Independent news?

Hello, I was just wondering if you folks know of any Japanese websites for independent news covering a wide range of topics? I dont want big corporate news companies, or at least ones with a heavy bias. (a big ask I guess?). I havent followed the news in ages, due to BREXIT being a big mess… But I feel cut off from world events a bit and am looking for a bit of reading? Doesnt have to be long articles or anything, just something to keep me up to date. Any environment, NGO or nature news would also be cool. If you know any good sites please let me know. I have been using easy web japanese but there arent enough interesting articles on there. Thank you in advance.

3 Likes

Sorry arran, I don’t have an answer for you, but

This topic will close 10 years after the last reply.

Is this a new thing?

3 Likes

oh my goodness, that is… a long time lol. Also, more on the topic, I am curious to see if anyone has an answer to this question, and also I wonder whether people think NHK is very biased or not…

2 Likes

Japanese news are terrible, except if you want to read about Akachan Panda or how a tree toppled over in Ehime or something. You will be even more out of the loop.

8 Likes

No, it sometime happened to other threads, too.

1 Like

Different people will have different perception of bias, but at least the NHK News Web Easy political articles I’ve read have been refreshingly unbiased. I don’t read articles there often, but I imagine with how simple they aim to make the articles, there isn’t a whole lot of room for bias.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this qualifies as the big corporate news but I read the Japan times pretty regularly. They seem relatively unbiased. Plus I get the feeling that many of their articles are written by foreign nationals so a lot of their reporting in Japan comes from that point of view. They also cover major world events and from what I have seen they take opinions out of most political articles.

1 Like

Have you tried the normal NHK site? It is big and official, but I feel like I read about stuff on there awhile before Western Media and they mostly stay out of the mess of Western Politics. They have some interesting 特集, but the language they use can sometimes be cute, and not so much 標準語 that you would enjoy with their normal articles. NHKニュース 速報・最新情報

Arran, wherefore art thou

2 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t call NHK Easy News biased, but as @ChristopherFritz さん has pointed out, different people have different perception of bias… Anyway, I hope you’ll find what you are looking for.

P. S. If you are wondering why your post looks a bit weird - it’s because you’ve used ` (located on the same key as ~) instead of ' (located on the same key as ") for an apostrophe.
Discource automatically considers everything between ` symbols to be a fragment of code
If you want to type ` - you have to write backslash (\) before it.

2 Likes