Any good Japanese news sites without paywalls?

I quite like Sankei news, but it can be a hassle to find an article I’d actually try to read.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying. Unless you actually know a lot of Japanese politicians and actors and athletes, it’s not very interesting to read news articles about them. If Satori Reader had lifetime subscription, I would have subscribed a long time ago.

3 Likes

I had Satori, it greatly increased my reading ability but most things bore me on it now. I Will get it again soon not too soon. Prolly for diversity in what I read

1 Like

I’ve found the "easy Japanese News’ IOS app really useful for quick reads on the train in the morning. The free version also has loads of features. Not tried the paid-for version as yet.

All news articles show the approximate level of most words, using JLPT-like suggestions. Really good imo.

3 Likes

NHK news and Nikkei. The latter is very political, but might be interesting if you’re into economy, parties, etc. The former covers a wide range of topics including entertainment and culture. They also have tags so it’s easier to find what you like.

2 Likes

FNN news https://www.fnn.jp/ & https://www.news24.jp/ work for me. Probably more. On YouTube I sometimes watch news channels that have a lot of subtitles. Listening, reading & new vocab practice. Some videos don’t have complete subtitles though; experiment with auto closed captions. YouTube suggests new channels & videos; usually something interesting. In YouTube’s search, try 日テレNEWS , FNN プライムオンライン , TBS NEWS , ANNnewsCH

@MeWho I downloaded the easy Japanese News app, will give it a try; thanks! Nice to have something on my phone.

1 Like

thanks for recomendation!!

Since lvl 11 I use nhk easy news and sankei is overwhelming, dont know where to look at to try to find something fun to read and that I can understand, may complex words :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Big fan of that one myself. Furigana support that can be toggled to JLPT levels, an offline dictionary, multiple voices, night mode, multiple membership options: free, subscription, lifetime, sort articles that are great to read on the train, stories sorted by easy/difficult and by jlpt so you can find one right for your level multiple sources such as NHK,CNN and TBS, available on ANDROID and IOS, not too data heavy. Just a great little app.

If you’re looking for a similar site with no app, NEWS WEB EASY is pretty similar, but lacks certain functions.

1 Like