kiwi browser O_o

Really digging this app! This was exactly what I needed, I love the lightweight interface and how it feels. I never liked having to type in the answer, since i’m terrible at typing on the phone (IOS here), so this was perfect!

Some feeback:
-Have a note somewhere for people who aren’t used to connecting Wanikani to apps to tell them they need to make a token with write permissions in order to submit their reviews. I was super confused about this for a long time, wondering why my reviews were failing on submission…it was through this thread that I actually found it. Maybe have a link accessible from the app to an FAQ?

-My biggest problem is the swiping right/left seems finicky. I can’t just do a quick swipe, I have to swipe hard, or else it just kind of tilts to the side but doesn’t go through. In the same way you made the “easy reveal” button, is it possible to make it so you can just tap the happy/sad faces, or tap either the left or right side of the card?

Otherwise, absolutely great app! I’ve been trying to get back into WaniKani, and this is a great inspiration! Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, I’m glad it’s being useful!

I’ve created a ticket for your first point, and I think that’s a great idea.

For the second point there’s already a ticket, and I added your comment in there.

Thie iOS version looks great, thanks!

1 Like

I like this app a lot! I don’t like typing answers for the reviews on my phone and this makes reviewing less stressful.
However, I would love if you would add the audio to the cards and seeing the mnemonics when I get one wrong…
this would help me to retain the content better as I can remind myself of the mnemonic again.

You’re a lifesaver! This app is incredible, thank you so much for creating it! It’s become my new go-to approach for speeding through my immense review backlogs.

Obviously there are still parts that can use improvement but overall what you have so far is really solid, and quite stable. With a few more features in place, it can replace the native review method almost entirely.
Thank you for including a native dark theme! (Suggestion: Make the loading screen not a bright blue so it doesn’t conflict with the dark theme :slight_smile: )
When you eventually get to implement a detail/description view, I’d suggest being able to trigger showing it and hiding it by clicking/pressing the spacebar once more. So first click to reveal definition, click again for details. Having individual kanji definitions shown here too would be superb, as that is the part I am missing most from this.
A more useful/detailed stats bar at the bottom would be nice too.

Either way this is truly great, so thank you for working on what is possibly the best WK extension ever made! Happy holidays!

2 Likes

You’re a lifesaver! This app is incredible, thank you so much for creating it! It’s become my new go-to approach for speeding through my immense review backlogs.
Obviously there are still parts that can use improvement but overall what you have so far is really solid, and quite stable. With a few more features in place, it can replace the native review method almost entirely.
Thank you for including a native dark theme! (Suggestion: Make the loading screen not a bright blue so it doesn’t conflict with the dark theme :slight_smile: )
When you eventually get to implement a detail/description view, I’d suggest being able to trigger showing it and hiding it by clicking/pressing the spacebar once more. So first click to reveal definition, click again for details. Having individual kanji definitions shown here too would be superb, as that is the part I am missing most from this.
A more useful/detailed stats bar at the bottom would be nice too.
Either way this is truly great, so thank you for working on what is possibly the best WK extension ever made! Happy holidays!

Pretty much everything they said, ditto!!!

1 Like

I just wanted to thank you again for the app. It’s really a lifesaver when you have a ton of reviews. I just blasted through my 1000+ reviews in two days thanks to it haha. This would have taken forever otherwise…

2 Likes

I have a buildup of reviews due to my recent move so it’s going to be helpful as I get back on track! I’m having trouble submitting reviews though, getting an error that says it might be my internet, but I have no internet problems on other apps. Refreshing the app or restarting my phone doesn’t seem to do anything either. I’m using Android btw!

Amazing app thank you so much!

If this included a self study section it would be incredible for just doing quick leech reviews etc.

Again thank you :smiley:

I love the app. It’s super convenient when reviewing on the go.

There is a bug where wrap up mode sometimes leaves out cards. Specifically, wrap up mode only includes cards where you have answered either the meaning or reading right in the current session. It should also include cards where you have gotten either the meaning or reading wrong in the current session. Otherwise, it makes it impossible to do some reviews and then switch devices.

@oguzgelal